Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:07 PM   #76
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a
 
Nunyabinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Provo, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by driceman View Post
It's a lie and it isn't IMO. They want to make revenue, and they intend to do that by making the best products they can because that's how they've done it in the past.
They want to make profit, which requires revenue, not revenue for it's own sake.
__________________
iMac w/Retina 4GHz; 27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7; 15" MBP, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo; 13" MBA 1.7 GHz i5; iPad (3rd Gen); iPad Mini; iPhone 6+;
Nunyabinez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:07 PM   #77
1Alec1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
If by market you mean consumers then I don't agree. I think we got 7" tablets because Amazon and Android OEM's knew the only way they could compete with iPad was on price.
If they knew the only way to compete with the iPad was to make 7" tablets, which are cheaper than bigger iPads, then they knew that the market wanted 7" tablets whether it be for the 7" screen or the lower price or both.

Apple responded with an iPad mini, which has a screen 40% bigger than the competitors' 7" tablets and costs more, and it sold well. Apple could have made cheap 7" tablets like its competitors.

Microsoft responded to Apple and its competitors (besides MSFT itself) with a PoS, as usual.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:09 PM   #78
cmChimera
macrumors 68000
 
cmChimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
Apple surely is, but it's not their top concern. Otherwise, my iMac would still be alive and not disassembled and its pieces shipped across the world.
I disagree. I think Apple's philosophy is that in order to profit they have to keep making the best products. I'm guessing your iMac broke down? Making the best products doesn't mean that no product will ever fail.
cmChimera is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:09 PM   #79
tipp
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
"The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake."

The bold part is the part I call unbelievable. The underlined part is the part I agree with.
These are not mutually exclusive! It is 100% possible for Apple to think the the best way to make money is the bolded part of Cook's statement, thus making it the most important thing to Apple. They believe they will make less money if they cut corners on their products for the sake of revenues/profits.
tipp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:09 PM   #80
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a
 
Nunyabinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Provo, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
"The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake."

The bold part is the part I call unbelievable. The underlined part is the part I agree with.
A couple of posts before you said they do make the best products in the world. Which is it?
__________________
iMac w/Retina 4GHz; 27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7; 15" MBP, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo; 13" MBA 1.7 GHz i5; iPad (3rd Gen); iPad Mini; iPhone 6+;
Nunyabinez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:10 PM   #81
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by driceman View Post
It's a lie and it isn't IMO. They want to make revenue, and they intend to do that by making the best products they can because that's how they've done it in the past.
Are people calling this a lie because they don't think Apple makes the best products they can or because they think Apple's primary motivation is money not making great products?
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful."— Jony Ive 
Rogifan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:11 PM   #82
flux73
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
"The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake."

The bold part is the part I call unbelievable. The underlined part is the part I agree with.
I think what he's saying is that the big overall question they ask when plan their business strategy is how do we make great products, rather than how do we make more money. That doesn't mean they don't want to make money also. Just that their business model isn't predicated on addressing that question first and foremost.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:13 PM   #83
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
If they knew the only way to compete with the iPad was to make 7" tablets, which are cheaper than bigger iPads, then they knew that the market wanted 7" tablets whether it be for the 7" screen or the lower price or both.

Apple responded with an iPad mini, which has a screen 40% bigger than the competitors' 7" tablets and costs more, and it sold well. Apple could have made cheap 7" tablets like its competitors.

Microsoft responded to Apple and its competitors (besides MSFT itself) with a PoS, as usual.
At the end of the day I think it was all about price. And 7" and decent enough quality gets them $199.
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful."— Jony Ive 
Rogifan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:14 PM   #84
tekstud
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayagi View Post
Just wish they offered better hardware in the MacBooks to justify the prices. I hate how they do the slow annual updates and bump up specs just by a bit. Or like with the iPad 1 not having a camera and putting it in the next gen. Like it was impossible to get a camera inside the 1st one And the iPad Mini not having retina...
That is sadly the history of Apple.
Like why did we have to wait 5 years to get HDMI on any MAc?
tekstud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:14 PM   #85
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
I think what he's saying is that the big overall question they ask when plan their business strategy is how do we make great products, rather than how do we make more money. That doesn't mean they don't want to make money also. Just that their business model isn't predicated on addressing that question first and foremost.
Someone should ask Jeff Besos if Amazon is interested in revenue for revenue's sake.
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful."— Jony Ive 
Rogifan is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:16 PM   #86
wbeasley
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Hear, hear!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
And yet so many others think they have indeed made the best product ever, I count myself one of them.

Criteria are different for different people, they are neither universal nor absolute.

Sorry, I'm just so tired of this "the mini is crap because it's not retina" b***h fest that repeats more than a broken record.
Thank you for telling it like it is in the REAL world.

These devices are rarely in stock. They are flying out the door.

The whole "it doesn't have a retina screen" is a crock. LOOK at the screen. It looks sharp, works well and doesn't chew battery. I'd rather have that in a Gen1 device any day over a retina screen.

In two years time, are you all going to be screaming "it doesn't have a 4K screen"? These are tools people. They aren't your life.

Those holding off because of the lack of retina screen are the ones missing out. Same as the "tech gurus" who didn't buy an iPad1 because they couldn't see the point of a giant iPod. History has shown them to be so far off the mark. Real world sales data is now showing the lack of retina screen is in no way hampering iPad mini sales.

Now Samsung are going to deliver a 8" Note. What better recommendation could Apple get than Samsung copying yet again? They made an over-priced 7.7" device that didn't sell well. It was really nice. Just too expensive. No doubt the new 8" version will have a more competitive price tag.

My only complaint about Apple is the rediculous-for-2013 premium price for incremental memory increases. $100 for 16G or 32G is so far off the mark. That's what hurting iPod sales: too expensive for too little memory. Look at the price drop of retail USB memory sticks over the past two years... Apple is making a huge amount because you can't add an SD card (or micro SD).

The 16G, 32G and 64G versions need to be trimmed to 16G (entry) and 64G (high end) at the current 32G price. Or shift to 32G, 64G and 128G for the same money.

Last edited by wbeasley; Jan 23, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
wbeasley is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:17 PM   #87
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
If only other companies copied Steve Jobs when he said "Our aim is not to spread ourselves too thin". We would have epic products in every category then.
turtlez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:17 PM   #88
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekstud View Post
It's not crap but it leaves a lot to be desired.
Disagree completely. Where does that leave us now? Argue incessantly about a product, which I bought day one and have done nothing since except revel in said decision, with people who: 1) are disappointed with the mini (or my decision), 2) are severely disappointed (with either/both), 3) are utterly disappointed (with both) but will never be satisfied unless it craps Android chocolate buttons every time I press the home key, 4) feel superior in contradicting and being negative about just about everything on earth, 5) don't understand others have different criteria, 6) believe others are stupid simply for enjoying a product with about which they don't feel the same, or 7) all of the above?

iBored with discussing my lovely iPad mini with all of the above.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:19 PM   #89
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekstud View Post
FYI- The current Gen 3 ATV is 1080P so maybe you should just get Gen2 on eBay?
Forget the remote in the box- use the Remote app for iPhone or iPad, so much better.
Good plan. I'll probably still wait for whatever little (or big) bump ATV gets in future, before I buy any of them. Just in case it has something I want! Mainly I want AirPlay, and I can live without it a while longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
What you said is believable, and I agree with it. That's not what Cook said. The objective of Apple is to make money, and it does this by making great (typically the best) products.

----------



I have to DOWNSCALE the Apple TV to 720p to get it to work, ironically. Do you have a Sony Qualia projector, by chance?
I have a random unknown brand of mini-projector... Qumi Q2. But it's been great so far... focus is a little off (doesn't matter for most things) but it's cheap and LED-driven, yet surprisingly bright, and super-portable. 1280x800: fun for Mac FPS games.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:22 PM   #90
tekstud
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
Disagree completely. Where does that leave us now? Argue incessantly about a product, which I bought day one and have done nothing since except revel in said decision, with people who: 1) are disappointed with the mini (or my decision), 2) are severely disappointed (with either/both), 3) are utterly disappointed (with both) but will never be satisfied unless it craps Android chocolate buttons every time I press the home key, 4) feel superior in contradicting and being negative about just about everything on earth, 5) don't understand others have different criteria, 6) believe others are stupid simply for enjoying a product with about which they don't feel the same, or 7) all of the above?

iBored with discussing my lovely iPad mini with all of the above.
What do you use it primarily for? As an eReader? Photos? Movies?
tekstud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:23 PM   #91
Mike Valmike
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxny View Post
That famous Halo is dimming a bit, why are Mac sales lower than last year?
Can't be just iMac delays etc.
Can't it? And what about delays on the refresh of the Mini and the delay still ongoing for an update of the Pro? Last time the Mac Pro had anything done to it that a firmware flash didn't cover, was 2009! Four years!

In fact, on top of the extreme lateness of the updates and the extreme supply constraints in pushing out sales of them, the flat-out uncertainty over the future of the lines put a dark cloud over them. With Apple's fanatical attention to mobile and portable sectors, it seemed plausible that the Mac desktops would be EOLed or combined into some unified model. Given the wording of Tim Cook's "confirmation" of the Mac Pro refresh "later" this year, this possibility is in fact still in play...

The entire PC segment contracted sharply. Macs outperformed the sector overall. But Apple lost sales to self-inflicted wounds, for sure. They should have issued spec bumps in May or June and waited on the redesign until early 2013 when supply yields would have been in better shape.
Mike Valmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:26 PM   #92
tekstud
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Valmike View Post
Can't it? And what about delays on the refresh of the Mini and the delay still ongoing for an update of the Pro? Last time the Mac Pro had anything done to it that a firmware flash didn't cover, was 2009! Four years!

In fact, on top of the extreme lateness of the updates and the extreme supply constraints in pushing out sales of them, the flat-out uncertainty over the future of the lines put a dark cloud over them. With Apple's fanatical attention to mobile and portable sectors, it seemed plausible that the Mac desktops would be EOLed or combined into some unified model. Given the wording of Tim Cook's "confirmation" of the Mac Pro refresh "later" this year, this possibility is in fact still in play...

The entire PC segment contracted sharply. Macs outperformed the sector overall. But Apple lost sales to self-inflicted wounds, for sure. They should have issued spec bumps in May or June and waited on the redesign until early 2013 when supply yields would have been in better shape.
Could it be that the Retinas are just too expensive in this current economy?
Also I think there is some Apple fatigue here especially when what you bought 2 years ago can't use the current features- 13"MBP and Airplay mirroring - I'm looking at you.
tekstud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:34 PM   #93
sinsin07
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Biggest lie ever.
Ok, please point to the cheap Apple products flooding the lower end markets, you know, just to make a dollar.
sinsin07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:35 PM   #94
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Valmike View Post
Can't it? And what about delays on the refresh of the Mini and the delay still ongoing for an update of the Pro? Last time the Mac Pro had anything done to it that a firmware flash didn't cover, was 2009! Four years!

In fact, on top of the extreme lateness of the updates and the extreme supply constraints in pushing out sales of them, the flat-out uncertainty over the future of the lines put a dark cloud over them. With Apple's fanatical attention to mobile and portable sectors, it seemed plausible that the Mac desktops would be EOLed or combined into some unified model. Given the wording of Tim Cook's "confirmation" of the Mac Pro refresh "later" this year, this possibility is in fact still in play...

The entire PC segment contracted sharply. Macs outperformed the sector overall. But Apple lost sales to self-inflicted wounds, for sure. They should have issued spec bumps in May or June and waited on the redesign until early 2013 when supply yields would have been in better shape.
well, new iMacs delayed, new macbook pro retinas much less affordable than the last and the fact that the entire pc segment is contracting, this shoudln't be a surprising trend.
FrozenDarkness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:40 PM   #95
ghost187
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
WTH People? I see nothing but positive results from earnings. If it wasn't for the mac numbers earnings per share would be around $15. Apple literally stopped selling iMacs for months till the new ones came out in very limited quantities. So macs being off 1.1 mill is perfectly normal, and it means monster upcoming quarter for macs. About 40% yoy growth on iPhones (considering the 1 less week last quarter), and huge growth on iPads is phenomenal. Yeah, we didn't get 50 million iPhones, but that was unrealistic from the start considering supply chain issues. Shares will take a hit this week. But starting next week, smart investors will jump on APPL and I see a huge rally in February.
ghost187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:44 PM   #96
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030
 
ChrisTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Apple certainly knows better than I do, but I liked it better when they released a steady stream of products throughout the year. Vs. releasing their entire product portfolio all in the fall before the busy holiday season.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 6+, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:44 PM   #97
AnalyzeThis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Sure it is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
We're working on some incredible stuff. The pipeline is chock full. We feel great about what we've got in store.
Indeed pipeline is full of mini, maxi, widi, but it will not change any of the same thing. Brace yourselves for for steady loss of market share and whatever comes from it.

Apple may full their followers, but not investors. Quiet please, I think I heard a toilet flash...

Last edited by AnalyzeThis; Jan 23, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
AnalyzeThis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:47 PM   #98
Eric E. Schmidt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Calif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Biggest lie ever.
why? apple is a love brand, of which there are only a handful. want to take a wild guess at which part of tim´s quote that got it there? and further, how it benefits apple financially?
Eric E. Schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:55 PM   #99
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
Yeah, Tim Cook's quotes are never good ones.
It's easy to sit in the bleachers and throw rocks...

I happen to think the man is doing an exemplary job with what he has to work with, in the current economic climate.

At the top earning executive level, and lower, lots of shareholders of various stocks are dumping to avoid the tax increases the government has put in place. It has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with coming out of pocket with a lot more cash to pay our individual taxes.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:13 PM   #100
1Alec1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
It's easy to sit in the bleachers and throw rocks...
But I hardly ever throw rocks at quotes from others, especially Steve Jobs. Even if I'm an especially harsh critic, multiplying both sides by 2 will still put Cook behind.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekstud View Post
That is sadly the history of Apple.
Like why did we have to wait 5 years to get HDMI on any MAc?
Many of Apple's display outputs = DVI = HDMI for video (just with different shapes), though HDMI also carries audio. Frankly, HDMI's shape is a huge pain because it keeps slipping out, unlike DVI. There were so many times when my movie setup failed just because a random HDMI cable fell out behind the boxes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
A couple of posts before you said they do make the best products in the world. Which is it?
They make the best products, when compared to similar competing products, in the world in some cases. But that's not Apple's reason for existence. The goal of any company is to make profit.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp View Post
These are not mutually exclusive! It is 100% possible for Apple to think the the best way to make money is the bolded part of Cook's statement, thus making it the most important thing to Apple. They believe they will make less money if they cut corners on their products for the sake of revenues/profits.
So... what is the most important thing for Apple, making money or making good products? You seem to say that making good products is the most important thing because it brings in money, but that would mean that making money is the most important thing, and they make good products to accomplish that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
I disagree. I think Apple's philosophy is that in order to profit they have to keep making the best products. I'm guessing your iMac broke down? Making the best products doesn't mean that no product will ever fail.
I wasn't mad about the fact that my iMac failed, and it was NVIDIA's fault anyway, but I was very disappointed when I found out that you have to take the screen off the computer and get through duct tape to even reach the hard drive, should it fail (and mine did, so I replaced it with a lot of effort). Then the GPU failed later, and I couldn't even get to it. The previous designs (iMac G5) opened with only 2 screws.

In addition, Apple did not recall the 2006 24" iMacs even though they had widespread GPU problems for anyone who bought them early... NVIDIA's fault, but it's Apple's job to recall them and deal with it themselves. Apple just ignored it. Sure I still like Macs the best, but it's clear that Apple's main focus is making money, not just making good products.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp View Post
As Nunyabinez said, you need to learn how to read. It is what Cook said and what he and Apple believes. You wrote, "but a statement that they care about making good products and not money can't be credited." Nowhere did Cook say they didn't care about making money. He said "revenue for revenue's sake." That means they will not compromise product quality for the sole purpose of increasing revenue. Better reading comprehension please. Stop digging your hole...
"The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world" is what I was referring to. The most important thing to Apple is not to make the best products in the world; it is to make money by making the best products in the world. Even that is questionable because I would not consider ALL of Apple's products the best in the world.

And just saying, the whole "digging your hole" thing is unnecessary, but if it makes you feel a little better, go ahead.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tim Cook: "North America was a challenge. We had no growth" easy-peasy Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 41 Feb 12, 2014 10:21 PM
Tim Cook Says Apple Working on 'Some Really Great Stuff' in New Product Categories MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 189 Feb 10, 2014 08:41 AM
Tim Cook: New Product Categories Still Coming in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 100 Nov 19, 2013 08:58 PM
Tim Cook Visits China to Discuss Market Growth, Low-Cost iPhone with Carriers? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 58 Aug 14, 2013 11:14 AM
What new product should Tim Cook introduced? vaio1990 iPhone 23 Jan 28, 2013 04:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC