Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:23 PM   #26
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Being interested in revenue for the sake of revenue is not a bad thing. In fact, it's a smart thing. I wish Tim Cook would've been honest and said something like this:

"We made a ********* of cash last quarter, we already had a ********* of cash in the bank, and our goal for next quarter is to release some really good stuff so we have even more cash in the bank the next time we report back to you. We're interested in making really good products; but we're only going to focus on the products that increase revenue. Revenue keeps the lights on, devs employed, and stockholders happy. So yes, in case you were wondering, we really ARE interested in revenue for the sake of revenue."
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #27
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
got no complaint

only one

Make sure iOS get revolutionised
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #28
cxny
macrumors 6502

That famous Halo is dimming a bit, why are Mac sales lower than last year?
Can't be just iMac delays etc.
cxny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #29
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

This is Tim
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:25 PM   #30
alent1234
macrumors 603

Too expensive
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:26 PM   #31
-jc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
Too expensive
Ehh, this is Apple we're talking about here. Always been 'expensive', always will be. The iMac is not too expensive anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:28 PM   #32
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
+1. The whole point of a company is to make profit
This was what they taught in business schools 20 years ago. What they teach now is Stakeholder Theory. A business exists to meet the needs of all the stakeholders which include shareholders, employees, customers, the community, etc. Not all stakeholders get the same priority, but managers have to balance the needs of all those people. So, I wish people would give the old "we exist only to make money" thing a rest. Granted, if a company is not profitable it simply fails. But good management requires a balancing of many constituencies.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:29 PM   #33
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Biggest lie ever.
Good products make money. Apple makes great products. Does their making great products mean they simply want to make money? Or do they enjoy making great products? The engineers and management at Apple aren't putting in the hours and effort to engineer such beautiful computers merely for the sake of money; it isn't worth it. Most people realize that this is an exercise in futility, even if it takes a period of time.

The counterargument to this is that Apple charges good money for these products, and that this means that they are simply "greedy". If they gave the products away free, then how would they pay for them? What price is appropriate otherwise? The usual response is for people to check their wallet and say "this much."

Most at Apple are likely there because they believe in the products that they are selling, and are looking to engineer better hardware, software, etc. Note, Tim says they aren't interested in profit for the sake of profit. Are they attempting to make money? Sure. Is this the sole motivation? I don't think there is any reasonable way to suggest that to be the case. They enjoy making good products. Ask a builder, architect, programmer, anyone if making a good product is rewarding. I think your response is jaded and unwarranted.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:31 PM   #34
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
ok...so let me make this simple for you....what comes first....revenue or profit? You have to have revenue first to make a profit from......revenue equals sales......you cannot make a profit without sales. Doesn't mean you have to diminish the brand...but you have to have revenue before you can make a profit from the revenue.....
Why is this so hard for people to understand? People have complained to Apple that they should just lower the prices of Macs and they would get more marketshare and hence more revenue. But what they would also do is get less profit. Apple is not playing the revenue game. If they could take a reduction in revenue and increase their profits, they would. BTW, you don't have to make it simple for me, I am a professor in a business school.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:32 PM   #35
SeniorGato1
macrumors regular

Quote:
The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake

>>I guess releasing an ipad mini with retina screen does not apply here.
SeniorGato1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:33 PM   #36
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozpop View Post
Jobs always said Apple main objective is not to make money.
Of course he did - What do you think he'd say? That the purpose of Apple is to squeeze the disposable income out of Americans?
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:35 PM   #37
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Of course he did - What do you think he'd say? That the purpose of Apple is to squeeze the disposable income out of Americans?
Sorry. But this is great.

Made my day. Thanks !

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:35 PM   #38
macs4nw
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....With regard to the Apple TV, Cook reiterated it was an area that they had intense interest in.....

Article Link: Tim Cook on Defending Marketshare, Product Pipeline 'Chock Full', Apple TV Growth
Cook's continued asserting of "intense interest" in the APPLE TV somehow makes me think that APPLE expects some type of breakthru with that whole endeavor some time in the foreseeable future. Why else would he keep bringing it up, thereby raising expectations, and setting himself up for disappointing everyone.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:38 PM   #39
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Cook's continued asserting of "intense interest" in the APPLE TV somehow makes me think that APPLE expects some type of breakthru with that whole endeavor some time in the foreseeable future. Why else would he keep bringing it up, thereby raising expectations, and setting himself up for disappointing everyone.
So true. He's pulling those strings around Comcast's throat. Tighter and tighter.

Eventually Comcast will give in.

I'd keep an eye on Comcast.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:40 PM   #40
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
I guess I don't really find it cheesy or unbelievable that a company may genuinely be interested in making good products.
Apple surely is, but it's not their top concern. Otherwise, my iMac would still be alive and not disassembled and its pieces shipped across the world.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:40 PM   #41
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozpop View Post
Jobs always said Apple main objective is not to make money.
Jobs is dead.

It's time to put "Jobs this..." and "Jobs that..." to rest. The torch has been passed.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:41 PM   #42
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
So true. He's pulling those strings around Comcast's throat. Tighter and tighter.

I hope they can do this like they did with the music industry. However, I fear that the music industry didn't see it coming, but the cable industry does. It's going to take some real finessing or arm twisting to pull another iTunes like move on the TV/movie/cable industry.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:41 PM   #43
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
The market asked for 7". The iPad mini is not 7".
Says who?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:41 PM   #44
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
There needs to be some better reading comprehension by people. Let me help you. First, Revenue is not the same as Profit. Apple has always focused on profit not revenue. Second, it was revenue for revenue's sake. This means that if Apple could make more revenue by making a crappy product than by making a quality product they would not do it. And they have demonstrated repeatedly that they aren't out for just revenue, or just market share.
I understand the "revenue for revenue's sake" part and believe it, but the whole thing about Apple's top priority being making good products is not believable, and it's the most common advertising statement made by any company.
1Alec1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:42 PM   #45
samcraig
macrumors G5

No - what they do to differentiate the good Apple products from ones they just slap their name on is putting the word "beta" or "hobby" on
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:42 PM   #46
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Says who?
Every other company that made a 7" tablet.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:42 PM   #47
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

Let's hope he keeps pulling until Comcast is dead. Does anyone actually LIKE Comcast?
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:43 PM   #48
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Biggest lie ever.
Apple's strategy and planning and resulting actions really, truly, DO put a quality experience ahead of raw numbers. This prioritizing, in turn, IS profitable. Have cake, eat it too.

If you don't see how Apple is different here from other companies, don't feel bad: the competition is equally clueless as they chase raw dollars and release mediocrity. They think it works--but Apple's focus is not only best for the user, it's best for the bottom line!

I think Amazon might get it. Not Google, Samsung, or Microsoft. And who else is really competing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Says who?
The Mini is 8".

Even though it's physically lighter, thinner, and smaller by volume than the competion, performs super fast in real-world tests, and yet still gets great battery life.

It's smaller AND bigger. Speaking of having cake and eating it too
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:44 PM   #49
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Let's hope he keeps pulling until Comcast is dead. Does anyone actually LIKE Comcast?
Probably not but there are a LOT of people that use them.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:44 PM   #50
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Being interested in revenue for the sake of revenue is not a bad thing. In fact, it's a smart thing.
How is that smart? That's what Apple did... in the 90s. And that's what Samsung and other crappy companies do.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion