Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
enigma2k
macrumors regular

iPad Mini Wifi - delayed push notifications

Hi,

Is it normal that push notifications on the iPad Mini Wifi are delayed? Sometimes for several minutes compared to the iPhone.

I've also noticed that when the iPad is locked and I press the home button, the WIFI connection is not there. It takes about 1 second till it appears.

It seems that while the iPad is locked, it has no constant Wifi connection but only connects in intervals to see if there are any notifications.
While the iPad is plugged in, on the other hand, it has a constant connection to the Wifi.

Anybody else experiencing this?
enigma2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Stewart21
macrumors regular

No, I find that push notifications appear on my iPad Mini much faster than on MBA and iMacs.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
darkcoupon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
Hi,

Is it normal that push notifications on the iPad Mini Wifi are delayed? Sometimes for several minutes compared to the iPhone.

I've also noticed that when the iPad is locked and I press the home button, the WIFI connection is not there. It takes about 1 second till it appears.

It seems that while the iPad is locked, it has no constant Wifi connection but only connects in intervals to see if there are any notifications.
While the iPad is plugged in, on the other hand, it has a constant connection to the Wifi.

Anybody else experiencing this?
I've noticed that push notifications have been a little spotty on my iPad Mini as well. Sometimes they don't even show up, and iMessage seems to be doing the same thing. Doesn't bother me too much because I use my phone for messaging more than my iPad, but I could see where it can be an issue for some.

The WIFI connection is pretty normal. Most iOS devices deactivate WIFI when they're in sleep mode to save battery power.
darkcoupon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcoupon View Post

The WIFI connection is pretty normal. Most iOS devices deactivate WIFI when they're in sleep mode to save battery power.
Not true. On all my iPads, the wifi connection has been persistent, and notifications will come in even if the screen has been off for hours.

If its not persistent, do a Network Reset on the iPad. When I first received my iPad mini, I has the same issue (non-persistent wifi when the screen was asleep). Network Reset fixed it. Note that you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords. Nothing else is erased.

*the iPhone 5 seems, so far, to be the exception in that it turns wifi off - or at least stops displaying the wifi icon - when asleep as I can see it pop back "on" upon waking the phone. However, all iPads and the iPhone 4/4S should have persistent wifi.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:43 AM   #5
enigma2k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Not true. On all my iPads, the wifi connection has been persistent, and notifications will come in even if the screen has been off for hours.

If its not persistent, do a Network Reset on the iPad. When I first received my iPad mini, I has the same issue (non-persistent wifi when the screen was asleep). Network Reset fixed it. Note that you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords. Nothing else is erased.

*the iPhone 5 seems, so far, to be the exception in that it turns wifi off - or at least stops displaying the wifi icon - when asleep as I can see it pop back "on" upon waking the phone. However, all iPads and the iPhone 4/4S should have persistent wifi.
I've already done several network resets with no results. Are you sure your iPads are Wifi only?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Stewart21
macrumors regular

Quote:
I've already done several network resets with no results. Are you sure your iPads are Wifi only?
Yes, WiFi only. My wife's iPad Mini (WiFi) works exactly the same as mine.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:03 AM   #7
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

I get the same issue with my iPad Mini, a couple minutes delayed compared to my iPad, but my iPad is on iOS 6.1b4 and the Mini's on 6.0.2 so might be something to do with that.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:16 AM   #8
enigma2k
macrumors regular

I've solved the issue now. Resetting the network settings didn't help but what helped is even simpler: turning off the iPad and on again.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:41 AM   #9
emjaycee18
macrumors regular

I've noticed that my iPad mini gets push notifications a couple seconds faster than my iPhone when they are on the same network.
emjaycee18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Yes. Quite sure.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad