Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Maps Flyover Adds 3D Views of Perth, Saint-Tropez, and Cordoba

MacPrime.ch notes that Apple has recently added three new locations to their Maps Flyover feature found in iOS.

The new locations include Perth (Australia), Saint-Tropez (France) and Cordoba (Spain).

The 3D flyover features was introduced in iOS 6 and based on the technology of C3 Technologies which was acquired by Apple in 2011. Apple has been slowly expanding coverage since its launch and maintains a list of 3D-enabled locations on their website.

Article Link: Apple Maps Flyover Adds 3D Views of Perth, Saint-Tropez, and Cordoba
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Jamiet361
macrumors newbie

It also got added to Leeds (UK) a while ago, I just didn't see it documented about anywhere.

Awesome to see that Apple are still trying to improve their maps app!
Jamiet361 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Lionel Messi
macrumors member

When are they adding the UAE?!
Lionel Messi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Populus
macrumors member

When do they add the flyover, or how? Is it through iOS updates, they do it with the Maps app updates, or they make the changes in their servers?

BY THE WAY I just figured out the city where I live (Valencia, Spain) already has the flyover feature enabled. Yeah!
Populus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:20 PM   #5
nathogib
macrumors newbie

Flyover

Gibraltar was also added to Flyover in the last maps update.. pretty cool!
nathogib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Nalmond92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Populus View Post
When do they add the flyover, or how? Is it through iOS updates, they do it with the Maps app updates, or they make the changes in their servers?
Server base updates
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

would rather we got updated maps before bothering with 3d views even if it is really cool.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:43 PM   #8
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaborn View Post
would rather we got updated maps before bothering with 3d views even if it is really cool.
Agreed. These 3D maps look like the sun melted everything in its path (read: terrible) at a close enough distance, so they're useless beyond a quick virtual tour of a city.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:08 PM   #9
CrazyForApple
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Happy to see them adding more cities but some cities look really bad. I hope Apple will one day make all of the cities look a lot better in 3D
CrazyForApple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:24 PM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G4

If you're seeing enough distortion (after the first moments during loading) that Flyover isn't useful, then your experience is far different from mine. It's incredibly useful to me, seeing the shape of a building and it's surrounding approaches. Great for planning parking and being able to know in advance what you're looking for.

I always liked Google Street View for occasional uses like that, getting a feel for the surroundings of a new distination (what parking might be easiest, how tall the building is, etc.). I always assumed Flyover would be a mediocre second-best for that kind of thing, cool though it may be.

In reality, I find I launch Google Steet View about twice a year now (and am often disappointed by massive blurriness and lens flares when I try it). Whereas I use Flyover more than I ever used to use Street View.

They both show the "real" shape of the roads and buildings in a way a flat aerial photo can't. Street View in theory can show smaller signs than Flyover—but in reality is usually too blurry or distorted for that. Street View is eye-level while Flyover is up above the street—but I have zero problem recognizing something just because of that angle difference. In fact, an elevated view lets me see further—I find myself wishing that Street View would let me pop 40 feet in the air too.

And Flyover--IF your city has it--is SO MUCH EASIER TO USE. In Street View imaging roaming around all sides of a 1-block building to see what the different entrances are. Tap... pan awakwardly... load... tap... jump another 20 feet... it takes FOREVER and has no smooth motion. It's a sluggish, messy slideshow.

Flyover is fast, smooth, and truly 3D. It shows depth and scale in a way Streetview can't, and you can roam the block in seconds, spinning around the building using the SAME map controls you use for normal 2D viewing. It's not really a separate mode. Awesome.

I'm sure Street View will keep improving to the point where I use it again: it will show me small signs like parking rules. But I'm much happier with Flyover than I expected. It needs to reach more places. (And of course it will.)
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:55 PM   #11
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaborn View Post
This.

We have a new subdivision going up. Homes started being built there probably back in September and there are probably 100 homes built now.

Apple maps do not show anything there.

Google maps are fully updated and show all the new homes and streets. I realize this is not in the areas mentioned in the OP but Apple maps are just bad.
JackieInCo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:44 PM   #12
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
If you're seeing enough distortion (after the first moments during loading) that Flyover isn't useful, then your experience is far different from mine. It's incredibly useful to me, seeing the shape of a building and it's surrounding approaches. Great for planning parking and being able to know in advance what you're looking for.

I always liked Google Street View for occasional uses like that, getting a feel for the surroundings of a new distination (what parking might be easiest, how tall the building is, etc.). I always assumed Flyover would be a mediocre second-best for that kind of thing, cool though it may be.

In reality, I find I launch Google Steet View about twice a year now (and am often disappointed by massive blurriness and lens flares when I try it). Whereas I use Flyover more than I ever used to use Street View.
Interesting. My experience has been pretty much the opposite. I've only used Flyover to show someone who doesn't have an iOS device what Flyover is about. It's neat for about 10 seconds. If I could fly, Flyover would be much more useful.

From a practical usage standpoint, I much prefer Google Street View. GSV shows me what to expect as I'm driving or walking to a destination. That's what I want because that's how I get to where I'm going.

To top it off, I've already noticed GSV images getting updated two or three times in the last three or four years. They're doing a heck of a lot of driving around; and they are now going over areas they've already covered to update their imagery. Any way you slice it, that's impressive. I love Apple and Apple products in general; but in the mapping department, they're way behind Google, in my opinion.
avanpelt is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:50 PM   #13
abhibeckert
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
This.

We have a new subdivision going up. Homes started being built there probably back in September and there are probably 100 homes built now.

Google maps are fully updated and show all the new homes and streets. I realize this is not in the areas mentioned in the OP but Apple maps are just bad.
That hasn't been my experience. We recently had some major roadworks where they added new overpasses and stuff, Apple and Google both had the new overpass a week or two before construction even started.

They definitely update the maps.
abhibeckert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:09 PM   #14
ahbiteme
macrumors newbie

Well hopefully they got the right Perth - the one on the west coast, not the tiny town in Tasmania.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Americans.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	466019  

Last edited by ahbiteme; Mar 23, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
ahbiteme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Slippery Gimp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiet361 View Post
It also got added to Leeds (UK) a while ago, I just didn't see it documented about anywhere.

Awesome to see that Apple are still trying to improve their maps app!
I noticed that when I was in the Apple store a couple of months back...it must have been done since last summer because I can see our garden half way through our landscaping. Great stuff.
Slippery Gimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:09 PM   #16
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
That hasn't been my experience. We recently had some major roadworks where they added new overpasses and stuff, Apple and Google both had the new overpass a week or two before construction even started.

I've just not seen it. It's been six months now and my area has not been updated. That's way too long.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:15 PM   #17
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post

Here are screen caps of the area I am talking about. 1st is apple maps and the second Google.

They will be building homes on both sides of the street. It's obviously been months since Apple maps have been updated here in my part of Colorado.

For some reason, the forum is only allowing one upload. I'll attach the other in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	466032  
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:17 PM   #18
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Apple map, not updated in months
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1,019.4 KB
ID:	466033  
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:23 PM   #19
SandPebble
macrumors member

Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge

This major bridge over the Mississippi River between East St. Louis Illinois and St. Louis Missouri opened on February 9, 2014 . It appeared on Google maps within 2 days. It has yet to appear on Apple maps.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:26 PM   #20
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandPebble View Post
This major bridge over the Mississippi River between East St. Louis Illinois and St. Louis Missouri opened on February 9, 2014 . It appeared on Google maps within 2 days. It has yet to appear on Apple maps.
Apple maps are bad. You can see in my screen caps above that Google maps were updated very recently because it's spring and things are turning green now.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:49 PM   #21
SandPebble
macrumors member

Quote:
Apple maps are bad. You can see in my screen caps above that Google maps were updated very recently because it's spring and things are turning green now.
^^Concur^^

At this time, I will not trust Apple maps.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:15 PM   #22
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This.

Over here in Tokyo, the road that's outside my place has been here for at least 60 years. Except in Apple Maps.
At this rate, the new buildings they're finishing up across the street won't show up in Apple Maps before the beginning of the 22nd century.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:09 PM   #23
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
This.

Have you used the Report a Problem feature (click the info icon in the lower right)?
ApfelKuchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:13 PM   #24
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApfelKuchen View Post
Have you used the Report a Problem feature (click the info icon in the lower right)?
Several times. There is an option to report an outdated map.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:09 PM   #25
pramirez95
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

They both show the "real" shape of the roads and buildings in a way a flat aerial photo can't. Street View in theory can show smaller signs than Flyover—but in reality is usually too blurry or distorted for that. Street View is eye-level while Flyover is up above the street—but I have zero problem recognizing something just because of that angle difference. In fact, an elevated view lets me see further—I find myself wishing that Street View would let me pop 40 feet in the air too.

And Flyover--IF your city has it--is SO MUCH EASIER TO USE. In Street View imaging roaming around all sides of a 1-block building to see what the different entrances are. Tap... pan awakwardly... load... tap... jump another 20 feet... it takes FOREVER and has no smooth motion. It's a sluggish, messy slideshow.

Flyover is fast, smooth, and truly 3D. It shows depth and scale in a way Streetview can't, and you can roam the block in seconds, spinning around the building using the SAME map controls you use for normal 2D viewing. It's not really a separate mode. Awesome.

I'm sure Street View will keep improving to the point where I use it again: it will show me small signs like parking rules. But I'm much happier with Flyover than I expected. It needs to reach more places. (And of course it will.)
Tim...is that you?
pramirez95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion