Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:47 PM   #1
FenixStryker
macrumors newbie

Getting hired at an Apple store.

Do you guys know what exactly they look for? Because I've been trying desperately to get hired and obviously it hasn't worked out. Do you need connections to even be considered? It's starting to bug me because I know they still have positions open at the store near my campus.
FenixStryker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

There doesn't seem to be any real guidelines. You don't need to know anyone to get in.

It's fundamentally down to how you get on with the people around you, including the interviewers.

Contribute, listen, speak positively. Relax and try and be natural. Try not to appear overeager.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:50 PM   #3
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020

Have you tried applying at other retail stores?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:52 PM   #4
FenixStryker
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vElectronics View Post
Have you tried applying at other retail stores?
Yes, but again no response so far. Actually-- There was one store that replied however I literally had no way to get there plus my class schedule would make getting shifts impossible.

I live in Connecticut so there is only so many stores here.
FenixStryker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:12 PM   #5
lwood1
macrumors regular

I have the perfect background for and they didn't hire me so good luck with that!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:20 PM   #6
hallidc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixStryker View Post
Do you guys know what exactly they look for? Because I've been trying desperately to get hired and obviously it hasn't worked out. Do you need connections to even be considered? It's starting to bug me because I know they still have positions open at the store near my campus.
I applied to my local Apple Store in August, and received a interview opportunity a few days later (unfortuantly I didn't pass onto the second interview). I reapplied again last week, and scored another interview thursday.

After speaking to a few employees, and hearing what the team leaders had to say, it comes down to your personality (tech knowledge can be taught to you).

The best way I could put it would be to walk into your local Apple store and observe the employees. See how they interact, and observe their personalities.
iPad Air | Apple TV 3 | 5th Gen Time Capsule
hallidc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:47 AM   #7
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

The people who run Apple stores haven't a single ****ing clue what they are looking for. Seems that actually using Apple hardware isn't a good thing. I learned BASIC on an Apple // and have been using Apple hardware longer than any Apple store employee has been alive. I would think that using the stuff you're responsible for selling would be a bonus, but no.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:20 AM   #8
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
The people who run Apple stores haven't a single ****ing clue what they are looking for. Seems that actually using Apple hardware isn't a good thing. I learned BASIC on an Apple // and have been using Apple hardware longer than any Apple store employee has been alive. I would think that using the stuff you're responsible for selling would be a bonus, but no.
I dunno, you sound too smart for your own good, technically skilled, and nerdy. You need to dress more hip, be more desperate for a job, and be more willing to zip your lip and gladly take on any cruddy role or shift that is given to you - and never talk back. I'm pretty sure those are more attractive qualities for a potential retail employee to a hiring manager.

malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:53 AM   #9
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
I dunno, you sound too smart for your own good, technically skilled, and nerdy. You need to dress more hip, be more desperate for a job, and be more willing to zip your lip and gladly take on any cruddy role or shift that is given to you - and never talk back. I'm pretty sure those are more attractive qualities for a potential retail employee to a hiring manager.

I did plenty of that during my 20 year Navy career. And Apple employees are dressed like ****. Jeans and blue Apple shirt isn't hip.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:57 PM   #10
D.T.
macrumors 68030

I went in without pants and got hired on the spot. Wasn’t even looking for work, so I had to decline the offer.
Old Today, 04:28 PM   #11
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Maybe it was the crotchless leopard skin sprint tights that did it?
sk1wbw is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion