Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1
keepingeyesopen
macrumors newbie

Update to IOS6?

OK, don't laugh, but I have a simple question: Should I update my wife's iPhone 4S to iOS6? She loves her phone and has no big problems; her use of the phone is relatively simple - mainly phone calls, maps app (for traffic and itineraries), camera, and a few simple apps.

We held off updating to iOS6 because of the reported early issues (particularly with the new maps app). Now that the dust has settled and there is now a Google maps app, should we go ahead and update the phone (now running iOS 5.1)?

What changes will be noticed, and what are the advantages of updating to iOS 6? Any problems she might encounter after updating?

Although I'm an Apple fan (iMac, MacBook Air), my own phone is Android so I'm not that experienced with using the iPhone and iOS. I would appreciate any comments aimed at an experienced iMac user but who is somewhat inexperienced with iOS.

Thanks.
keepingeyesopen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 PM   #3
canesalato
macrumors regular

Wait for iOS 6.1. should be a lot more stable and it will have a better iTunes match implementation
canesalato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

If the phone is running fine, just leave it where it's at.
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

If she likes the integration between other apps and Siri and google maps, I may advise to stay at 5.1.1. But since Google Maps is available as a separate download, and she doesn't mind using it without integration from other apps and Siri, I'd suggest upgrading to iOS 6. Although the traffic visualization is horrible in the current Apple maps and Google maps on iOS 6. Very hard to see where the traffic is since the green/yellow/orange/red etc lines are so thin and hard to see. Although there are hundreds of other traffic apps out there that are better. (I used and still use the sigalert app, but only good if you live in area where it's supported)

Apple maps isn't so bad either though.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingeyesopen View Post
OK, don't laugh, but I have a simple question: Should I update my wife's iPhone 4S to iOS6? She loves her phone and has no big problems; her use of the phone is relatively simple - mainly phone calls, maps app (for traffic and itineraries), camera, and a few simple apps.

We held off updating to iOS6 because of the reported early issues (particularly with the new maps app). Now that the dust has settled and there is now a Google maps app, should we go ahead and update the phone (now running iOS 5.1)?

What changes will be noticed, and what are the advantages of updating to iOS 6? Any problems she might encounter after updating?

Although I'm an Apple fan (iMac, MacBook Air), my own phone is Android so I'm not that experienced with using the iPhone and iOS. I would appreciate any comments aimed at an experienced iMac user but who is somewhat inexperienced with iOS.

Thanks.
Yes Safari is noticeably quicker on iOS 6, they improved iMessage in iOS 6, Siri as well and overall performance of the 4S on iOS 6 is a little snappier then it on iOS 5
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesalato View Post
Wait for iOS 6.1. should be a lot more stable and it will have a better iTunes match implementation
I suggest waiting for iOS 6.1 as well. There will more bug fixes and stability improvements.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Tags
ios6, maps, updating