Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:41 PM   #51
Moyank24
macrumors 68040
 
Moyank24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: in a New York State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. Pregnancy is beautiful.


On topic, however - and you can call my opinion sexist, or chauvanistic, or regressive, or whatever - I think this is a bad idea. I don't like the idea of sending women onto the front lines.

It has nothing to do with whether they "can" do it - I have no doubt many of them are capable, both physically and emotionally.

For me, it has everything to do with whether we "should" do it.

I watched the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. My niece is turning 18 this week. I would never dream of her, or other women her age, being knee-deep in that somewhere.

I see this in much the same way as getting into a fist fight with a woman - as a guy, you just don't do it. Yes, I'm sure there are some women who could genuinely kick my ass in a fight - but I would never step into the ring with any of them. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Flame away, if you must.
In my experience, the end result of the pregnancy was beautiful. The actual pregnancy, though, was long, hard, painful and so not pretty.

As far as the other, I think the perception of women, and gender roles, in America has a lot to do with it. And hopefully as we progress socially it will change.

I don't want my daughter growing up thinking that she is limited because she was born a girl. And I don't want her to see my son get opportunities just because he wasn't.

Having boobs and a "monthly cycle" (which, frankly, tends to disappear during times of great stress and exercise) shouldn't automatically preclude someone from getting the opportunity to do something. Just as having a penis shouldn't guarantee someone the same opportunity.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:54 AM   #52
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
'Women can't carry heavy loads': Utter bollocks.

__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:10 AM   #53
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I think its great as long as the current combat qualification standards are not lowered...Lets not forget that ultimate role of the combat troops is to kill the enemy, not to make life "fair" for everyone.
glocke12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:23 AM   #54
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
'Women can't carry heavy loads': Utter bollocks.

Image
To be fair, that's not a 80+ pound pack, and she isn't rucking 20 miles through the mountains of North Carolina
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:46 AM   #55
niuniu
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A man of the people. The right sort of people.
The judgement women can provide in tough situations will prove valuable I believe. Teams operate better with a balance of men and women, there's been a business show here in the UK recently that showed the difference in results between mixed sex and single sex teams.

One thing is certain, men have had a monopoly in the military, and a monopoly on bad decision making. Lets see if women can improve things.
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:48 AM   #56
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
The judgement women can provide in tough situations will prove valuable I believe. Teams operate better with a balance of men and women, there's been a business show here in the UK recently that showed the difference in results between mixed sex and single sex teams.

One thing is certain, men have had a monopoly in the military, and a monopoly on bad decision making. Lets see if women can improve things.
I'm sure women will improve things, but I'm not sure what you mean by a monopoly on bad decision making?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:49 AM   #57
niuniu
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A man of the people. The right sort of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
I'm sure women will improve things, but I'm not sure what you mean by a monopoly on bad decision making?
If you take every bad decision and combat error made since the start of any military, you'll find the vast majority were made by men, simply due to composition.
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:53 AM   #58
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
If you take every bad decision and combat error made since the start of any military, you'll find the vast majority were made by men, simply due to composition.
ok.... and all the good ones were made by men too

so I'm still confused about what you're trying to get across
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:54 AM   #59
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
'Women can't carry heavy loads': Utter bollocks.

Image
The source does not say all women..that's OK I do think there are women in the military that can carry the weight. The question is whats it cost them in energy?

Some of the problems lie within the military training system. A combat load for an Infantryman is 45#. That is the weight we train at and compete at, for PT it may go to 65#-65#. The issue is when we get to war the load triples it really becomes crushing you cannot even stand up on your own. So lets take out superstar female soldier hand her 90%-110% of her body weigh in crap how much energy is she going to burn to move 15 to 20 hrs per day for days on end? Can her joints take the load over extended time (a 20 year military career)? What damage is being done to her neck and shoulders (IBA doesn't allow much upper body movement). Falling arches are a big problem in infantry land, what is it going to do to hers? Below is me left front in 2002 we're heading out for the final cleanup mission of Operation Anaconda my gear is at this point is 90 to 100 pounds but what you don't see in the picture is is we have a bag were carrying as a squad the has 200 additional pounds of machine gun ammo. Three months with no shower or bathroom facilities but we got to hang out with learn from and fight with Ausie SF, US SF, Canadian Mountain Infantry, Later on British Royal Marines, and SF and a platoon of Army Rangers..Best time of my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	392398  
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:03 AM   #60
niuniu
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A man of the people. The right sort of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
ok.... and all the good ones were made by men too

so I'm still confused about what you're trying to get across
How can you find that confusing?

If mixed sex groups made better decisions than non-mixed sex groups then introducing women into an all male group will improve decision making.
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:14 AM   #61
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
How can you find that confusing?

If mixed sex groups made better decisions than non-mixed sex groups then introducing women into an all male group will improve decision making.
Obviously I get that, I just don't understand what saying "that men had the monopoly on bad decision making" had to do with that.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:00 AM   #62
niuniu
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A man of the people. The right sort of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Obviously I get that, I just don't understand what saying "that men had the monopoly on bad decision making" had to do with that.
And I don't understand how you just don't understand.
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:27 AM   #63
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
And I don't understand how you just don't understand.
I guess your point just isn't clear enough.

Let's run through it:

1. Women and men together make better decisions

2. men have monopoly on bad decision making in the military

ergo men also have monopoly on good decision making in the military

But why does #2 need to be stated at all? What's the relevance?

Last edited by eric/; Jan 25, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:39 AM   #64
niuniu
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A man of the people. The right sort of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
I guess your point just isn't clear enough.

Let's run through it:

1. Women and men together make better decisions

2. men have monopoly on bad decision making in the military

erog men also have monopoly on good decision making in the military

But why does #2 need to be stated at all? What's the relevance?
I think watching a pseud confuse himself over an emphasis would be very entertaining. erog
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:28 AM   #65
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
‘The army is not a sociological laboratory; to be effective it must be organized and trained according to the principles which will ensure success…Experiments are a danger to efficiency, discipline and morale and would result in ultimate defeat.’




Quote:
That was from a guy in 1941. And that argument was about not allowing black people in the military. That was his exact argument of why blacks should not be allowed in the military, because it’s a danger to efficiency and discipline and morale and will result in ultimate defeat.
Link

Last edited by rdowns; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM   #66
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816
 
Zombie Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
As long as standards aren't dropped I don't really care. If a woman can lug 60-80 lbs for miles like everyone else, let them.
__________________
--2.6 C2Q 4gb DDR3 GTX 260-Win 7--
--2.0 CE Macbook Alum-Leopard--
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:39 AM   #67
Merkava_4
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
I'm thinking these so called "women" going into combat are gonna be the men type women anyway. Butch haircuts and the whole 9 yards. Not much difference from having a bonafide male soldier in there.
Merkava_4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:06 AM   #68
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
We tried this a couple of years ago with our LLVI tactical teams.

We gave some of the females in MI who spoke critical languages the chance to do some high speed stuff.

Many of the females had near perfect PT scores, were never on profile, never needed to be taped.

And what happened?

They all failed, most quit. We had no modified standards. You had to perform like a man or you were done. Couple of females just sat down and quit. We had a brutal land nav course in rough terrain, 5000ft elevation, full battle rattle, weapon, and all the LLVI gear. It was exhausting.

This level of training is nothing compared to SF or Ranger school. If a female can hack it without modified standards, great. Otherwise, no way in hell I want a female taking the slot of a 6'2 200lbs monster that ruck all day with a SAW and have a heart rate that never goes over 90.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:11 AM   #69
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I'm thinking these so called "women" going into combat are gonna be the men type women anyway. Butch haircuts and the whole 9 yards. Not much difference from having a bonafide male soldier in there.

Wow. Just wow.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:32 AM   #70
MuddyPaws1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Neither is pregnancy.

The fact is, there are men who wouldn't be able to deal with that either. Why not give everyone the opportunity?
I don't want the opportunity to get pregnant.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:26 PM   #71
CaptMurdock
macrumors 6502a
 
CaptMurdock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Evildrome Boozerama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
We tried this a couple of years ago with our LLVI tactical teams.

We gave some of the females in MI who spoke critical languages the chance to do some high speed stuff.

Many of the females had near perfect PT scores, were never on profile, never needed to be taped.

And what happened?

They all failed, most quit. We had no modified standards. You had to perform like a man or you were done. Couple of females just sat down and quit. We had a brutal land nav course in rough terrain, 5000ft elevation, full battle rattle, weapon, and all the LLVI gear. It was exhausting.

This level of training is nothing compared to SF or Ranger school. If a female can hack it without modified standards, great. Otherwise, no way in hell I want a female taking the slot of a 6'2 200lbs monster that ruck all day with a SAW and have a heart rate that never goes over 90.
Nothing personal, but anecdotes in PRSI are worth the paper they are printed on.
__________________
13" MacBook, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.9.2 | iPhone 4, 32 GB, iOS 7.1
"I got no reason, it's all too much/You'll always find me out to lunch"
CaptMurdock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:24 PM   #72
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Nothing personal, but anecdotes in PRSI are worth the paper they are printed on.
But it is interesting to hear soldiers check out each others' heart rates.

Kinky.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:41 PM   #73
skunk
macrumors Demi-God
 
skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Ukistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I'm thinking these so called "women" going into combat are gonna be the men type women anyway. Butch haircuts and the whole 9 yards. Not much difference from having a bonafide male soldier in there.
Good grief. Will you be issuing fake beards?
__________________
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by skunk; Jan 27, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:41 PM   #74
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
But it is interesting to hear soldiers check out each others' heart rates.

Kinky.
Thats actually done for safety when someone falls out...

and you know the point he was making..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:18 PM   #75
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Thats actually done for safety when someone falls out...
Didn't sound like the people he was talking about were falling out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
and you know the point he was making..
That soldiers are attentive to the rhythm in each others' hearts?

I won't ask.

Nobody has to tell.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC