Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:01 PM   #51
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nope7308 View Post
Meh, seemed kind of amateur.
and Pirates of Silicon Valley didnt?

I seem to recall some very dodgy wigs ans bald caps being used.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:02 PM   #52
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by nope7308 View Post
Meh, seemed kind of amateur.
That is exactly what I was thinking... I expected more. But maybe they were going for something else with this movie? With many biographical movies a lot is embellished. Maybe they are trying to embellish nothing? I am not sure. Still undecided if this is something to go see in a theater or just wait for netflix.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:02 PM   #53
nmbr1ctrman
macrumors newbie

They should have gotten Dan Fogler to play Wozniak. That would have been a much better likeness for the roll.
nmbr1ctrman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:04 PM   #54
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr1ctrman View Post
They should have gotten Dan Fogler to play Wozniak. That would have been a much better likeness for the roll.
Dan Fogler would have been a great casting
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:05 PM   #55
Lestdog
macrumors regular

Ashton Kutcher as Ashton Kutcher.
Lestdog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:09 PM   #56
MordechaiCarver
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
"How does somebody know what they want if they've never even seen it?" POWERFUL!!!
Wow, a clip that has a handful of stereotypical Jobs "sayings" in one place...like they were struggling to make it look legit somehow. "How does somebody know what they want if they've never even seen it?" "...so you just (dramatic pause) WILLED it into existence." Gee, that sounds like the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. Hmm...sounds like they want people to stop and say, "Oh, so THAT'S where all those sayings came from. They said Jobs catchphrases, so it must be legit!" I was half expecting it to freeze-frame and have a CG of "CATCHPHRASE" pop up real cheesy-like.

Meh.

Oh, and I agree Kutchie looks a HELLUVA lot like Steve did, but when he talks I just picture Kelso.
MordechaiCarver is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:10 PM   #57
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr1ctrman View Post
The whole thing would've been a hilarious comedy. Dude, Where's My Balls of Fury?
BeyondtheTech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:10 PM   #58
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
Since movies usually show in theatres for 1 day only, I guess you'll never get to see it. Sucks to be you.
Very clever...

I like to experience the buzz of seeing a film on the day it's released (and it would have been nice to see it on my birthday)
MasterHowl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:11 PM   #59
skeep5
macrumors 6502a

The problem isn't the terrible acting, the problem is you've got a some actors trying to act nerdy about a nerdy part of history from the land of nerd-dom. I'm a huge mac fan, but let's be honest it wasn't that dramatic, and maybe not worth another movie.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:12 PM   #60
ort888
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordechaiCarver View Post
Wow, a clip that has a handful of stereotypical Jobs "sayings" in one place...like they were struggling to make it look legit somehow. "How does somebody know what they want if they've never even seen it?" "...so you just (dramatic pause) WILLED it into existence." Gee, that sounds like the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. Hmm...sounds like they want people to stop and say, "Oh, so THAT'S where all those sayings came from. They said Jobs catchphrases, so it must be legit!" I was half expecting it to freeze-frame and have a CG of "CATCHPHRASE" pop up real cheesy-like.

Meh.

Oh, and I agree Kutchie looks a HELLUVA lot like Steve did, but when he talks I just picture Kelso.
Yeah, they really are trying way to hard. This movie will probably be about as subtle as a toddler banging frying pans.

The script seems really horrible. As if everything they say is just foreshadowing for what's to come. Like they should turn to the camera and give a little wink after every line.

No one wants to buy a computer, right? right? wink wink, knowwhatimean?
ort888 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:12 PM   #61
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

I'll watch it, but I see Ashton Kutcher acting there not "steve jobs". It looks meh so far.
obeygiant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:14 PM   #62
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
Looks and sounds like Ashton Kutcher in the role of Ashton Kutcher.
Its not exactly fair to judge based on a clip that most people will view in an office setting or whatever, but I also only see Ashton Kutcher.

As always, Hollywood is more interested in creating buzz that will lead to $$$ than to take the art of film seriously.
RolyPolyBird is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:16 PM   #63
ktappe
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to ktappe Send a message via Yahoo to ktappe
Hair

Is that really what Woz' hair looked like in 1975? Sure it was long, but I thought it was straight from the photos I've seen.
ktappe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:16 PM   #64
srxtr
macrumors 6502a

He sounds more like Tim Cook than Steve Jobs
srxtr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:16 PM   #65
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
I like Ashton but this doesn't even come close to Noah Wyle's performance in Pirates. That other guy playing Wozniak is even worse...
I really agree here. I think Ashton is good but now there is something to use as comparison. Woz is bad though, I hadn't considered how bad he could be.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:17 PM   #66
roasted
macrumors member

So far, I really don't care for what I'm seeing, but I also may be slightly biased as I liked Noah Wiley as Jobs significantly better in comparison to what I've seen so far from Ashton Kutcher as Jobs.
roasted is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:18 PM   #67
Otaviano
macrumors 6502

Looks like crap to me.
Otaviano is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:20 PM   #68
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Since this is more of a documentary I would pay more attention to the message rather than the acting skills, especially in this very small clip.
Since this is a commercial movie, I would expect the very small released clip to be the highest quality thing that they could show.
iRCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 PM   #69
cgmpowers
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to cgmpowers Send a message via Yahoo to cgmpowers
Ashton as Jobs...

I want to see Ashton as Jobs, I think the actor has a convincing passion and it translated for me in this clip.

However that being said, the guy who played Woz, although briefly spoke and reminded me of George Costanza. I was expecting Kramer and Elaine to pop in any minute as it was starting to look like a Seinfeld episode of some sorts.

Christopher Powers
Powers By Design

Last edited by cgmpowers; Jan 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: updating my signature
cgmpowers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 PM   #70
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
LOL exactly. I think he looks the part, but his voice just ruins the entire thing.
Hmmm, I dunno, watch it again, I thought that his voice sounded a lot like Steve's, actually.

Also, I'm surprised that I didn't hate it, the article at Entertainment Weekly said that Kutcher really immersed himself in the role, a claim which the clip seemed to back-up, for me at least.
gatearray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 PM   #71
sck007
macrumors newbie

Wtf.. why it is upload in flash video when it cannot be seen on iOS devices.
sck007 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:22 PM   #72
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytallant View Post
So thats what Hurley from LOST is doing now he got off the island
Dude...
inkswamp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:23 PM   #73
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
An actual documentary would have the real Steve Jobs. This is a FILM based upon the life of Mr. Jobs. Mr. Kutcher's acting skills are a matter for debate.
Gotcha, but I did say it was "MORE OF a documentary", not an actual documentary of course. Yes documentary was the wrong choice of word but I was trying to put out the point that following the message of the movie rather than Ashton's acting skills would be more beneficial to interested parties. It's enough that not many but the Apple faithful and some techies will care to pay to see this movie so they have to choose an actor that would mostly resemble SJ along with someone popular to the media to attract more viewers and Ashton fits the bill. If he's not the best actor, oh well, but the message is what's most important here.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:23 PM   #74
adamw
macrumors regular

Looks interesting. I plan to see this when it comes out in the movie theaters.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:26 PM   #75
Cuechick
macrumors regular

It's nice to see that everyone here is so openminded and fair...

I loved the Noah Wylie movie and his performance... but it is a pretty amazing time in our history. That a couple of guys fooling around in their garage will literally change the world as we know it to the degree that they do is astounding. I am excited to see this version of the story and any others that come out. Who knows, if you skeptics out there actually give it a chance, you might enjoy it... if only for the telling of tale of such historical importance.

In regards to the Hewlett Packard in the background someone mentioned. This was covered in the POSV movie...(possible spoiler) I believe Woz worked for them part time and had signed a contract that any ideas he came up with they had first crack at. So they actually had to offer their first mac-personal computer to them, they passed.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion