Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:29 PM   #1
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
The 2014-2015 NCAA Football Season Thread

WELL THE START OF THE SEASON IS GETTING CLOSER! I'm also creating a league in the ESPN College PickEM and will post a link if anyone would like to join. Lets start the discussion and have some fun this season! ROLL TIDE ROLL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCAA-Top-25-FB.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	486492   Click image for larger version

Name:	alabama_crimson_tide.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	486494  
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb iPhone 5s
16gb iPad Mini

Last edited by AlabamaSlammer; Aug 20, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:56 PM   #2
AlabamaSlammer
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Please join my ESPN College Pickem league.....

http://games.espn.go.com/college-foo...-email-cpickem

Group: 2014-2015 SEASON
Password: rolltide
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb iPhone 5s
16gb iPad Mini
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:14 PM   #3
malman89
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
From a Big Ten perspective, I feel horrible for Braxton Miller. However, I don't think tOSU is totally dead in the water. As long as they get through their first month, they'll be fine. I don't think MSU has a totally clear path in the B1G East.

The game I'm obviously looking most forward to as a MSU fan is week 2 vs. Oregon. That'll be a true non-conference test on the road in a hostile environment. Really interested in seeing how the defense reloads after some big departures (Dennard, Lewis, etc.). Having Calhoun back, a popular B1G Defensive POTY candidate, sure will help.
__________________
Current Machine: Lenovo IdeaPad Z510

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:02 PM   #4
iBanker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: 46th floor
Is the NCAA paying players yet? Another season of slave labor I don't have to watch.
__________________
Whenever someone asks how I'm doing, I usually just lie and say 'good', even though I'm doing a lot better than that.
iBanker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 PM   #5
AlabamaSlammer
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBanker View Post
Is the NCAA paying players yet? Another season of slave labor I don't have to watch.
Well to answer your question, NO the NCAA isn't paying players yet. Thank you for taking the time to post in a thread that clearly you have no interest in but can you please explain your slave labor statement

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
From a Big Ten perspective, I feel horrible for Braxton Miller. However, I don't think tOSU is totally dead in the water. As long as they get through their first month, they'll be fine. I don't think MSU has a totally clear path in the B1G East.

The game I'm obviously looking most forward to as a MSU fan is week 2 vs. Oregon. That'll be a true non-conference test on the road in a hostile environment. Really interested in seeing how the defense reloads after some big departures (Dennard, Lewis, etc.). Having Calhoun back, a popular B1G Defensive POTY candidate, sure will help.
I do feel bad for Braxton Miller. Going through the surgery and rehab on his arm and now he is out for this season.

Just as a fan I can't wait to watch MSU vs Oregon. It's going to be interesting if the MSU defense can hold up against that fast passed offense[COLOR="#808080"]
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb iPhone 5s
16gb iPad Mini
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #6
iBanker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: 46th floor
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
Well to answer your question, NO the NCAA isn't paying players yet. Thank you for taking the time to post in a thread that clearly you have no interest in but can you please explain your slave labor statement[COLOR="#808080"]
Oh I'm sorry, so these kids go to college to play football, get liberal arts degrees with C- grades, and a shot at the NFL. Most of them won't make the NFL but they're quite entertaining, their jerseys get sold, they fill the stadiums. So now if they graduate and don't get into the NFL, their liberal arts degree isn't worth anything, and they just played for a few years earning the NCAA millions while they get squat. I do some work pro bono too, but this is exploiting those athletes. Hard to believe that so many people are into college football and seem to think this is okay.
__________________
Whenever someone asks how I'm doing, I usually just lie and say 'good', even though I'm doing a lot better than that.
iBanker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
I do feel bad for Braxton Miller. Going through the surgery and rehab on his arm and now he is out for this season.
Agreed, what a tough break for Braxton and Ohio State.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #8
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Looking forward to the WI Badgers quietly sweeping through their Big 10 Division. Also looking forward to Melvin Gordon winning the Heisman.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Looking forward to the WI Badgers quietly sweeping through their Big 10 Division. Also looking forward to Melvin Gordon winning the Heisman.
Wow, you sure don't dream small do you?
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #10
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBanker View Post
Oh I'm sorry, so these kids go to college to play football, get liberal arts degrees with C- grades, and a shot at the NFL. Most of them won't make the NFL but they're quite entertaining, their jerseys get sold, they fill the stadiums. So now if they graduate and don't get into the NFL, their liberal arts degree isn't worth anything, and they just played for a few years earning the NCAA millions while they get squat. I do some work pro bono too, but this is exploiting those athletes. Hard to believe that so many people are into college football and seem to think this is okay.
While everything you say is true, you don't get much response from the Alabama fans. They are about as brainwashed as it gets. They really are the school that runs the machine.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #11
AlabamaSlammer
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBanker View Post
Oh I'm sorry, so these kids go to college to play football, get liberal arts degrees with C- grades, and a shot at the NFL. Most of them won't make the NFL but they're quite entertaining, their jerseys get sold, they fill the stadiums. So now if they graduate and don't get into the NFL, their liberal arts degree isn't worth anything, and they just played for a few years earning the NCAA millions while they get squat. I do some work pro bono too, but this is exploiting those athletes. Hard to believe that so many people are into college football and seem to think this is okay.
I'll just base my response on past Alabama players since you're talking about degrees (if you would like me to do more research I will) and i'm about to give you two great examples:

1. In 2006, quarterback Greg McElroy won a full scholarship to the University of Alabama, where he played for the Alabama Crimson Tide. He said in an interview, “The university was going to pay for it, obviously, so I was going to try to get everything I possibly could from the university as far as degrees were concerned.” In 2009, McElroy graduated with an undergraduate degree in business marketing, and he earned a master’s degree in sports administration the following year, maintaining a 4.0 grade point average. He was also a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship. no c- and no liberal arts degree

2. Barrett Jones Off the field, he has earned a degree in accounting, graduating summa cum laude in August 2011 with a 4.0 grade point average. He graduated in December 2012 with his masters again maintaining a 4.0 GPA. In addition, he was honored as one of 11 members of the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Work "which honors football student-athletes for exemplary community service." Jones won the 2012 William V. Campbell Trophy, an award given by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame to college's football's "best and brightest." He is a 2010 and 2011 Academic All-American and in his final school year of 2012–13, he earned distinction as both the NCAA Division I Football Academic All-America Team Member of the Year[3] and the Academic All-America Team Member of the Year for all NCAA Division I sports.[4] He received the 2011 ARA Sportsmanship Award and 2011 Wuerffel Trophy for combined athletic, academic and community service achievement. On December 6, 2012, Jones was awarded the Rimington Trophy as the best center in college football.[5] Finally, he was named one of the 2014 recipients of the Today's Top 10 Award, given annually by the NCAA to 10 outstanding student-athletes who graduated in the school year before the award presentation.[6]

While you COULD be right about your C- GPA and your Liberal Art statement. Where is your evidence proving your statement. Also, you need to learn not to argue sports and academics, it's a lose lose battle.... But I am looking forward to your next response

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
While everything you say is true, you don't get much response from the Alabama fans. They are about as brainwashed as it gets. They really are the school that runs the machine.
Well "brainwashed" Alabama fan here. I for one believe that ALL COLLEGE STUDENT ATHLETES should make some money. They bring in millions for the schools. Just pay EACH student athlete the same amount of money in every sport

But that's just my brainwashed opinion.
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb iPhone 5s
16gb iPad Mini
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #12
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
I'll just base my response on past Alabama players since you're talking about degrees (if you would like me to do more research I will) and i'm about to give you two great examples:

1. In 2006, quarterback Greg McElroy won a full scholarship to the University of Alabama, where he played for the Alabama Crimson Tide. He said in an interview, “The university was going to pay for it, obviously, so I was going to try to get everything I possibly could from the university as far as degrees were concerned.” In 2009, McElroy graduated with an undergraduate degree in business marketing, and he earned a master’s degree in sports administration the following year, maintaining a 4.0 grade point average. He was also a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship. no c- and no liberal arts degree

