Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbiejd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I'm looking to swap my defective iPad with a new one from the apple store but don't want to lose a video app that I bought that apple has since removed from the app store.

I've restored from iCloud before on other devices and know that the apps are re-downloaded post restore and I'm worried that I won't be able to get this app back as it is no longer available to the public. :(

Can someone please walk me through this process so I don't lose one of my most utilized apps when I replace my iPad.

Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This is actually a lot easier than you think, you go to your /Music/iTunes Folder, inside this folder is all your Music and your Applications, if you safe the Folder that has your Applications you're good to go.
But, in a way you don't need to do anything, you just sync the new one with iTunes and you're OK, the new device will even ask it if you want to restore.

It's even better, lets say you update an App, the old ones are removed to the trash, if you put that one back in the Mobile Applications Folder you have the Old one back and it was already registered in your name so you won't loose it.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
The important thing is to make sure you use iTunes for the backup, not iCloud. If you use iCloud then you'll lose any apps that are gone form the App Store.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The important thing is to make sure you use iTunes for the backup, not iCloud. If you use iCloud then you'll lose any apps that are gone form the App Store.

Even if you use iCloud as a restore option, you can still restore the app via iTunes like the above poster mentioned. It's not gone for good if you use iCloud, it just won't get restored to your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.