Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDannyxD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Serious long time Android user + hater here :D

Well anyway, Would it be worth getting the iPhone 5 now? Or just buy an iPhone 4 till the 5S/6 comes out in a few months?
I would be buying it off contract, the iPhone 4 is half the price of the iPhone 5.

Any opinions would appreciated :)

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Umm, I wouldn't spend that money on an iPhone 4 when you can get a nexus 4 for less. Even the biggest iOS fanboys can admit that the nexus 4 is better than an iPhone 4 which is pretty laggy at this point.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Umm, I wouldn't spend that money on an iPhone 4 when you can get a nexus 4 for less. Even the biggest iOS fanboys can admit that the nexus 4 is better than an iPhone 4 which is pretty laggy at this point.

An iPhone 4 is around $200, the Nexus 4 is 300/350. That's closer to 4S territory. But I agree, at that price point, the Nexus 4 is a great phone.

iDannyxD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011

Can't get it anywhere in Ireland. Android is laggy no matter what, I had a GS3 (won it), sold it to buy a iPhone!

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

Well anyway, Would it be worth getting the iPhone 5 now? Or just buy an iPhone 4 till the 5S/6 comes out in a few months?
I would be buying it off contract, the iPhone 4 is half the price of the iPhone 5.

Since you're buying off-contract either way, then I suggest an iPhone 5.

Also, I personally think it's highly unlikely that the next iPhone will come out in the next few months.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Are u serious? Get the iphone 5 without a doubt. No question about it. LTE, great 8 megapixel shooter, very fast processor, and a bigger screen with a better front camera as well.

IPhone 4 is old man the iphone 4 wont be supported past iOS 7 imo. I5 is much more future proof, dont get the i4 trust me get the new iphone 5

The bigger and higher color saturation screen on the i5 is just amazing.

As for color pick what you prefer i think the black slate iPhone 5 is menacing, it looks beautiful ...i like the white iPhone 5 too alot they both look beautiful. Louder speaker phone, higher volume and clearer voice quality in the ear phone when your on call too.

Lets not forget that the i4 has the antenna problem if you hold it in certain ways, not with the i5 you get much better cell reception and 2 antennas so you cant death grip the i5.

Get the i5... There is absolutely no reason why you should get a much slower 3G iphone over a much faster LTE iphone unless your on a budget.

I think the i5 is a much better choice, you also get the new Earpod headphones and the Lightning cable which is the new Apple wire now (30 pin connector retired)

AND the iPhone 5 resale value will be much higher then the i4 in the future so. i think the choice is pretty obvious man

Last edited:

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
...unless your on a budget.

That's the primary reason for most folks, especially off-contract. Personally, I'd look into a good condition used 4S; good middle ground for a lot less coin. :)

ChrisWard1994

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Ireland
wouldn't fork out the €400 for the iphone 4 just to have for a few months. Id either stay with what you've got or get a 5

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
That's the primary reason for most folks, especially off-contract. Personally, I'd look into a good condition used 4S; good middle ground for a lot less coin. :)

well the OP is clearly within budget for both devices if he is asking which one he should get. The i5 is superior to its predecessors, but obviously its the newest iPhone from Apple thats what it should do.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Are u serious? Get the iphone 5 without a doubt. No question about it. LTE, great 8 megapixel shooter, very fast processor, and a bigger screen with a better front camera as well.

IPhone 4 is old man the iphone 4 wont be supported past iOS 7 imo. I5 is much more future proof, dont get the i4 trust me get the new iphone 5

The bigger and higher color saturation screen on the i5 is just amazing.

As for color pick what you prefer i think the black slate iPhone 5 is menacing, it looks beautiful ...i like the white iPhone 5 too alot they both look beautiful. Louder speaker phone, higher volume and clearer voice quality in the ear phone when your on call too.

Lets not forget that the i4 has the antenna problem if you hold it in certain ways, not with the i5 you get much better cell reception and 2 antennas so you cant death grip the i5.

Get the i5... There is absolutely no reason why you should get a much slower 3G iphone over a much faster LTE iphone unless your on a budget.

I think the i5 is a much better choice, you also get the new Earpod headphones and the Lightning cable which is the new Apple wire now (30 pin connector retired)

I personally don't believe the iPhone 5 is worth the off-contract price, if you're able to get an iPhone 4 or 4S for cheap. I'm still using my iPhone 4 and it's still working perfectly. No complaints. It does lag a bit from time to time with certain games, but it's great for the most part.

I'm able to upgrade any time now, but I just don't see a reason to purchase an iPhone 5 and lock myself in a contract for another 3 years. The feel of the iOS is exactly the same, and I really don't feel like I'm holding a new phone. I want to pick up the new iPhone and say "Wow!" and truly be shocked at how amazing the new device is. The iPhone 5 never did that for me. The iPhone 5 may be faster, but waiting an extra second for an app to load doesn't bother me.

I also have all my Mophie cases/chargers that I rather not replace at this time, and that's another reason why I haven't bothered to upgrade.

Everyone has different needs & wants, and the iPhone 5 is not a must-have device. (For me) Not to mention the iPhone 5 is already 6 months old, and if he could wait another 6 months, the iPhone 5S/6 (With iOS 7) will hopefully be promising. Time will tell.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I personally don't believe the iPhone 5 is worth the off-contract price, if you're able to get an iPhone 4 or 4S for cheap. I'm still using my iPhone 4 and it's still working perfectly. No complaints. It does lag a bit from time to time with certain games, but it's great for the most part.

I'm able to upgrade any time now, but I just don't see a reason to purchase an iPhone 5 and lock myself in a contract for another 3 years. The feel of the iOS is exactly the same, and I really don't feel like I'm holding a new phone. I want to pick up the new iPhone and say "Wow!" and truly be shocked at how amazing the new device is. The iPhone 5 never did that for me. The iPhone 5 may be faster, but waiting an extra second for an app to load doesn't bother me.

I also have all my Mophie cases/chargers that I rather not replace at this time, and that's another reason why I haven't bothered to upgrade.

Everyone has different needs & wants, and the iPhone 5 is not a must-have device. (For me) Not to mention the iPhone 5 is already 6 months old, and if he could wait another 6 months, the iPhone 5S/6 (With iOS 7) will hopefully be promising. Time will tell.

It most certainly is not half a second more to load apps on the i5. The i5 loads websites MUCH faster, has LTE, a dual core with more ram so much better multitasking performance. Espcially when your editing HD movies on a i5 its night and day in that department. Sorry to break it to you but its just a newer device thats expected. Why not get the latest and greatest if you have the money to get it. OP isnt whining about prices or none of that.

Plus wait for iOS 7 if you want some real changes. I bet you that iOS 7 is the last update the iphone 4 gets with features stripped in that build compared to the 5 etc.

And 6 months old wtf lol? Were about 4 months in from the i5 launch not 6...why get a 2 year old device Apple is going to drop support for it its aged hardware man.

The upgrade isnt as big when going from a 4S to a 5 but it is a HUGE difference between the iphone 4 and the iphone 5

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
It most certainly is not half a second more to load apps on the i5. The i5 loads websites MUCH faster, has LTE, a dual core with more ram so much better multitasking performance. Espcially when your editing HD movies on a i5 its night and day in that department. Sorry to break it to you but its just a newer device thats expected. Why not get the latest and greatest if you have the money to get it. OP isnt whining about prices or none of that.

Plus wait for iOS 7 if you want some real changes. I bet you that iOS 7 is the last update the iphone 4 gets with features stripped in that build compared to the 5 etc.

Did you even read what I said? Or did you just skim through it while not paying attention?

He's looking to purchase a phone in order to hold himself over for another 6-8 months until the release of the iPhone 5S/6. The iPhone 4 is definitely capable of holding him over for that 6-8 month period. We all know iOS 7 will have that one killer feature not available on the iPhone 5. Just like Siri with the iPhone 4S.

iDannyxD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Thanks for the opinions :) what I'll do is, buy the iPhone 4 off contract, and wait till the iPhone 5S or whatever comes out and get that on contract, hopefully then, some network in Ireland will have LTE rolled out by then!

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Did you even read what I said? Or did you just skim through it while not paying attention?

He's looking to purchase a phone in order to hold himself over for another 6-8 months until the release of the iPhone 5S/6. The iPhone 4 is definitely capable of holding him over for that 6-8 month period. We all know iOS 7 will have that one killer feature not available on the iPhone 5. Just like Siri with the iPhone 4S.

Thanks for making me laugh. :p

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for the opinions :) what I'll do is, buy the iPhone 4 off contract, and wait till the iPhone 5S or whatever comes out and get that on contract, hopefully then, some network in Ireland will have LTE rolled out by then!

That's what I'd do. Then you can hand down the 4 to someone...

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
An iPhone 4 is around $200, the Nexus 4 is 300/350. That's closer to 4S territory. But I agree, at that price point, the Nexus 4 is a great phone.

Where are people getting brand new iphone 4's for 200? Apple charges 450 for an unlocked iphone 4.

Since the OP is in ireland, he should find a used galaxy nexus instead in my opinion. The 4 is not worth the price apple charges. We are talking unsubsidized phones here. Heck even look for a used wp7 phone.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
buy iphone 4 and wait for 5s

thats it if you're buying a used one, otherwise dont buy a new one.

amazingamy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Hey guys :eek: my contract with iPhone 4 is finally about to expire but I can't decide if I should get the iPhone 5, or wait for the new iPhone, or get an Android. Help plz?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Hey guys :eek: my contract with iPhone 4 is finally about to expire but I can't decide if I should get the iPhone 5, or wait for the new iPhone, or get an Android. Help plz?

i think the iphone 5 is such a splendid device. but as for the technology world, there will be new phones with better technology just around the corner thats how it always is going to be unfourtnetly. i think the iphone 5 is a great product that will be very future proof, has LTE, has a very fast dual core chip, has a big screen and Apple will provide iOS updates to the iphone 5 up until at least iOS 9 or 10.

honestly i think you should get a iPhone 5 , i enjoy my verizon iphone 5 very much.

it has a fantastic camera on the front and back as well. it would be such a huge ugprade coming from your iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 it is not even a comparison. the speed boost, the better screen, the lighter and thinner form factor, and LTE with a much better camera is all that man

----------

ehh the iPhone 4 isnt really laggy at all, but it is alot slower then the Nexus 4,

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Where are people getting brand new iphone 4's for 200? Apple charges 450 for an unlocked iphone 4.

Since the OP is in ireland, he should find a used galaxy nexus instead in my opinion. The 4 is not worth the price apple charges. We are talking unsubsidized phones here. Heck even look for a used wp7 phone.

You're willing to tell the OP it's okay to get a used Nexus but not a used iPhone 4..? I don't understand your logic here. I know we're talking unsubsidized and last time I checked you can buy the iPhone 4 from places other than Apple, just like the Nexus or any Windows phone you're talking about.

amazingamy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
i think the iphone 5 is such a splendid device. but as for the technology world, there will be new phones with better technology just around the corner thats how it always is going to be unfourtnetly. i think the iphone 5 is a great product that will be very future proof, has LTE, has a very fast dual core chip, has a big screen and Apple will provide iOS updates to the iphone 5 up until at least iOS 9 or 10.

honestly i think you should get a iPhone 5 , i enjoy my verizon iphone 5 very much.

it has a fantastic camera on the front and back as well. it would be such a huge ugprade coming from your iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 it is not even a comparison. the speed boost, the better screen, the lighter and thinner form factor, and LTE with a much better camera is all that man

----------

ehh the iPhone 4 isnt really laggy at all, but it is alot slower then the Nexus 4,

Thanks for the input. If I have the 4s I think I would just stick with it, but you guys have convinced me to trade in the 4 for the 5 :)

I heard that the iphone 5's camera is not good for taking self portraits though... pimples and everything show! hahaha :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.