Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

152516-apple_logo.jpg
During today's Q1 2013 Financial Results conference call, Apple CEO Tim Cook fielded questions about Apple's results and plans. As usual, Apple was unwilling to provide any specific details about their future plans.

Cook was asked about the importance of market share preservation and whether or not holding their smartphone marketshare was a priority in 2013:
The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake. We could put the Apple brand on a lot of things and sell a lot more stuff. We only want to make the best products. We've been able to build market share and have a great track record with iPod of doing different products at different price points. I wouldn't view those as mutually exclusive as some might. We're focused on making great products that enrich lives.
As for Apple's plans for 2013, Cook, as usual, acknowledges that Apple is working on a number of new products and he shares his optimism on those:
We're working on some incredible stuff. The pipeline is chock full. We feel great about what we've got in store.
With regard to the Apple TV, Cook reiterated it was an area that they had intense interest in:
This is an area of intense interest for us and remains that. I tend to believe that there is a lot we can contribute in this space and we continue to pull the string and see where it leads us. Don't want to be more specific.
Cook also revealed that the Apple TV had sold over 2 million units this past quarter -- 60% year over year.

Finally, Cook emphasized that they felt that the "halo" effect was still in full force. As customers buy one Apple product, they tend to buy more.
"The other thing for us, maybe not for others, if somebody buys an iPad mini and it's their first Apple product, we have great experience through the years -- if someone buys their first Apple product, these people buy another Apple product. It's the halo effect, as we termed it, that we saw with the iPod and the Mac -- we've seen some of that with the iPad as well. I see it as a huge opportunity."

Article Link: Tim Cook on Defending Marketshare, Product Pipeline 'Chock Full', Apple TV Growth

1Alec1

macrumors regular
AAPL stock dumps because revenue increases but doesn't meet estimates, profit increases and beats estimates... P/E ratio is still very low.

So people are sad about profits increasing??? Revenue didn't increase much, but what did they expect, this isn't Amazon. No matter how good Apple is, I think it's a bad idea to invest in it just because its shareholders are mostly stupid people or pessimistic people.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/apple...venue-falls-short-20130123-01265#.UQBtWI6QlX0

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Problem arise when a company do not listen to market demand no more...
Bigger screen size for iPhone.
a more affordable ,entry-level,laptop for education for exemple.
a iCloud that can be use as Dropbox...
Check the iPad mini!!!! Market ask for a smaller tablet size. you.ve done it and sell millions!

-jc

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
He said revenue, not profit.

And what he says is right - Apple could make a ton more revenue / market share (but not profit) if they were as willing as other companies to forego good products and just produce as many different things as they could.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's easy to say you're not interested in revenue when the revenue is flowing nicely. If that revenue stream dries up, they'll probably be a lot more honest about being interested in revenue for the sake of revenue.

Simple714

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Problem arise when a company do not listen to market demand no more...
Bigger screen size for iPhone.
a more affordable ,entry-level,laptop for education for exemple.
a iCloud that can be use as Dropbox...
Check the iPad mini!!!! Market ask for a smaller tablet size. you.ve done it and sell millions!

Sounds like you could use a more affordable laptop... *example :D

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
You're saying that Apple's mission is NOT to make money? That's ridiculous.

There needs to be some better reading comprehension by people. Let me help you. First, Revenue is not the same as Profit. Apple has always focused on profit not revenue. Second, it was revenue for revenue's sake. This means that if Apple could make more revenue by making a crappy product than by making a quality product they would not do it. And they have demonstrated repeatedly that they aren't out for just revenue, or just market share.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Yes, but: "The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake."

I wouldn't call this "the biggest lie ever", but it's cheesy propaganda that's only partially true.

I guess I don't really find it cheesy or unbelievable that a company may genuinely be interested in making good products.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
There needs to be some better reading comprehension by people. Let me help you. First, Revenue is not the same as Profit. Apple has always focused on profit not revenue. Second, it was revenue for revenue's sake. This means that if Apple could make more revenue by making a crappy product than by making a quality product they would not do it. And they have demonstrated repeatedly that they aren't out for just revenue, or just market share.

ok...so let me make this simple for you....what comes first....revenue or profit? You have to have revenue first to make a profit from......revenue equals sales......you cannot make a profit without sales. Doesn't mean you have to diminish the brand...but you have to have revenue before you can make a profit from the revenue.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.