Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 14, 2015, 01:12 PM   #1
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

Resting Heart Rate

Hi,

This is a strange thing to post on MR but I'm not really involved with any other forums so short of signing up for a health related one to post only this, you guys are my best option!

I recently got a fitbit charge HR and I've been rather intrigued by my heart rate under various activities.

I know the recommended resting heart rate for adults is 60-100, with lower being fitter. Now I'm 21 and by no stretch of the imagination am I fit. I'd like to think I'm not super unfit either but I don't do much exercise, I ride my bike maybe 1-2 times a week and walk to and around uni (I'd estimate about 30 minutes/day max), and my breathing gets a fair bit heavier just after 10 minutes of walking at a medium-fast pace. With all that in mind, I would expect my resting heart rate to be around 80-90 minimum, but it is in fact always around 50-60. Could this be a problem? We've pretty much ruled out great levels of fitness as the reason for my low heart rate, could it be something more sinister?

I'm honestly not hugely worried (otherwise I'd actually make a doctor's appointment) but it would be nice to know if there could be something I ought to be looking out for.

Cheers!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 01:44 PM   #2
A.Goldberg
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to A.Goldberg
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe your just not a high strung person or you have efficent blood flow. Some people (like myself) have low heart rates).

60-100 is considered average, so you should be fine. What's your Blood a pressure?

If you're concerned see your doctor. Especially if you have symptoms of low blood pressure (light headless, confusion, fainting). Also consider the medications you take.

Last edited by A.Goldberg; Apr 14, 2015 at 04:22 PM.
A.Goldberg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68030

I'm just about 63 years old (May 2nd) my resting heart rate varies from 70 to 80 beats per minute. The only exercise I get is walking just about everywhere, and doing work around the house.

Took my readings last night. I've alway's had low blood pressure. I guess it's a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6461.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	541052  

Last edited by Mr. McMac; Apr 14, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
Mr. McMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:10 AM   #4
mrex
macrumors 6502a

Resting Heart Rate

mine is between 48-60 (bmi 21,5), blood pressure 112/80
mrex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:02 AM   #5
maflynn

My fitbit surge reports my resting heart rate in the 40s to the low 50s. Of course I'm a runner and so that accounts for a lower heart rate. I've seen it as low as the 30s at times, in fact when I was at the doctors office for a minor issue they had to take my pulse 3 times because it was in the 30s
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68030

When I was a avid mountain bike rider back in the 90's, my heart rate was in the 50's. Now that I'm much older, my max resting heart rate (81) it's still considered within the normal range
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:14 PM   #7
monokakata
macrumors 65816

I don't have a Fitbit, so I'm not entirely sure how it works. But, speaking as a runner who's used a HR monitor, here's what I do.

Get your resting HR.
Then walk vigorously (does Fitbit show your HR in real time?) If so, observe it.
Perhaps even jog a little, or walk up a hill. Don't exhaust yourself, but put a load on your aerobic system for a minute or two. Don't overdo it.
Check your HR.
Slow down and stop.
Keep checking your HR until it's stable again.

OK, now here's what you want to see:

1. your HR kicks up fairly quickly after you put a load on yourself

and

2. it falls into your own normal range fairly quickly (3-5 mins) after you stop.

If your HR behaves like that, I don't think you need to worry. Observing that your HR is responsive to load (kicks up, then falls) is good evidence that there's nothing wrong.

There's a LOT of variation in both resting and max HR between individuals, and also over time (as measured in years).

When my life was consumed by running, about 40 years ago, my resting HR was always in the 40s, and would kick up to 170+ under heavy load, and I could keep it there for a long time (my marathon best was 2:51).

Now that I'm nearly 72, my resting HR is in the 60s. I can still kick it up to 170 for a short time, and I can still hold it in the 140s for hours, and it's responsive. But I'll never see a 40 resting HR again, and I'll never hold 170 for hours again.
monokakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:31 AM   #8
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
My fitbit surge reports my resting heart rate in the 40s to the low 50s. Of course I'm a runner and so that accounts for a lower heart rate. I've seen it as low as the 30s at times, in fact when I was at the doctors office for a minor issue they had to take my pulse 3 times because it was in the 30s
I run too, my resting is upper 40's to low 50's. I've never seen mine as low as yours has been but I know runners tend to have a lower resting HR, or at least thats what my doctor told me.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion