Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:19 PM   #126
iisdan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
I'm not surprised about Mac sales dropping off, the whole PC market is dropping off. There's only a very small segment of the population that's going to pay $2000+ for a laptop anymore.
The only people who really need computers anymore are video editors and app developers, those people will buy mac. Still not too many of them.
iisdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #127
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Just curious what other publicly traded company, besides Exxon Mobile, reports quarterly profits of $13 billion? I get why the stock is down, but it does blow my mind that you can report $13 billion in quarterly profit and your stock drops 6%.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #128
MyMacintosh
macrumors member

....meanwhile Netflix amazed everyone. expectation of .13 loss but actual profit of .13.
MyMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #129
rockametrics
macrumors regular

Sell on the news!!
rockametrics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #130
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan83 View Post
And AAPL is down 4.5% after hours. I really just don't get it. Is guidance low for Q2?
Did not meet expectations and the fact that they have so much of their money tied to the iPhone and profit per phone is dropping as the top end phone (aka iPhone 5) is losing sells to the iPhone 4s and 4 which have less profit per phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisdan View Post
The only people who really need computers anymore are video editors and app developers, those people will buy mac. Still not too many of them.
Sorry video editors are and have left Apple a long time ago. Apple already said FU to that market.

The only real group that has to buy macs any more is people who want to develope for iOS. Other wise not so great.
Rodimus Prime is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:22 PM   #131
rockametrics
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Just curious what other publicly traded company, besides Exxon Mobile, reports quarterly profits of $13 billion? I get why the stock is down, but it does blow my mind that you can report $13 billion in quarterly profit and your stock drops 6%.
Buy on the rumor sell on the news. Trading 101
rockametrics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:22 PM   #132
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
The stock always seems to g down after these results - has done for years.
Eadfrith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:22 PM   #133
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a

Who cares what the market does. The investors are like rats on a pirate ship. They bare no relationship to the actual health and future of a company.

All I see is a great company with top design and build quality, it doesn't matter a jot what the stock prices are doing.

All time profit records is amazingly good. Despite this the Stock is down because investors are selling no matter what as they can buy back same stock after it has fallen. It's gaming the system and devalues all companies and is why the stock market system keeps crashing making hard working counties broke. Do you really think the Greek caused their own financial crisis, nope they work no less hours than any country, it's down to the theifs at the exchanges making money off of other people's hard work. Crooks the lot of them.
alexgowers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:22 PM   #134
MacFather
macrumors 6502

"Most prolific period of innovation and new products in Apple's history."

Tim, taller iPhone and smaller iPad is not innovation.
MacFather is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:23 PM   #135
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Welcome to AAPL. Those of us who are in long have seen this again and again. And again.

The wise move is to remain calm and hold (or buy on the dip). The stock always rebounds. The P/E is absurd (look at AMZN - yikes!) and Apple is still printing money. I fully expect to see $700 again, and beyond. Apple is no Microsoft. There is still plenty of market left to conquer and massive opportunity. Apple is still a minority player.
It is refreshing to see a post like this among the dozens of armageddon posts. I haven't had the stock forever, about a couple of years, but I still kick myself for not playing the sell game sometimes.
The stats sheet still looks too good to dump the stock now though.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:23 PM   #136
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
do you people really not get it?

let's see, AMD with deep losses BUT far smaller than expected: stock up

Google with negligible YOY profit increase BUT significant slowing of decline in ad sales: Stock up

Apple with best quarter ever BUT decline in EPS and significant increase in costs: Stock down.

If you want to actually try to understand the situation, it makes perfect sense

I guess a rational person like me will never understand the irrationality in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytrain View Post
With those losses, AMD is a target for takeover, hence people buy the stock, hence the price increases...

By who, Intel? The government will never allow that because it would officially be a monopoly at that point.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:23 PM   #137
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

I suppose we can see why Apple are in no rush to spend money on developing a new Mac Pro.
Eadfrith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:23 PM   #138
Unspeaked
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
do you people really not get it?

let's see, AMD with deep losses BUT far smaller than expected: stock up

Google with negligible YOY profit increase BUT significant slowing of decline in ad sales: Stock up

Apple with best quarter ever BUT decline in EPS and significant increase in costs: Stock down.

If you want to actually try to understand the situation, it makes perfect sense
Exactly.

I see people here complaining that all Apple did was miss some analyst expectation. Guess what? It's that analyst expectation that original allowed the stock to hit $700 and it's the same thing that's bringing it down now.

They missed last quarter, as well. The die-hards said the same things then. "The numbers are great, it's only some imagined analyst (excuse me, analyst) numbers that they missed. They're doing fine!"

Yet the stock price never rebounded from that (especially notable at a time when the DOW and S&P were at multi-year highs and competitors like Amazon were reaching all-time highs) and if reaction tonight is any indication, it may be flirting with 52 week lows before the end of the month.

You can complain about analysts all you want, and unrealistic expectations they set and all of that stuff, but at the end of the day Apple has clearly not been a good investment over the past six months and based on the overall market and strong competition, I don't see that changing in the near future. "Best results ever" or not.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:24 PM   #139
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspeaked View Post
Exactly.

I see people here complaining that all Apple did was miss some analyst expectation. Guess what? It's that analyst expectation that original allowed the stock to hit $700 and it's the same thing that's bringing it down now.

They missed last quarter, as well. The die-hards said the same things then. "The numbers are great, it's only some imagined analyst (excuse me, analyst) numbers that they missed. They're doing fine!"

Yet the stock price never rebounded from that (especially notable at a time when the DOW and S&P were at multi-year highs and competitors like Amazon were reaching all-time highs) and if reaction tonight is any indication, it may be flirting with 52 week lows before the end of the month.

You can complain about analysts all you want, and unrealistic expectations they set and all of that stuff, but at the end of the day Apple has clearly not been a good investment over the past six months and based on the overall market and strong competition, I don't see that changing in the near future. "Best results ever" or not.
it's not so much that they "missed" estimates, it's their guidance that disappointed.
lazard is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:24 PM   #140
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
"Most prolific period of innovation and new products in Apple's history."

Tim, taller iPhone and smaller iPad is not innovation.
Especially because they were only catching up with the competition with both.
Speedy2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:25 PM   #141
lilo777
Banned

Ouch!

AAPL is at $475 already in AH. I do not own APPL but my 401K will be hit tomorrow nonetheless (because the entire market will be down).
lilo777 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:25 PM   #142
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisdan View Post
And photographers and muscians and artists and designers and illustrators
and architects and game developers and programmers...

Many of whom are leaving the building after years of being treated like mushrooms.
Kept in the dark and fed a load of BS.

Not to many of them? Gee, I wonder why?
Bubba Satori is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #143
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2 View Post
Especially because they were only catching up with the competition with both.
They were trying to catch but still failed. There is still a much bigger phones and smaller tablets on the market
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #144
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post

The only real group that has to buy macs any more is people who want to develope for iOS. Other wise not so great.

Where do you get this stuff? THis quarter ended 24 straight quarters where the growth in mac sales outpaced PC sales. 24 quarters, Mr. Prime.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #145
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Yup, Apple is dying.
Codyak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #146
hackjo
macrumors member

Why does any business need year on year growth? Come on people, how sustainable is that in the real world?

Apple are continuing to make record profits, are ridiculously cash rich and most certainly not in decline. The bald figures show an extremely healthy company right now.

Bloody stock market. Load of fairy tale nonsense and one of the most destructive inventions we've come up with thus far.
hackjo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #147
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockametrics View Post
Buy on the rumor sell on the news. Trading 101
Who bought on the rumor?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:27 PM   #148
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Guys stop with this nonsense.

Apple's own guidance for Q4 (their fiscal Q1) quarter was $52 billion.
Market estimates were $54.73 billion.
Actual sales - $54.5 billion.

So, Apple guidance was way off. One might say that Apple's management are simply idiots.
In your bashing of Apple you forgot to mention that those "expert" analysts lowered those expectations recently, since they got it massively wrong (that bit's actually in the title of the article you linked).
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:27 PM   #149
MyMacintosh
macrumors member

Did any body else buy 410 puts with me before the close?
MyMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:27 PM   #150
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
This is the basic issue. Apple didn't miss anything..in fact they beat their guidance which should be what matters along with increased profits and revenues..which were both up. Meanwhile Google missed on their guidance and the stock went up. Meanwhile Apple makes theirs and it's down....Just proves the market is manipulated.
The stock market to the un-initiated, seems to work in mysterious ways. I've noticed that quite often, when a certain stock in general, is expected to do well, it goes down, and vice versa. I think it's because 'we' think here and now, whereas investors think long-term, and look mostly at future indicators.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion