Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:10 PM   #101
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytrain View Post
With those losses, AMD is a target for takeover, hence people buy the stock, hence the price increases...
not even close.
lazard is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:11 PM   #102
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
First quarter they didn't break down desktop vs laptop sales in as long as I can remember.
This means they should bring back the Mac Pro right ?

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:11 PM   #103
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
You need to learn to read the news. Nobody expected a loss for Apple in Q4. Most expected poor quarter and this is exactly what happened. AAPL is $490 (-$24) right now in after hours. The profits were essentially flat compared to year ago reflecting shrinking profit margins. Expect APPL to continue going down from here.
Sarcasm!
jomirrivera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:12 PM   #104
bketchum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs In LA View Post
The "miss" came from the inability of Apple to ship the newest iMacs. The CPU sales of taking orders

It is really, really stupid for them to launch products in December, especially when they cannot crank out 1 million units. Mid-October should be the latest they have new products, and they should not take orders until they can ship the first 500,000 units of anything in 24 hours. It is a logistical failing, not a technological one.

The silver lining is that if you decide to buy a Mac and they are not available... you wait. In the PC world if you want to buy one and it is not available, you just go buy another brand with no love loss. So sales were delayed, they were not lost.

I ordered a 27" Fusion iMac on December 4th. I just had it delivered today. That sort of delay is inexcusable.

As for the valuations, I am stumped. A P/E of sub-11 makes no sense at all, and $130+ billion in the bank means the cash value of a share is about $128, or about 26% of the stock price. A solid dividend and record sales and ALL the negative iPhone and iPad predictions of the last month were disproved with this report.

I think there needs to be more personality presented by Apple, but only after they can give the logistical fulfillment of their newest products. That was the most disappointing thing.

The valuation plummet actually doesn't make any fiscal or analytical sense.
Good post.
bketchum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:12 PM   #105
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

I wouldn't touch the stock market with a ten foot pole. Or at this rate, a Galaxy Note 4. When wild rumors and analyst speculation command share prices like this, you might as well go play poker.
GoldenJoe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:13 PM   #106
zoetmb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslide29 View Post
I'm with you there. My girlfriend urged me to sell at $700 and, well, here we are.
Wait for it to bottom and buy some more so you'll average down. It's absolutely ridiculous that the stock is getting hit the way it is when Apple reports a record quarter even if margins are a bit down because Apple's margins are still so large, it's almost absurd.

And even though Mac sales were down, they were more than made up for by iPad sales. The market should be rewarding Apple for developing the iPad so they cannibalize themselves instead of someone else cannibalizing them. It makes perfect sense for many people to use a Pad instead of a computer if they don't do intensive work on it.

$54.5 billion in revenue, $13.1 billion in profit, no debt, supposedly around $160 billion in cash by mid-year and now paying a dividend and the stock goes down 6% (so far)? Unbelievable.
zoetmb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:13 PM   #107
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

First quarter they didn't break down desktop vs laptop sales in as long as I can remember.
Ah... I see.

Well if the iMac sales actully did look bad on paper... then I can see why they'd omit them.

I'm sure iMac sales will pick up when people can actually buy them then
Michael Scrip is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:13 PM   #108
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
Wow; I'm frankly surprised at the news. Considering all the misinformation leading up to the Q1 results I was expecting for Apple to report a slight loss.

Keep up the great work Apple!
There's no way Apple would have had a loss. Wall Street expects growth. If they made less profit this quarter than last it would be a huge upset. If they took a loss, Wall Street would flip.

I'd have been shocked if this was anything but their best ever. Every quarter is always bigger than the last.
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:14 PM   #109
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
Wait for it to bottom and buy some more so you'll average down. It's absolutely ridiculous that the stock is getting hit the way it is when Apple reports a record quarter even if margins are a bit down because Apple's margins are still so large, it's almost absurd.

And even though Mac sales were down, they were more than made up for by iPad sales. The market should be rewarding Apple for developing the iPad so they cannibalize themselves instead of someone else cannibalizing them. It makes perfect sense for many people to use a Pad instead of a computer if they don't do intensive work on it.

$54.5 billion in revenue, $13.1 billion in profit, no debt, supposedly around $160 billion in cash by mid-year and now paying a dividend and the stock goes down 6% (so far)? Unbelievable.
disappointing guidance by Oppenheimer.
lazard is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:14 PM   #110
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethana View Post
PC sales are dropping across the board. Apple is prepared with the iOS products, Microsoft on the other hand is playing catch-up.
Yeah but didn't Apple have growth despite the PC market shrinking?
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #111
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
I wouldn't touch the stock market with a ten foot pole. Or at this rate, a Galaxy Note 4. When wild rumors and analyst speculation command share prices like this, you might as well go play poker.
Bad comparison. Poker is a game that demands risk management strategies and actually tests skill rather well, with top players winning consistently.

Should've said Black Jack.
GFLPraxis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #112
ani4ani
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
It's not us that expect 100 million iPhone sales but these idiot analysts with their bloated expectations.

I'm one who realizes that Apple is still profitable whether they sell 47 or 45 or 60 million iPhones.
Do you realise it is the same "idiot analysts" and their commentary that drove the stock to $700+? The price of any stock is driven by future expectations, bloated or otherwisei I suspect the main reason for the drop is the significant fall in gross margins. If the guidance from Apple for a 20% drop in Q2 revenues with lower GM, then earnings are forecast to drop quite significantly (still Stella by any other measure, but low by "Apple" standards)
ani4ani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #113
ndpitch
macrumors regular

So much for the "buy before the call" rating...

Glad I picked up some more shares...
ndpitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #114
Sjhonny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
Wow; I'm frankly surprised at the news. Considering all the misinformation leading up to the Q1 results I was expecting for Apple to report a slight loss.
Seriously?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #115
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

Hey Tim,

All this stuff is cool and all but can we get iOS 6.1.

Much appreciated.
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #116
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs In LA View Post
As for the valuations, I am stumped. A P/E of sub-11 makes no sense at all, and $130+ billion in the bank means the cash value of a share is about $128, or about 26% of the stock price. A solid dividend and record sales and ALL the negative iPhone and iPad predictions of the last month were disproved with this report.

The valuation plummet actually doesn't make any fiscal or analytical sense.
Welcome to AAPL. Those of us who are in long have seen this again and again. And again.

The wise move is to remain calm and hold (or buy on the dip). The stock always rebounds. The P/E is absurd (look at AMZN - yikes!) and Apple is still printing money. I fully expect to see $700 again, and beyond. Apple is no Microsoft. There is still plenty of market left to conquer and massive opportunity. Apple is still a minority player.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:16 PM   #117
Peace
macrumors P6

I'm surprised iTunes had such a profit increase.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:16 PM   #118
iisdan
macrumors regular

What a surprise

Déjà Déjà Déjà vu Maybe next year they will die.

^ This is whats going to be said for years to come, just like it has for the last few years. Come one people Apple isn't going anywhere any time soon.
iisdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:17 PM   #119
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
It's their best quarter ever. Apple hit their guidance. These "experts" over-predicted - which says more about them as experts than Apple, and says a lot about how much manipulation goes on in the market.

It's amazing how people manage to turn their best quarter ever into a negative.
Guys stop with this nonsense.

Apple's own guidance for Q4 (their fiscal Q1) quarter was $52 billion.
Market estimates were $54.73 billion.
Actual sales - $54.5 billion.

So, Apple guidance was way off. One might say that Apple's management are simply idiots.
lilo777 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:17 PM   #120
TXCherokee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Agreed. iCloud is where it was 1.5 years ago. It still sucks when it comes to file syncing. It's hard to use for both users and developers. Every iPad is basically worthless without Dropbox... That tells us a lot.
I have three iphones, two ipads, and a Mac Mini in my household all syncing through icloud....perfectly. In fact, icloud was the main reason I bought the mac (ditching a servicable W7 PC) and I couldn't be happier.

What issues are you having?
TXCherokee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 PM   #121
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

So how many iPads have Apple sold since it was first introduced?
Eadfrith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 PM   #122
bketchum
macrumors regular

Looks like Apple made $10 billion with their investments, adding $23 billion to their cash and marketable securities.
bketchum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 PM   #123
newdeal
macrumors 68000

When I see that pie chart I am very concerned, 56% of revenue is iphone (and probobly greater share of profits) and that is arguably their most vulnerable product at this point. ipads, ipods don't really have any great competitors imo, macs have their own following and aren't a huge share of revenue, but iphone is in a super competitive marketplace which is getting more and more brutal by the day, iphone 5 isn't really as inspired as I think it should have been and despite good sales I am concerned that this portion of their business is highly vulnerable in the near future. Guess we will see how it goes, sold my stock the other and and bought RIMM lol (hoping I can ride a little wave and then dump it)
newdeal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:18 PM   #124
applesith
macrumors 68000

Are the analysts with inside information everyday the same who sell off AAPL like this?
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:19 PM   #125
Peace
macrumors P6

137 billion in cash.

Ha !
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion