Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
It isn't normal for all iPhone 5's to do it. That was confirmed to me by Apple themselves. The rep told me not all iPhones are affected. My thoughts? I think to some degree they all do it. And by "some degree" I mean of greatly varying degrees. I showed my photos to a coworker who has the 5 and she told me she hasn't experienced the issue at all. Or maybe she just hasn't noticed it yet? Either way, I don't think it should be happening.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It isn't normal for all iPhone 5's to do it. That was confirmed to me by Apple themselves. The rep told me not all iPhones are affected.

That rep was probably telling you that in that hopes that your replacement phone would be accepted through placebo.

My thoughts? I think to some degree they all do it. And by "some degree" I mean of greatly varying degrees. I showed my photos to a coworker who has the 5 and she told me she hasn't experienced the issue at all.

A lot of it has to do with usage and how/where the user is taking photos. Some iPhone 5 owners are taking indoor shots, or framing away from the sun like most photographers should, and will likely not experience the issue nearly as much. Others, like yourself, will be actively trying to take pictures under conditions intended to aggravate the issue, and of course you're going to get exactly what you're trying to see.

There are probably some minor variances from one sensor to the next, but not to the wide extent you claim.

Or maybe she just hasn't noticed it yet? Either way, I don't think it should be happening.

Purple fringing is well-known, long-established artifact of digital photography on a lots of digital cameras, not just the iPhone 5. It's not a desirable thing, but it is a limitation of the available technology. That's all there is to it.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
They will all flare if a bright light is in the edge of the frame. Without taking a picture, point camera at a bright light, and then move the camera so the bright light moves to edge of frame. You will see the purple flare.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Fair enough. Care to explain to me why my first iPhone 5 never produced shots with the purple flaring? Or at least not to the extent where it's not noticeable to me, where as on the new device it's overly apparent? And as for your claims I'm looking for exactly what I'm getting, that's complete conjecture on your part. Spare me the accusations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.