Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Mac Fly (film)
macrumors 6502

They need to look at the reliability of iMessage on the Mac. For Mac users it sucks, we expect more from Apple.

Can't wait for iTV.
Mac Fly (film) is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #27
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
It's enabled by default to replace text messaging. Half the people who use it don't even know they're using it. It's not popular in the traditional sense where something new comes out that everybody wants to get and use.
True, but it does become very apperent when you text a non iPhone number that you are not using imessage.

If it wasn't set by default, I would have enabled it once I knew it was available.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:40 AM   #28
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
This is the biggest disappointment for me. Match has the most potential for Apple, IMO, providing convenience and quality at a bargain price. Unfortunately it truly is a mess right now. If it's fixed, it could be huge.
Works fine for me. Over 20,000 songs on iPhone, iPad, computer in my study, computer at work. It even matched songs that I recorded myself from LPs.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:52 AM   #29
cxny
macrumors 6502

iCloud not ready for me

Not sure what happened over the Christmas break but iCloud messed me up.
A complete strangers photos appeared in my Photo Stream including gross pictures of a sonogram and pregnant woman's belly, very weird!

I deleted everything then my iPhone lost all contacts (except for what I presume were the other guys phone numbers) Apple were less than helpful and I ended up restring to a back up from months ago.

Just an anecdote but I'm not ready to touch Cloud Anything for a looong time...
cxny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:11 AM   #30
Detektiv-Pinky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
"Files" are not something in Apple's future plans.
Sure, they figured out that it makes it much more difficult to switch computing platforms. They will not make it easy or cheap for you to leave theirs.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:17 AM   #31
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
lets just be able to save files directly to it please..

also let us use other email addresses with iCloud mail sync
and not just @icloud ones
The folks running those other emails are who you need to gripe at, not Apple.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:17 AM   #32
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

Not sure how they would do it exactly

I just wish in apple mail it would sync my inbox and outbox between all my Macs and iPad, for my work and icloud email addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
What do you mean? How would Apple sync mail that isn't their own? You can set up your mail accounts on any Apple device. They just aren't a part of iCloud.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:28 AM   #33
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDaddyx2 View Post
Give us a Windows client for iCloud so we can drop files into it like Dropbox. That would help a bit with companies invested in iOS who are using Dropbox right now.
You can't do that with a Mac so until that happens, you won't see a Windows version.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
What they just realised cloud computing is the future now! if only they had got Mobileme right in the first place.
Reliability aside, many folks think that MobileMe was right and that's what Apple needs to go back to.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
True, but it does become very apperent when you text a non iPhone number that you are not using imessage.
I know a lot of folks that don't understand what the two colors mean and still don't understand why you can't iMessage to non Apple products.

----------

I find it amusing that for almost any other company, massive growth in a key service in terms of users and profits levels that didn't go down would push the stock value up, but with Apple it goes down. Given that the veil of 'Steve worked on that' is ending (erroneously perhaps since tech companies develop stuff for years before we hear about it) this is now the first perceived 'Tim Cook's Apple' period and since he's seen as a numbers man and not a designer many didn't expect much. That things stayed steady in terms of profit should be seen as a good thing. Demand is good on the iMacs which is why the supply hasn't recovered etc, iPhone sales are good, the iPad mini is flying off the shelves. Steve would have been proud of that, I think. So why the fleeing from the ship
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #34
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
first 2 posts are negative ones. What a surprise .

i have used iCloud since day 1. Dropbox still does a lot of things better than icloud.

----------

Quote:
Give us a Windows client for iCloud so we can drop files into it like Dropbox. That would help a bit with companies invested in iOS who are using Dropbox right now.
you go to icloud.com and you can kind of do that. i upload MS Word files into it, then open the file in pages on my phone or ipad
alent1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 AM   #35
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

A few of my wishes/thoughts about Apple cloud services:

1. Apple could & should enable full i-device backups to iCloud with no size limits and for free. Right now the limit and the hassle of purchasing (especially when you have several devices) is simply not "it just works". Users should not think about it at all, if you buy Apple product, everything is safely and automatically backed up in tjhe cloud. No managing.

2. We need place for files. I think Apple is wrong with their "no visible file system at all" philosophy. At least let it be enabled for "advanced" users. Until then Dropbox is solution, but it's not 100% what is truly needed.

3. I don't like how the Photostream currently works. I want it to be fully automatic, fully sychronised with iPhoto/Aperture (also events, folders and so on) with possibilty to "stream" photos form Mac. AND - why the hell videos are still not synchronised?
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #36
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
i have used iCloud since day 1. Dropbox still does a lot of things better than icloud.

----------

you go to icloud.com and you can kind of do that. i upload MS Word files into it, then open the file in pages on my phone or ipad
I'm not sure you understand the extent of iCloud?

----------

sorry for missing teh sarcasm by the way guys. Its been a long day

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #37
rcappo
macrumors regular

My Mom is on iCloud and it is working great to keep the iPad and iPhone sync'd without a Mac.

I am not on iCloud yet, I hope to be this weekend. For it is embarrassing that my Mom is more high tech than me.
rcappo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:50 AM   #38
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

Almost forgot my biggest wish for iCloud - iMessages done the right way! I NEED ALL MY MESSAGES to be synchronised, not only iMessages, damn it! I want to see my SMSs on my Mac, I want to be able to reply to them (let it happen by first synching to iPhone and then automatically sending it via regular SMS). Of course, there will be warnings about carrier charges, the same colour indicator and so on. But currently the iMessage is incomplete solution. I will NEVER have everyone in my contacts with Apple devices. That will NEVER happen.
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:56 AM   #39
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
Almost forgot my biggest wish for iCloud - iMessages done the right way! I NEED ALL MY MESSAGES to be synchronised, not only iMessages, damn it! I want to see my SMSs on my Mac, I want to be able to reply to them (let it happen by first synching to iPhone and then automatically sending it via regular SMS). Of course, there will be warnings about carrier charges, the same colour indicator and so on. But currently the iMessage is incomplete solution. I will NEVER have everyone in my contacts with Apple devices. That will NEVER happen.
Syncing your messages would require access to third party messaging services and that requires contractual agreements. Or are you going to think people who use iMessage exclusively chat only to Apple based server accounts?
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 AM   #40
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
But we don't need iCloud to do that because we have Dropbox. I doubt Apple could do Dropbox better than Dropbox already has, and they wouldn't because Apple is all about not having to manage files these days.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 AM   #41
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

iCloud works perfectly for me. My household runs 4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iPad Mini 3 Apple TV's, an iMac, Macbook Pro and 3 PC's. 4 iCloud email accounts (were .Mac, then MobileMe) and iTunes Match. All cabling is gigabit and connected to an Airport extreme and Airport Express linked to a 100Mb cable service.

I have an extensive iTunes library which is stored on the iMac in its entirety and syncs with iTunes Match. This is then served to all other devices. iTunes also serves all TV and Movie content to the Apple TV's.

Just renewed iTunes Match yesterday as it has worked perfectly since day one.

iMessage is used heavily as the majority of my friends and co-workers now have iPhones along with many of our customers.

One thing I would like to see from Apple straight away is an updated video player in the iPad based on the Remote app.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:07 AM   #42
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
iCloud works perfectly for me. My household runs 4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iPad Mini 3 Apple TV's, an iMac, Macbook Pro and 3 PC's. 4 iCloud email accounts (were .Mac, then MobileMe) and iTunes Match. All cabling is gigabit and connected to an Airport extreme and Airport Express linked to a 100Mb cable service.

I have an extensive iTunes library which is stored on the iMac in its entirety and syncs with iTunes Match. This is then served to all other devices. iTunes also serves all TV and Movie content to the Apple TV's.

Just renewed iTunes Match yesterday as it has worked perfectly since day one.

iMessage is used heavily as the majority of my friends and co-workers now have iPhones along with many of our customers.

One thing I would like to see from Apple straight away is an updated video player in the iPad based on the Remote app.
Sums up my experience as well. I'd just like to see more iCloud-enabled apps and true iTunes Match streaming for my music. More free storage would be nice too.
thelookingglass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:09 AM   #43
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
Not sure how they would do it exactly

I just wish in apple mail it would sync my inbox and outbox between all my Macs and iPad, for my work and icloud email addresses
iCloud mail will sync between all of your devices if you have them configured as IMAP accounts. Same goes for your work, maybe they should invest in a proper mail service?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:11 AM   #44
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
service usage is approaching the order of magnitude of a billion users.
is making over $2B/quarter without even trying.
stock down 10%.

BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!
Morning Tim.
Bubba Satori is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:15 AM   #45
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Fix all the bugs in iCloud. It is so unreliable. Sometimes delayed mail, and the bookmarks and favorites don't always show in Safari (on my iPhone) iTunes Match screwed up the order in my smart playlists. No web hosting or iDisk like in Mobile Me.

How hard is it? Google can do it, so can DropBox and all the other cloud services.
I don't think it's the difficulty; after all, they offered a disk in the cloud with iTools over a decade ago. Rather, it's a philosophical shift on Apple's part; a desire to move away from traditional file systems based on the fact that the learning curve for computers tends to steepen dramatically when people encounter the file system. That's why Apple's been tinkering with app based file systems and rejiggered the way Mac apps handles files ("duplicate" instead of "save as" for example). I don't think they're there yet, but I like the fact that they're working on it... hopefully, they'll succeed.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:21 AM   #46
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxtr View Post
I bet if Apple increased the 5GB free iCloud storage to 25GB people would use it even more
Without Dropbox functionality... For what?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 AM   #47
Razeus
macrumors 68040

And yet iCloud is the most convoluted of the bunch. other than backing up my iPhone data, iCloud is useless. Dropbox is a much better solution and I can access ANY document I put there on any device, any computer - WITH EASE.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:32 AM   #48
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I'm not sure you understand the extent of iCloud?

----------

sorry for missing teh sarcasm by the way guys. Its been a long day

there is not much extent to icloud

i dump lots of official documents into dropbox. i scan them with my iphone and the app converts them into a pdf and uploads to dropbox. if i need them i have access to them anywhere from any device and any OS.

i scan my day care receipts this way, dump to dropbox and then put in an FSA claim all online with no paper and no faxing. impossible with icloud.

icloud is like al gores social security lock box.
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 AM   #49
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
And yet iCloud is the most convoluted of the bunch. other than backing up my iPhone data, iCloud is useless. Dropbox is a much better solution and I can access ANY document I put there on any device, any computer - WITH EASE.
It could seem convoluted to you because you've grown accustomed to the traditional file system and have been managing your files that way for years. For people like my parents, accessing files from within the app is far simpler and more intuitive. My mom accesses her Pages files from her iPad and iPhone and the docs are always in sync.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:58 AM   #50
fredf
macrumors 6502

If iCloud is the future, then why isn't Apple investing some time and resources to improve it?

I keep saying, it's software not hardware that is the near term future. And Apple hasn't put nearly the resources necessary into software development on the iOS side.
fredf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion