Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Dr FranknFurter
macrumors member

Migrate iTunes to iMac

Ok I know there is lots of threads, guides etc but none seem to cover my issue.

Currently iTunes Library on my Macbook Air with MEDIA on my external HDD.

New iMac here but I am keeping the Macbook Air as well so I just want to mirror the Library but have the media on the iMac as well

Used migration assistant for accounts and Apps from Time Capsule back up (ext HDD also backed up here) and all ok except iTunes. The library is there (all be it most of the album art missing) but it cant find the media so obviously this has not been copied. Re pointing the media file to the external media does not help, still does not see it.

How do I copy the media from the HDD and retain the Art Work and Library etc correctly?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr FranknFurter View Post
Ok I know there is lots of threads, guides etc but none seem to cover my issue.

Currently iTunes Library on my Macbook Air with MEDIA on my external HDD.

New iMac here but I am keeping the Macbook Air as well so I just want to mirror the Library but have the media on the iMac as well

Used migration assistant for accounts and Apps from Time Capsule back up (ext HDD also backed up here) and all ok except iTunes. The library is there (all be it most of the album art missing) but it cant find the media so obviously this has not been copied. Re pointing the media file to the external media does not help, still does not see it.

How do I copy the media from the HDD and retain the Art Work and Library etc correctly?
Can you not just copy your itunes folder, put it in a shared network folder then drop it into your new itunes ?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Dr FranknFurter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Kerrse View Post
Can you not just copy your itunes folder, put it in a shared network folder then drop it into your new itunes ?
You mean copy the media folder from the HDD straight into the Media folder in iTunes? Sorry still quite new to Macs
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

(1) On your iMac open new Finder window.

(2) Locate iTunes under your User name from the LHS. Leave it there.

(3) Plug in external HDD into the back of the iMac.

(4) Open HDD in new Finder window.

(5) Find iTunes library on external HDD.

(6) Drag it across to the original Finder window in step (2).

That should do it.
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr FranknFurter View Post
You mean copy the media folder from the HDD straight into the Media folder in iTunes? Sorry still quite new to Macs
For a new mac user the poster above has descibed the easiest way for you to do it
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Dr FranknFurter
macrumors member

Thanks guys, doing just that now (trial and error lol) figured worst case scenario is erase and start again since the set up on my Air is perfect and i'm not intending to mess around with that.

Copied it all across by replacing the existing media folder with that from the HDD, now doing the coy files from consolidate music to try and get the art work etc. Seems to be re-cooying all files though? lets see what happens
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Dr FranknFurter
macrumors member

Ok so that appears to have worked but about 20% of the album art work is missing? strange as 100% is there on the Macbook Air and I migrated the Library and now copied the Media across so why would some of the art work be missing?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store