Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munstre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I've been patiently setting money aside for a 15" rMBP as I'm simultaneously saving for a move this Spring, and I'm about ready to buy. However, I just noticed last week the Macrumors buyers guide recommendation was: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle."

I know 1st gen macs are a bit buggy, and my only real deterrent was the small SSD which I don't think I'll be springing for the $500 upgrade, but I really want this machine. Any rumors on a larger SSD coming standard on the 2nd gen? Also, any idea when this "end of a cycle" actually is?

Thanks!

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
no rumors have said anything, and no one can say when the next rMBP will be out.
The theories are that it will be out when Hasswell is released.
You should get a 2.5" external HHD with USB 3.0. I have a 750GB external i use for pictures i always have with me.

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
I've been patiently setting money aside for a 15" rMBP as I'm simultaneously saving for a move this Spring, and I'm about ready to buy. However, I just noticed last week the Macrumors buyers guide recommendation was: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle."

I know 1st gen macs are a bit buggy, and my only real deterrent was the small SSD which I don't think I'll be springing for the $500 upgrade, but I really want this machine. Any rumors on a larger SSD coming standard on the 2nd gen? Also, any idea when this "end of a cycle" actually is?

Thanks!

The next release is tied to Intel's Haswell release. Current rumors put a Haswell release around June 1st. Expect a Macbook refresh a month or two later.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The rMBP first came out in the summer time 2012 and I wouldn't expect them to come any sooner in 2013. So I'd wager June or July 2013 we'll see them.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
The rMBP first came out in the summer time 2012 and I wouldn't expect them to come any sooner in 2013. So I'd wager June or July 2013 we'll see them.

I am looking forward to the rMBP refresh as well but everyone seems to be saying that the new Mobile Haswells wont be out till next year? :S

I hope not but thats what ive seen people say.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
the waiting game in the tech world is a evil thing, unless we are talking a couple of months, go ahead and buy, most people seem to agree that its going to be a slight cpu/gpu upgrade and maybe some more storage options. I do not see anything radical happening this summer.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I'm hoping the rMBP will be refreshed in July and will ship with Haswell, OS X 10.9, 802.11ac wifi, and a lower price. I can dream right?!

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
If price is your main factor, then at least if a refresh comes out for the same retail price you should be getting a better machine.

I decided to jump on the Best Buy open box deal as they have massive discounts on the retina macbook pros at this time. My $2199.99 machine was reduced to $1699.99 and then I got 10% off that, out the door price was just shy of $1650! A real deal on a computer that isn't even 9 months old.

I checked my serial number and mine was built in November, the original purchase date was Dec. 29th, 2012. So my warranty is still over 11 months remaining and the thing looks and works brand new. Very happy camper here.

If your budget is tight, check out your local best buy before this weekend!

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
basically i'm always looking for more power for doing my job (3d animation). but from what i've heard, haswell isn't going to bring much to the table in terms of raw speed advancements, especially coming from a 2011 mbp. i generally wait to upgrade till i can get a performance doubling over my previous machine.

anyway, long story short, if you're itching/needing a laptop now, i'd buy now, because you could be waiting 6 months for incremental improvements.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
Haswell should allow for longer battery life, possible lower temperatures during stress (e.g. encoding video). But I'm more interested in terms of possible graphic improvements. If MacBooks are released with a haswell chip supporting GT3 graphics which is being compared to the 650m....will the MacBooks stay with the 650m, drop the discrete GPU, change to a higher performer (e.g. 680mx).

In addition, possible lower price and better options. Think I'm going to wait and find out, but I'm in no big hurry and usually keep my hardware for a while. If I was without or needed something now, I would go for it.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
If price is your main factor, then at least if a refresh comes out for the same retail price you should be getting a better machine.

I decided to jump on the Best Buy open box deal as they have massive discounts on the retina macbook pros at this time. My $2199.99 machine was reduced to $1699.99 and then I got 10% off that, out the door price was just shy of $1650! A real deal on a computer that isn't even 9 months old.

I checked my serial number and mine was built in November, the original purchase date was Dec. 29th, 2012. So my warranty is still over 11 months remaining and the thing looks and works brand new. Very happy camper here.

send in your receipt, and apple will re-adjust the warranty date to when YOU bought it. :) cheers

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Don't call it that. "End of Cycle" traditionally means the technogy is now obsolete, and something else is completely replacing it.

Call it "next updade available in 6 months."

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

$1811 around me :( - not that I need it. :)

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
The next release is tied to Intel's Haswell release. Current rumors put a Haswell release around June 1st. Expect a Macbook refresh a month or two later.

Thank you thank you thank you!

I am so sick of hearing that the Haswell Mac's are coming out the first week of June. Apple has NEVER been that fast. Typically, it's two or three months after the release of a new chip that Apple starts rolling out new models. Intel doesn't exactly have a great track record of releasing on time either.

Personally, I think mid-July will be the EARLIEST you'll be able to get your hands on a Haswell MBP. I don't think even as late as October is unreasonable (based on both Intel AND Apple being on the later end of their release track record). Though most likely release Window, IMO, is mid-July to mid-September.

So, OP, if do just what it says. If you need it, buy it! It'll still work 6 or 8 months from now.

But, 6 months from now Intel is going to be releasing a new chip (based on leaked timelines by the way, I don't think they've actually announced a release so far), and Apple will have it in the rMBP within a couple months beyond that, so that's where we are!

I'm not losing any sleep over buying a MBP a few weeks ago. 6 months from now I'm only a year away from Broadwell! It gets Silly. Tech moves, what you've got is gonna be outdated. Just buy what you need and upgrade when you're ready. Haswell is going to be pretty incremental honestly. Intel said the focus is power consumption, not necessarily performance. So perhaps a bump in battery life (or if Apple chooses, a slight reduction in weight if they use the juice-equity nabbed in the new lower power chips to shave the battery a bit smaller and still keep 7 hours of battery life), though a significant bump in performance (like HD3000 to HD4000 graphics or Intel Core 2 to i5/i7) is not likely this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.