Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frodoinc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
I have an AirPort express (G Version) and I would like to have it supply internet through an ethernet cord to a device and receive the internet signal via wireless. My device has proven very glitchy in receiving a wireless signal,but works fine when connected via ethernet. I have tried a few different things but I've had no luck so far.

Diagram to better understand the situation

AirPort Extreme ----(Wireless)-----AirPort Express ---(Ethernet Cable)---Device.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think the Express G can do that. I know the N and the new one can. For the N one, you need to set it up to join or extend a network or set it up as a WDS relay/remote.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
The old version doesn't support this. The new version does, but not the older one. You can only use the ethernet port on the old version to either connect it to the internet for wifi broadcasting or to connect a device to it and use the express as a wifi dongle; but it cannot do both, be a wifi access point AND a device dongle, it is one or the other.

The new one supports both options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.