Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
LV426
macrumors 6502

How to set Video Poster Frame

(Mountain Lion, MacBook Pro)

In Finder, I have a bunch of movies that are shown as thumbnails. MOV files, 3GP, various formats, you name it...

However, most of the thumbnails do not represent the corresponding movie very well. Is there any way in Finder / QuickTime that I can set the poster frame of a particular movie? Doing a Google search, it seems that an option to "Set Poster Frame" existed at one time in QuickTime, but I don't see this option anywhere in the version that I'm using.
LV426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:09 PM   #2
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
(Mountain Lion, MacBook Pro)

In Finder, I have a bunch of movies that are shown as thumbnails. MOV files, 3GP, various formats, you name it...

However, most of the thumbnails do not represent the corresponding movie very well. Is there any way in Finder / QuickTime that I can set the poster frame of a particular movie? Doing a Google search, it seems that an option to "Set Poster Frame" existed at one time in QuickTime, but I don't see this option anywhere in the version that I'm using.
You can still buy Quicktime 7 Pro, which will allow you to set the poster frame.
Search for "Quicktime 7 Pro" on the Apple website.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3
LV426
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
You can still buy Quicktime 7 Pro, which will allow you to set the poster frame.
Search for "Quicktime 7 Pro" on the Apple website.
Thanks, talmy. But that sounds like a yukky solution IMHO! Installing the prerequisite Quicktime 7 player (the current inbuilt player is up to version 10.2), then paying for a version 7 product which doesn't even feature on the App store sounds a little extreme! Sigh. Life really shouldn't be this difficult
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:15 PM   #4
kohlson
macrumors regular

Easy, but manually-intensive.
Open the movie in QT and navigate to the desired thumbnail image (or poster frame).
Copy (command C)
In Finder, Get info on the movie. At the top of the pop-up window, upper left, is a small QT image. Click on it, then command-V (paste).
kohlson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
LV426
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlson View Post
Easy, but manually-intensive.
Open the movie in QT and navigate to the desired thumbnail image (or poster frame).
Copy (command C)
In Finder, Get info on the movie. At the top of the pop-up window, upper left, is a small QT image. Click on it, then command-V (paste).
Hey, it works! Thanks very much
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:13 PM   #6
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
Thanks, talmy. But that sounds like a yukky solution IMHO! Installing the prerequisite Quicktime 7 player (the current inbuilt player is up to version 10.2), then paying for a version 7 product which doesn't even feature on the App store sounds a little extreme! Sigh. Life really shouldn't be this difficult
As an aside, don't like the higher number fool you as QT 7 is still a more feature laden tool than QT 10 (although Apple is slowly building QT 10 back up)

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video