Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Hello all. I'm a 31 year old male, married and with a son on the way. Very excited for that as well as very nervous. Well let's get down to business shall we? Okay. I'm so tired of working warehouse/general labor jobs. I only have my high school diploma and going to school soon. Actually still deciding on a major.

I know I am a intelligent guy, has a good sense of humor, treat other people like how I would want to be treated and good with computers. Although I don't hold any certifications. I have been helping family and friends with their computer questions for the past 10 years. Also I'm the type of guy that has a eager curious mind. If it sounds like I can either fix it or figure it out. I'm going to. With my trusty friend Google and Internet forums.:cool:

I work a warehouse job because I don't deal well with the public. I'm not a people person. I'm an introvert.Actually I'm more of a ISTP type. It's part of my DNA. I can handle the public but it's not something I look forward to.

I'm looking for a way to venture out of warehouse/general labor jobs. I do know that I would rather have a desk job but they require one or all of the following:

1. Good connections with people.
2. Have the job pretty much handed to you. Company owners children I'm talking about you.
3. Experience
4. A college degree

I only have some of those of those things. Experience for one. I do have experience but in the industry I don't want to be in anymore. Also a college degree in my future but not right now.

So I'm looking for suggestions what I should do? I want to provide for my son. Part of the reason I want to get out of warehouse/general labor jobs is because the pay is horrible for what they expect out of you. Well in my state at least. I live in Utah. The $9 or $10 you get paid when you start out is good if you are single and living with your parents. But not when you are my age, married with a wife that wants to stay home (I'm very supportive of her wanting to stay home) and with a son on the way.

Should I just stick with it until I get my degree? Just looking for good suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
There are a lot of ways you can earn a bunch of money without a college degree (if you don't want to get one). Selling things like cars or trucks can easily net you 100K+ a year. Sales is one of those professions where you can make a ton of money if you're a people person.

I have a few friends who dropped out of college and went on to sell cars/windmills, etc. They all made excellent money and have opened their own dealerships. All it took was sending a resume into a company that was hiring and the rest is history. You seem like an alright guy, and if you interview well I'm sure things will go swell.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
There are a lot of ways you can earn a bunch of money without a college degree (if you don't want to get one). Selling things like cars or trucks can easily net you 100K+ a year. Sales is one of those professions where you can make a ton of money if you're a people person.

I have a few friends who dropped out of college and went on to sell cars/windmills, etc. They all made excellent money and have opened their own dealerships. All it took was sending a resume into a company that was hiring and the rest is history. You seem like an alright guy, and if you interview well I'm sure things will go swell.

Did you read the 'don't deal with public' part of his post?

----------

From what I've read I think an it job would suit you well. Qualifications and experience will both get you the end result you desire. You know how to get the qualifications. Experience is more difficult to get. I suggest either working at best buy or similar if you can get your foot in the door, or try to use your experience to volunteer somewhere (like a local charity or something).
Good luck with your job and the birth of your son.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
It sounds like from my end that you think any well paying job is handed to someone and thats just not the case. There is no reason with hard work it can't be you. Not being a people person doesn't necessarily restrict you from what type of job you work in. I worked in sales from age 22-27 for banks or various financial firms before moving into risk analysis. There were PLENTY of people in sales or other positions that required them to deal with people who weren't good with people, but still were successful. They just had to go about the jobs differently than I did. IT like others have mentioned does sound like a good position for you.

What I'm saying is, don't sell yourself short. Knowing things you are good and not good at can help you, because you know what you need to work on. Also, maybe part of the reason you are shy and introverted is because you kind of presume you are and haven't been in a position to really deal with people before? When I was in school prior to college, I was very shy and quiet and now I never shut up. All it took was getting more comfortable around people

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
It sounds like from my end that you think any well paying job is handed to someone and thats just not the case. There is no reason with hard work it can't be you. Not being a people person doesn't necessarily restrict you from what type of job you work in. I worked in sales from age 22-27 for banks or various financial firms before moving into risk analysis. There were PLENTY of people in sales or other positions that required them to deal with people who weren't good with people, but still were successful. They just had to go about the jobs differently than I did. IT like others have mentioned does sound like a good position for you.

What I'm saying is, don't sell yourself short. Knowing things you are good and not good at can help you, because you know what you need to work on. Also, maybe part of the reason you are shy and introverted is because you kind of presume you are and haven't been in a position to really deal with people before? When I was in school prior to college, I was very shy and quiet and now I never shut up. All it took was getting more comfortable around people

This. I can totally relate. I worked in sales positions with mortgage brokers and banks/credit unions for about 5-6 years before working my way into the nice paying, back office, "no contact with the public" job that I have now. I never enjoyed sales and dealing directly with the public, but without a degree or someone there to "hand me a job" it was what I had to do to move my way up. The point is, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do things you might not enjoy but are perfectly capable of doing, through some hard work and persistence, to put yourself in a better position later on in life. All it takes is a successful year or two in sales (that's usually the easiest way in) with a company to work your way into a position you really want. And you'll probably make some decent money along the way.

But, if you're set on staying at the job you're at now and working your way through school, I would advise checking out a two year technical/junior college. Look into the types of IT degrees they offer. I have plenty of friends in IT that went the two year route, they got placed into jobs by the college in their final semester, and have been working happily in IT ever since. It's quicker, much cheaper, more flevible (classes at night, on the weekends, online, etc.) and a lot of companies actually prefer those students because the majority of the work they do in school is very hands on and directly related to real life work. Go to technical college, get some certifications (A+, Cisco, etc.), get your degree, and you'll be in a great position to land some IT work.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Computer Science sounds good, as the others have said. If you want to go into IT, take the CompTIA A+ certification exam. It's what companies like Best Buy look for when you apply for an IT job. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Did you read the 'don't deal with public' part of his post?

Yes, but I figured that if he was willing to come here an advocate turning his life upside down for money it would be a valid suggestion. One of the easiest ways to advance in earning potential is to stop limiting himself to jobs where he doesn't deal with people.

edit: 6 day old thread bump, oooohhhh lawd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.