Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 16, 2015, 06:40 AM   #1
tzhu07
macrumors regular

Is professional sports the only great meritocracy left?

Well?

It's certainly much better than most other industries within the professional world.
Old May 16, 2015, 01:48 PM   #2
63dot
macrumors 601

I would think professional sports appear to be more fair in that aspect than some companies. There are certainly companies that like to hire individuals like them, in the same social class, and often the same social circles. We know of many companies who are based on connections rather than what an applicant can offer to what products or services they offer.

I like meritocracy but it's not the only way things get done, imho.

One high tech company near me is well known for how they dress in their suits and that many are from private Eastern schools with longtime business and social connections. Adding such a cadre of elite businesspeople can add to the company's fortune. They operate well around the old rules they helped create in how business is done and has always been done.

However, right across the street on both ends of this west coast branch HQ office are two equally regarded high tech companies who were founded by college dropouts. They tend to hire those mostly on what they can do in tech, not the college they attended or if they even went to college. Those two companies are not concerned about how one wears their tie or if their suit is the proper color. Their ethic is to get things done and think outside of the box. They are based more on meritocracy and I would argue would approach the meritocracy of let's say a major league pitcher who is only as good as his last couple of seasons of ERAs.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion