Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
kelsmiche
macrumors newbie

Headphone adapter

I have a lifeproof case for my IPad and I can't get the adapter to plug in all the way so I can listen to the headphones. I've taken the case off and put it back on and the same thing happens every time, I plug the adapter in as far as it will go and yet the sound still comes out of the speaker on the iPad. Help!
kelsmiche is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2
CNeufeld
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsmiche View Post
I have a lifeproof case for my IPad and I can't get the adapter to plug in all the way so I can listen to the headphones. I've taken the case off and put it back on and the same thing happens every time, I plug the adapter in as far as it will go and yet the sound still comes out of the speaker on the iPad. Help!
Have you tried talking to the makers of the case? Another option is to try making the headphone hole (in the case) larger so you can get the headphone plug in further. Are you using the provided headphones? The jack on those is about as minimal as you can get... I've had other headphone sets that I had to "trim" with some cases to get them to fit...

I hope that you've tested without the case and everything works that way, right?

Clint
CNeufeld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
jaybar
macrumors regular

There are solutions that in some way depend on the cost of your headphones. Drew at Moon-Audio is very much the perfectionist and can assemble a custom adaptor. His work is expensive, so it might only make sense for costly headphones.

Many case manufacturers provide clearance based on the apple ear-bud types. These have a very minimal barrel.

Another solution would be to acquire a headphone amp and plug that into the ipad and then plug your headphones into the amp. The amp is plugged into the ipad via the DOC using an LOD cable. This can get very expensive but it has the ability to radically improve sound.

You need to think through your various options in relation to what your overall sonic goal is.

Jay
jaybar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad