Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I used to use an app called Axcrypt on windows. I am looking for a new workflow that allows you to quickly encrypt the file, ideally by right clicking it and having a choice to do that from the menu.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I used to use an app called Axcrypt on windows. I am looking for a new workflow that allows you to quickly encrypt the file, ideally by right clicking it and having a choice to do that from the menu.

I was using Axcrypt on Windows too, but I have failed to find anything similar on Mac, so I now use an encrypted disk image on Mac and drag files into the encrypted drive instead, works well.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ec9mGECPE8

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Interesting. I want to encrypt one file per folder. which works good but having it all in one place could be functional, although there is quite a few folders to go through. I will post if I find anything.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
yea mac doesnt have much for that. so i had to make an encrypted disc then chage the icon to a folder as well. sucks

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
PGP desktop for Mac.....

can let do you exactly that: Encript a file with a click. Also permanently delete files. But you have to find what version works for you, configure it and use it in trial mode.....

:):apple:

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
can let do you exactly that: Encript a file with a click. Also permanently delete files. But you have to find what version works for you, configure it and use it in trial mode.....

Look promising although I can't figure out how much it would cost to register. Symantec wanted me to buy it from some partner..

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012

If it ain't free, why bother when there are free alternatives :D

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
This was recently suggested to me in another thread, it looks very interesting and is the first free solution that I have seen that seems to be cross platform. http://www.truecrypt.org

I ended up learning how to make an encrypted drive using disk utility for the time being.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
You can use....

PGP desktop for free. Only in trial mode and with a license code you have to get from Symantec....:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.