2. Barrett Jones Off the field, he has earned a degree in accounting, graduating summa cum laude in August 2011 with a 4.0 grade point average. He graduated in December 2012 with his masters again maintaining a 4.0 GPA. In addition, he was honored as one of 11 members of the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Work "which honors football student-athletes for exemplary community service." Jones won the 2012 William V. Campbell Trophy, an award given by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame to college's football's "best and brightest." He is a 2010 and 2011 Academic All-American and in his final school year of 2012–13, he earned distinction as both the NCAA Division I Football Academic All-America Team Member of the Year[3] and the Academic All-America Team Member of the Year for all NCAA Division I sports.[4] He received the 2011 ARA Sportsmanship Award and 2011 Wuerffel Trophy for combined athletic, academic and community service achievement. On December 6, 2012, Jones was awarded the Rimington Trophy as the best center in college football.[5] Finally, he was named one of the 2014 recipients of the Today's Top 10 Award, given annually by the NCAA to 10 outstanding student-athletes who graduated in the school year before the award presentation.[6]

While you COULD be right about your C- GPA and your Liberal Art statement. Where is your evidence proving your statement. Also, you need to learn not to argue sports and academics, it's a lose lose battle.... But I am looking forward to your next response

----------



Well "brainwashed" Alabama fan here. I for one believe that ALL COLLEGE STUDENT ATHLETES should make some money. They bring in millions for the schools. Just pay EACH student athlete the same amount of money in every sport

But that's just my brainwashed opinion.
Maybe not you, but I think a lot of Bama fans are more concerned about winning over the kids themselves.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
I'll just base my response on past Alabama players since you're talking about degrees (if you would like me to do more research I will) and i'm about to give you two great examples:

1. In 2006, quarterback Greg McElroy won a full scholarship to the University of Alabama, where he played for the Alabama Crimson Tide. He said in an interview, “The university was going to pay for it, obviously, so I was going to try to get everything I possibly could from the university as far as degrees were concerned.” In 2009, McElroy graduated with an undergraduate degree in business marketing, and he earned a master’s degree in sports administration the following year, maintaining a 4.0 grade point average. He was also a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship. no c- and no liberal arts degree

2. Barrett Jones Off the field, he has earned a degree in accounting, graduating summa cum laude in August 2011 with a 4.0 grade point average. He graduated in December 2012 with his masters again maintaining a 4.0 GPA. In addition, he was honored as one of 11 members of the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Work "which honors football student-athletes for exemplary community service." Jones won the 2012 William V. Campbell Trophy, an award given by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame to college's football's "best and brightest." He is a 2010 and 2011 Academic All-American and in his final school year of 2012–13, he earned distinction as both the NCAA Division I Football Academic All-America Team Member of the Year[3] and the Academic All-America Team Member of the Year for all NCAA Division I sports.[4] He received the 2011 ARA Sportsmanship Award and 2011 Wuerffel Trophy for combined athletic, academic and community service achievement. On December 6, 2012, Jones was awarded the Rimington Trophy as the best center in college football.[5] Finally, he was named one of the 2014 recipients of the Today's Top 10 Award, given annually by the NCAA to 10 outstanding student-athletes who graduated in the school year before the award presentation.[6]

While you COULD be right about your C- GPA and your Liberal Art statement. Where is your evidence proving your statement. Also, you need to learn not to argue sports and academics, it's a lose lose battle.... But I am looking forward to your next response
That is great that these students did so well. However, I'm sure that they are the exception rather than the rule.

Quote:
Well "brainwashed" Alabama fan here. I for one believe that ALL COLLEGE STUDENT ATHLETES should make some money. They bring in millions for the schools. Just pay EACH student athlete the same amount of money in every sport

But that's just my brainwashed opinion.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Maybe not you, but I think a lot of Bama fans are more concerned about winning over the kids themselves.
I'm pretty sure the same thing could be said about most college fans. No need to single out Bama.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #14
malman89
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
I do feel bad for Braxton Miller. Going through the surgery and rehab on his arm and now he is out for this season.

Just as a fan I can't wait to watch MSU vs Oregon. It's going to be interesting if the MSU defense can hold up against that fast passed offense
It is an interesting conflict in tempo/styles. A fact people overlook is the Spartans scored 29+ in 7 of their games last year (4 of those over 40). Their offense became fairly potent after the QB carousel nonsense to start the year off. Not exactly a yardage machine, but efficient and put points on the board.

I wonder if a dark horse like PSU (with OSU at home) is a possibility in the East, while in the West I do wonder how Wisconsin/Nebraska/Iowa turns out.

---

In non-Big Ten news, I wonder how Petersen does in Washington now that he finally left Boise. Sark seems to have laid a decent foundation to build upon.

Games of Week 1 are probably Wisconsin/LSU and Clemson/Georgia.
__________________
Current Machine: Lenovo IdeaPad Z510

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #15
AlabamaSlammer
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
It is an interesting conflict in tempo/styles. A fact people overlook is the Spartans scored 29+ in 7 of their games last year (4 of those over 40). Their offense became fairly potent after the QB carousel nonsense to start the year off. Not exactly a yardage machine, but efficient and put points on the board.

I wonder if a dark horse like PSU (with OSU at home) is a possibility in the East, while in the West I do wonder how Wisconsin/Nebraska/Iowa turns out.

---

In non-Big Ten news, I wonder how Petersen does in Washington now that he finally left Boise. Sark seems to have laid a decent foundation to build upon.

Games of Week 1 are probably Wisconsin/LSU and Clemson/Georgia.
I agree with your Week 1 games of the week but I would also put in South Carolina vs Texas A&M (sec network on Thursday 8-28) & this just applies to me but Bama vs West Virginia at the Georgia Dome. Really can't wait to see if Saban goes with Coker or Sims at QB

I hope Peterson does well at Washington. If I remember Washington has a lot of talent coming back and could be a strong force in the PAC 12.

With Braxton out OSU might have some trouble. Personally I'm going with Michigan St to win the B1G. They have a strong defense and I'll have to look more into Wisconsin to form an opinion
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb iPhone 5s
16gb iPad Mini
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #16
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
Well "brainwashed" Alabama fan here. I for one believe that ALL COLLEGE STUDENT ATHLETES should make some money. They bring in millions for the schools. Just pay EACH student athlete the same amount of money in every sport

But that's just my brainwashed opinion.
Here's another Tide fan who agrees with you.

But, back to the subject at hand: Who do you think is going to end up at the starting QB position for Alabama? Hard to tell based on what little we've seen of Jacob Coker so far and on what Saban has said lately.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #17
AlabamaSlammer
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Here's another Tide fan who agrees with you.

But, back to the subject at hand: Who do you think is going to end up at the starting QB position for Alabama? Hard to tell based on what little we've seen of Jacob Coker so far and on what Saban has said lately.
I really think we might so both Coker and Sims the first couple of games. Kind of like the AJ McCarron- Phillip Sims QB battle a few seasons ago

If the offense Kiffin is going to show will be a spread (like Oregon or Auburn) it will be Sims but if it's still a pro style like years past, I think Coker will win the qb battle by week 3
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb iPhone 5s
16gb iPad Mini
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 AM   #18
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
I really think we might so both Coker and Sims the first couple of games. Kind of like the AJ McCarron- Phillip Sims QB battle a few seasons ago

If the offense Kiffin is going to show will be a spread (like Oregon or Auburn) it will be Sims but if it's still a pro style like years past, I think Coker will win the qb battle by week 3
I think that Blake Sims is a better QB than many give him credit for. Most of the time he's played, it's been in situations where the game was already won and he was working with 2nd or 3rd string Bama players. Maybe he'll do better when he really has a chance to be #1. But you're probably right that it'll come down to the style of the offense, all other things being equal.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 College Football Thread Roller Community Discussion 2 Yesterday 09:02 PM
The 2014-2015 Football Thread Jaffa Cake Community Discussion 240 Yesterday 02:28 PM
The 2013-2014 Football Thread Jaffa Cake Community Discussion 3190 Jul 15, 2014 05:37 PM
Xiaomi shipped 11m smartphones in 1Q of 2014, aims for 60m in 2014, 100m in 2015 EbookReader Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 28 Jul 2, 2014 05:52 AM
The 2013-14 NFL football season thread einmusiker Community Discussion 1916 Feb 10, 2014 08:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC