Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Many people are speculating that the new iPhones, iPads, iPods and even MacBooks are due after June this year. So do you think Apple wont release any new ios devices this year until June?

KR15P

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
There's dozens of rumors out there so your guess is as good as mine. I read an article where someone thinks iOS 7 is going to be released alongside a new iPad sometime in March or April. Gotta take them all with a grain of salt.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
There's dozens of rumors out there so your guess is as good as mine. I read an article where someone thinks iOS 7 is going to be released alongside a new iPad sometime in March or April. Gotta take them all with a grain of salt.

I've noticed all these rumours predict launch months which Apple have used in the past such as March, June, September, October, November. Why doesn't anyone predict January, February, May, August or December launches?

KR15P

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
I've noticed all these rumours predict launch months which Apple have used in the past such as March, June, September, October, November. Why doesn't anyone predict January, February, May, August or December launches?

Apple stays predictable, they switched it up with the iPhone 4S launch in 2011, and suprising iPad 4 launch this past November, and im sure they have for a few other products, but for the most part, you can tell when a refreshed product is going to be released based on the past.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

They try to stick to yearly cycles and unless there were delays, like with the 2012 iMacs, nothing has launched in those months for some time.

The iPad was a spring release but with the iPad 4/Mini fall launch, that changed, so based on the year cycle,

Apple TV - March
Mac/OSX line - June-July
iOS line - Septemebr-October

Is this the outlook for 2013? No one but Apple knows.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
They try to stick to yearly cycles and unless there were delays, like with the 2012 iMacs, nothing has launched in those months for some time.

The iPad was a spring release but with the iPad 4/Mini fall launch, that changed, so based on the year cycle,

Apple TV - March
Mac/OSX line - June-July
iOS line - Septemebr-October

Is this the outlook for 2013? No one but Apple knows.
I think this makes sense. Apple is struggling with profit margins and the last thing they need is to make a new form factor of the iPad to suck down margins even more with initial manufacturing costs.

Besides, the 4th Gen iPad can't really be added to that much. By fall we could see ac-Wifi, fingerprint scanning, NFC, iPad-mini-like-form and **** though.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
There was a rumor that Apple recognized the fast-paced upgrade cycle in the mobile device market, and that they were going to start to put out upgrades more frequently. It remains to be seen if that's actually going to happen, and how much faster they plan to release upgrades.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Given the shakeup at the top of the iOS team, I could see iOS 7 either being accelerated as transitional update with iOS 8 coming later this year/early next year, or iOS 7 being pushed back to give Ive and co. more time to make some big changes.

Either way, I don't think we can use past cycles to predict 2013 - given Apple's shakeup in 2012 and the increased competition, I see Apple doing some surprising things this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.