Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Overg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2012
As the months move on and on, it seems that the iMac fiasco isn't getting near its end.
What is your gamble to this idiotic situation? On what month we will see it end, and the imac will available to buy immediately.
My take: the end of march.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
my take is by April and even then it might have up to a 1 week shipping time online but it might be safe to assume they will have stock in store of the base models.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
It's obvious that Apple overreached a bit with this new iMac model, but I think it's a positive thing that Apple dares to take risks. If they want to maintain their role as the cutting edge computer/device company, they can't play it safe all the time.
Still, fiasco is a bit harsh. This new iMac is obviously difficult to produce in large numbers, but the added wait because of the cutting edge design is definately worth it. It's by far the most beautiful machine I've ever seen, on top of that it's also quiet, cool running and very powerful.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
So what made the 21 inch go from 7-10 days to 2-3 weeks??? Production issues or demand?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
By your definition (supply needing time to catch up to demand) every single iOS device launch has been a fiasco.

It's an aggressive design (which I expect from Apple). It's also a beautiful, powerful machine, and for the most part gets delivered within the time promised.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
By your definition (supply needing time to catch up to demand) every single iOS device launch has been a fiasco.

It's an aggressive design (which I expect from Apple). It's also a beautiful, powerful machine, and for the most part gets delivered within the time promised.

So have they brought another model out then, must have missed that one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
So have they brought another model out then, must have missed that one. :rolleyes:

Mate, love the snide remarks on every single thread about the 2012. For somebody who doesn't want one or seemingly disappointed with them, you sure spend a lot of time writing about them...

It's not a fiasco, but it's not a great situation either. And it's certainly not a gamble. Frustrating for sure, I waited almost a month for mine and I think that's about normal. I'd have liked it within a week, but the wait wasn't that bad considering it included the Christmas/New Year's break.

It does seem demand is growing as it becomes more apparent that the anti glare screen and fusion drive really work and the heat and dust issues are gone. In fact, so far, there doesn't seem to be any glaring issues with the machine.

Sure there have been QC issues and some IR, but that's not the sole domain of these new machines. They are still new though, so there's time to develop something!

I'm actually far more impressed with this machine than when I got my 2008 fully specced 24. In fact, only my ipad 1 has wowed me more than this machine.

mrjose

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Sacramento
I ordered this last Thursday. My lovely wife missed the FedEx guy today...

21.5 iMac
3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

Please mark the boxes that apply:

[ ] I would love an iMac, if only it weren't an All-in-One.
[ ] I am on a strict budget, but HDD performance is very important to me and RPM is the only way to measure this performance.
[ ] I am on a strict budget, but think I might need more than 8GB of RAM in the future and am not interested in learning how to install it myself.
[ ] An internal optical drive greatly enhances the beauty and power of a computer.

laryenhilllvr

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
NYC
It's obvious that Apple overreached a bit with this new iMac model, but I think it's a positive thing that Apple dares to take risks. If they want to maintain their role as the cutting edge computer/device company, they can't play it safe all the time.
Still, fiasco is a bit harsh. This new iMac is obviously difficult to produce in large numbers, but the added wait because of the cutting edge design is definately worth it. It's by far the most beautiful machine I've ever seen, on top of that it's also quiet, cool running and very powerful.

well if apple knew in advance they were going to have supply issues why not just tell people that in very clear terms from the beginning and postpone the release date into 2013 rather than allow people to order until they A) got the issue fixed B) had enough supply to at least cover their average stock

I think it's one thing to try to be cutting edge, but honestly i'd wait for the computer to be out for a while if i knew there were these kinds of problems. I think fiasco isn't so incorrect of a term when the supply on hand and production issues are coupled with customer service reps that are not given any more information that the end users order screen.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013

This is quite an impressive turn around.. I wish that I will have mine delivered in a week when I will finally press the order button!!

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
I am just guessing that Apple never stocked up quite enough prior to its releasing causing things to be backed up as far as to what it currently is. I also am just guessing that by the time demand is curbed that the newer refresh will probably be on its way. Now if this was to be true I am a bit curious as to how they would tend to the orders that are still left to be filled before the refresh.

oldgeezer

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Maryland
well if apple knew in advance they were going to have supply issues why not just tell people that in very clear terms from the beginning and postpone the release date into 2013 rather than allow people to order until they A) got the issue fixed B) had enough supply to at least cover their average stock

If you recall, Tim Cook said at the product announcement for the new iMac that they would have supply issues into 2013. Also, if you had followed some of the iMac threads prior to the release you would have read hundreds of posts bashing Apple for not releasing a new iMac.

You can't have it both ways.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
If you recall, Tim Cook said at the product announcement for the new iMac that they would have supply issues into 2013. Also, if you had followed some of the iMac threads prior to the release you would have read hundreds of posts bashing Apple for not releasing a new iMac.

You can't have it both ways.

You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

They did EXACTLY what you wanted them to do. They told everyone the iMacs would be in short supply for the whole quarter. They told us there would be a significant delay between the announcement and first units shipping to customers. When they started taking orders, they predicted extended waits on most orders, and they have shipped the vast majority of orders within the promised times.

If they had just started building iMacs without shipping them until there were "enough", NOBODY would have gotten them by now. Apple would have gotten NO iMac revenue, and would have incurred huge costs storing the unsold inventory. It makes no sense to pay to store perfectly good products that are ready to put in the hands of paying customers.

Apple knew this iMac design would have some initial manufacturing challenges, and they knew that some components would be in short supply for quite a while. No matter when you start manufacturing in volume, you only get good at it by doing it for a while. Delaying the startup by a few weeks or months doesn't help. That's the nature of manufacturing bleeding-edge products in large volume. They knew all this would happen, AND THEY TOLD US.

And make no mistake, the screens on the new iMacs are bleeding edge. Gluing a huge flat glass to an LCD, with no flaws, is hard. You get one chance. A bubble, a bit of lint, too much or too little adhesive, uneven adhesive, and you can probably throw the whole thing in the trash. And in addition to the gluing, the glass has a pretty high quality edge-to-edge antireflective coating. Once that coating is applied, the glass has to be handled carefully or the coating is damaged. It all sounds simple until you realize Apple needs to do it hundreds of thousands of times, and it has to be done fast or it costs too much.

I think it's one thing to try to be cutting edge, but honestly i'd wait for the computer to be out for a while if i knew there were these kinds of problems. I think fiasco isn't so incorrect of a term when the supply on hand and production issues are coupled with customer service reps that are not given any more information that the end users order screen.

I don't think "problems" characterizes the iMac supply chain. There's no significant quality problem that we've heard of. The production yield is low so they can't keep up with demand, but they knew that would happen.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I agree...Apple was very upfront about this situation. I do wish they would have left the SD card slot on the side, left VESA support, added a few USB ports on the side, as well as 6 on the back, and 2 user accessible HD slots (1 2.5 and 1 3.5), 256GB 512GB Flash options, 256GB Flash in the 3TB Fusion, and a 1080 cam! I don't care so much about the thinness

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
This is quite an impressive turn around.. I wish that I will have mine delivered in a week when I will finally press the order button!!

it's probably just the Applecare box! But regardless, the wait was painful (particularly those of us that tried to game it by waiting since spring; not Apple's fault) but once you run the machine for a day, you don't remember any of the pain.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
it's probably just the Applecare box! But regardless, the wait was painful (particularly those of us that tried to game it by waiting since spring; not Apple's fault) but once you run the machine for a day, you don't remember any of the pain.

The Applecare box doesn't require a signature, so they probably would have just left that. At least with mine they did, actually I'm pretty sure they just sent it regular postal mail.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
@ mrjose:
If you log now on the US store it quotes 2-3 weeks for delivery for the 21.5, how long did they forecasted when you place your order? Was already 2-3 week or less?

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
As the months move on and on, it seems that the iMac fiasco isn't getting near its end.
What is your gamble to this idiotic situation? On what month we will see it end, and the imac will available to buy immediately.
My take: the end of march.

What the hell are you talking about anyway? I know I shouldn't feed the troll but a little detail would be nice. I have a nice, fully functional late 2012 27" without any problems.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
If you ordered a Mac during this time when you know they're taking longer to ship them out and complain about them, it just dumb. Just be patient and wait for them. It's going to be worth the wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.