Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Hey guys,
Ive been both jailbreaking and rooting (android) since the first iPod touch and mytouch 3g (android).

One thing I noticed that JB doesnt have is the ability to overclock the CPU and GPU...Does JB not give that level of access or is it something that devs have found to be pointless? Or, is it just too risky with the iPhone CPUs?

I know on my HTC Sensation, I would push it from 1.2Ghz to 1.6Ghz without any issues. Apps opened faster and benchmarks went sky high.

If it IS possible to OC an iPhone via JB, it seems it would bring new life to an aging model (4 and 4s). It would also possibly help speed up the iPad 3.

My idea is that while a JB 4s might be able to OC at a reasonable level, the actual apps that we run (games) are programmed to run at reduced levels thus OCing is pointless anyways.

Matt

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Performing an OC on an iPhone is not unheard off. However, it remains a High risk task. Remember, the thermals of the iPhone are not meant to hold against a hotter chip(something that will happen as soon as you increase core voltage and frequency).

Moreover, accessing the deep controls of hardware is very hard. So much so, that not even the Dev team could get to it on the 1st Gen (even after Pwnage). We can manipulate or modify the software, but not so much the hardware.

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Performing an OC on an iPhone is not unheard off. However, it remains a High risk task. Remember, the thermals of the iPhone are not meant to hold against a hotter chip(something that will happen as soon as you increase core voltage and frequency).

Moreover, accessing the deep controls of hardware is very hard. So much so, that not even the Dev team could get to it on the 1st Gen (even after Pwnage). We can manipulate or modify the software, but not so much the hardware.

100% wrong!!! Early on (like around 2009ish) pod2g posted a video of an under clocked iPhone. That is the only known instance of someone changing the clock speed on an iDevice that has been publicly displayed. The Kernel that iOS uses is proprietary which is why you don't see any custom OS X/iOS Kernel's. This is also the reason we will likely never see a public means of overclocking an iDevice.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
100% wrong!!! Early on (like around 2009ish) pod2g posted a video of an under clocked iPhone. That is the only known instance of someone changing the clock speed on an iDevice that has been publicly displayed. The Kernel that iOS uses is proprietary which is why you don't see any custom OS X/iOS Kernel's. This is also the reason we will likely never see a public means of overclocking an iDevice.

Hmmm....In the android world, devs would create hacked kernels to allow OCing. Seems to me though, the boost from OCing via hacked kernel was evened out by less optimization due to hacked code running...

Seeing as the A6 runs 1.4Ghz, it would be nice to see what the A5 can do...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Hmmm....In the android world, devs would create hacked kernels to allow OCing. Seems to me though, the boost from OCing via hacked kernel was evened out by less optimization due to hacked code running...

Honestly with the work required, I feel like you're better off selling your A5 device online and buying an A6 device and pony up the 100-200 rather than risking your warranty (if you have one) or screwing up your device altogether.

Not much can slow down the A5 though, it's still a fine chip

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012

In the Android world people like Ktoonsez use OPEN SOURCE Linux Kernels and modify them to run on Android (which is a Linux type OS optimized for ARM). They aren't really "hacking" anything. I don't get the fascination with overclocking smartphones and tablets anyways. I've done it to my Android devices in the past and the only benefits I saw were slightly higher benchmark scores and ALOT of drawbacks such as huge battery drain.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
In the Android world people like Ktoonsez use OPEN SOURCE Linux Kernels and modify them to run on Android (which is a Linux type OS optimized for ARM). They aren't really "hacking" anything. I don't get the fascination with overclocking smartphones and tablets anyways. I've done it to my Android devices in the past and the only benefits I saw were slightly higher benchmark scores and ALOT of drawbacks such as huge battery drain.
I disagree, my Touchpad overclocked is worlds different, it all depends on the device and how low the manufacturer set the speed when compared to what the hardware could normally handle.

TS, there is no overclocking on any iOS device nor there ever be. The iOS OC 'hacks' that you might find online are just aesthetics and not really doing anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.