Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
oililymad
macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 buttons

are all giving up. the power switch isn't clicking properly, the silence switch doesn't click back and forward very well.

Im not impressed. ive had every iphone from launch and the build quality on this one is the worst, its less than 6 months old! it should last longer than this surely. Actually ive NEVER had any issue with any iphone ive owned before this one

I am going to take it back, however its got a tiny crack on the back in the glass where i knocked it.. ( the buttons were giving up before then anyway, so they are unrelated)

will Apple replace it, given the chipped class? and has anyone else had problems with their buttons?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
MarkG21
macrumors regular

It comes with a one year hardware warranty. If the problems you describe are indeed, I see no reason that apple won't replace it through warranty.
MarkG21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
RossMacca
macrumors member

If you do go ahead and take it to Apple, can you post to let me know what happened?

My lock and volume-up buttons feel strange sometimes, but I'm worried if I took to the Apple store, they wouldn't be able to replicate the problem.
RossMacca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:19 PM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMacca View Post
If you do go ahead and take it to Apple, can you post to let me know what happened?

My lock and volume-up buttons feel strange sometimes, but I'm worried if I took to the Apple store, they wouldn't be able to replicate the problem.
Describe strange. They probably won't replace it if it "feels funny" to you. That's kind of a personal thing that might not feel strange to someone else. You need to show that it either causes a problem or maybe even potentially cause of a problem leading it to not work properly.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:49 PM   #5
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Mine has already been replaced due to a home button that often registered double clicks when clicked once.Whole exchange process took maybe 15 minutes.Don't worry,take it back.
BTW,I've owned every iPhone model and this is the first one with any kind of problem,FWIW.
Apple's service is second to none.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Bahroo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by oililymad View Post
are all giving up. the power switch isn't clicking properly, the silence switch doesn't click back and forward very well.

Im not impressed. ive had every iphone from launch and the build quality on this one is the worst, its less than 6 months old! it should last longer than this surely. Actually ive NEVER had any issue with any iphone ive owned before this one

I am going to take it back, however its got a tiny crack on the back in the glass where i knocked it.. ( the buttons were giving up before then anyway, so they are unrelated)

will Apple replace it, given the chipped class? and has anyone else had problems with their buttons?

My i5 is holding up extremely well, the buttons are solid everything is solid
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

If you can take your iPhone into the Apple store and show them that the power button doesn't click right and the silent switch doesn't move smoothly, then they should replace it.

As for the chipped glass, you can do one of two things: either don't mention it and hope the genius doesn't notice or hand the iPhone to the genius in a way that they drop it so you can say "you cracked my iPhone! It wasn't my fault."
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
Apple's service is second to none.
Not too sure about that.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:25 AM   #9
oililymad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMacca View Post

i will.
my silent button now does not work at all. so ill have to take it.

if they say they wont replace it, ill claim on my insurance for the accidental damage when i dropped it a few months ago.

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:57 AM   #10
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

my volume up/down buttons wiggle and if I lightly tap it, they make this soft clicking sound.. my lock button and home button are solid though

Do I freak out and try to get it swapped for a refurb? Nope

edit: all buttons work as intended
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 AM   #11
oililymad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
my volume up/down buttons wiggle and if I lightly tap it, they make this soft clicking sound.. my lock button and home button are solid though

Do I freak out and try to get it swapped for a refurb? Nope

edit: all buttons work as intended
I would have lived with buttons that made funny noises. I won't live with a phone that I can't tell if its on silent or not. That switch is now totally useless.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone