Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spenser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
I recently purchased a surround system sound bar for my dorm room in order to have a better gaming and music experience. I purchased a soundbar that didn't have the capability to stream with bluetooth, and I am now finding that that is a key feature I would like to employ.

My question is this, is there any way that I can use the Apple Airport express (or any other product) to stream music from my iphone/mac to the soundbar. The input to the sound bar is via a line in/auxiliary cord. My school has a campus wide wifi network.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to let me know if you need any clarifying questions. All suggestions welcome.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You should be able to connect your AirPort Express to the soundbar and play iTunes music via AirPlay.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
If the Sound Bar is connected to a TV, why not use an AppleTV since I believe it is around the same cost. However, the Express does allow you to create a local Wifi network as well if you have Ethernet Cable to your room.

spenser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
If the Sound Bar is connected to a TV, why not use an AppleTV since I believe it is around the same cost. However, the Express does allow you to create a local Wifi network as well if you have Ethernet Cable to your room.

The sound bar actually isn't connected to the TV because my LG doesn't have any output ports– strange, I know–
Its wired to my xbox 360 and my phone currently.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The sound bar actually isn't connected to the TV because my LG doesn't have any output ports– strange, I know–

Airport express will suit you or check ebay there are plenty of Bluetooth receivers that will add bt to your soundbar.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I recently purchased a surround system sound bar for my dorm room in order to have a better gaming and music experience. I purchased a soundbar that didn't have the capability to stream with bluetooth, and I am now finding that that is a key feature I would like to employ.

My question is this, is there any way that I can use the Apple Airport express (or any other product) to stream music from my iphone/mac to the soundbar. The input to the sound bar is via a line in/auxiliary cord. My school has a campus wide wifi network.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to let me know if you need any clarifying questions. All suggestions welcome.

If you don't think you need the additional network features of the Airport Express, definitely go with the Apple TV. Then you have the additional benefit of streaming movies/videos, as well as music, for the same price.

BTW - what model is your LG TV?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Or this for $25 from Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492...=8-1&keywords=belkin+bluetooth+music+receiver

This is what I have at my house for all of my Android Friends to use to play music through my Receivers. It also works on any iOS device. Haven't tried it with computers because any of my Macs just use airplay to my AppleTV's and/or Airport Expresses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.