Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Anyone know what's wrong and what the solution would be?

Attachments

• IMG_20130124_125852.jpg
    IMG_20130124_125852.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,292

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
If you have ram stick installed, try removing it. Instructions are easy to find if you need them, Google, YouTube etc.

If you have OS X disk, try booting from it and using Disk Utility to repair disk.

Just to make sure, reset Pram and Pmu, smu or whatever it was called on that era. Instructions from Apple website.

Do you know what model iBook G4 you have, year or processor/graphics card model? Different models had different issues, like GPU going bad or Airport connector going bad, from these two it could be the latter. Try booting in safe mode, power up and press Shift -key and keep pressed.

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
All I know is that it's a 14 inch iBook G4 from 2003. I haven't used it in a while so I can't quite remember the CPU/GPU or amount of RAM I installed.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
All I know is that it's a 14 inch iBook G4 from 2003. I haven't used it in a while so I can't quite remember the CPU/GPU or amount of RAM I installed.

Have you changed nothing? You can not remember anything about when it last worked?

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
I haven't changed anything, although I remember replacing the battery. Nothing else has been changed as far as I can remember.

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
What are you doing before you get the kernel panic?

I'm just hitting the power button to turn it on. I can't even get to the log-in screen

----------

It happens every time I turn it on. I don't have an opportunity to restart

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It is time to get a new RAM. Don't worry, the OS and hard drive are fine. I've been there :(

Not necessarily. By latest count, there are ~5 gazillion other things that can cause a kernel panic. However, RAM is the most likely to cause it.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Not necessarily. By latest count, there are ~5 gazillion other things that can cause a kernel panic.

Agreed. I just had (in december) one week of tracking down a recurring kernel panic caused by Tiger freaking out over the WLAN my Time Capsule offered it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2248347?start=0&tstart=0

OP, this is probably not the source of your problems as you do not even get as far as logging on.

In case you do not want to read the whole FAQ I linked, try these three steps:
1) Remove extra memory chip (use ifixit guides).
2) Boot in safe mode.
3) Boot from DVD

If none works then the chances of salvage are slim.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.