Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aismaiil

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
All of a sudden yesterday, I noticed that Chrome (or Safari cuz I alternate between the two but one at a time is running) was using 7GB out of 8GB of RAM on my 13inch MBPr !!! is that normal??? :eek:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
All of a sudden yesterday, I noticed that Chrome (or Safari cuz I alternate between the two but one at a time is running) was using 7GB out of 8GB of RAM on my 13inch MBPr !!! is that normal??? :eek:

How many tabs did you have open at the time?

If you had all that usage in only one tab, I suggest closing and re-opening Chrome.

Do you have "click to play" turned on in Chrome? If you run Chrome with a lot of tabs open, it can really use a lot of resources. Turning on click to play means you don't wind up with 78 instances of flash chewing through resources in 80 tabs.

aismaiil

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
How many tabs did you have open at the time?

If you had all that usage in only one tab, I suggest closing and re-opening Chrome.

Do you have "click to play" turned on in Chrome? If you run Chrome with a lot of tabs open, it can really use a lot of resources. Turning on click to play means you don't wind up with 78 instances of flash chewing through resources in 80 tabs.

Thanks for your help :) I have 39 tabs open right now, 4 are youtube documentaries I've been meaning to watch for the past week but never had the time! two soundcloud tabs, and the rest are just articles, I'm sure only a few are flash based. I attached a screenshot of my activity monitor.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    445.2 KB · Views: 100

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have 17 tabs open. Memory used is 6.15 out of 16 GB. Your screenshot shows 600+ meg of swap but I have NO swap. I use click to play so I know that NONE of my tabs have flash open in the background. I would think that turning on click to play would give you some relief. May I also suggest "too many tabs" so you can send inactive tabs to tmt which makes them consume 0 resources.

It would seem that flash player alone has 90 threads. 90! And it has the single largest slice of CPU on your entire screenshot: 6.3 percent.

As I composed my response, I decided to click to play NASA's "Big Blue Marble" flash video. Flash instantly ate up 13 percent of my CPU then went away when I reloaded the tab (causing flash to be closed and the click to play puzzle piece to come back).

aismaiil

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
It started to really piss me off when it started lagging a bit, whenever I connect my iPod classic and wanted to transfer music, iTunes would freeze and the activity monitor showed it was "not responding", which is the thing I hated the most about Windows, never seen those words on a mac before and I've been using macs for 4 years! :rolleyes: And yeah I noticed the Chrome flash plug-in, I also didn't understand why the Chrome Renderer was hogging so much RAM, so I looked it up and found this!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20010162-263.html

I switched to Safari and moved all the same tabs to Safari, I got back around 2GB of RAM, then I installed Click to Play and reloaded all the tabs and got back another 2GB or so of RAM. :D

It's a bummer though, as much as I love Safari I loved the Presentation view on Chrome more, cuz it goes further than just a full screen view and hides all the tabs and menus ...

Thanks a lot for your help r0k! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.