Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
enigma2k
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
iPad Mini Wifi - delayed push notifications

Hi,

Is it normal that push notifications on the iPad Mini Wifi are delayed? Sometimes for several minutes compared to the iPhone.

I've also noticed that when the iPad is locked and I press the home button, the WIFI connection is not there. It takes about 1 second till it appears.

It seems that while the iPad is locked, it has no constant Wifi connection but only connects in intervals to see if there are any notifications.
While the iPad is plugged in, on the other hand, it has a constant connection to the Wifi.

Anybody else experiencing this?
enigma2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Stewart21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Yorkshire
No, I find that push notifications appear on my iPad Mini much faster than on MBA and iMacs.
__________________
20" iMac 2007 2GHZ C2D 4GB RAM 250GB & 2011 13' MBA 1.7GHz i5 4GB 128SSD. Both OSX Mavericks. iPad Mini 32GB WiFi Black/Slate. ATV3.
Stewart21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
darkcoupon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
Hi,

Is it normal that push notifications on the iPad Mini Wifi are delayed? Sometimes for several minutes compared to the iPhone.

I've also noticed that when the iPad is locked and I press the home button, the WIFI connection is not there. It takes about 1 second till it appears.

It seems that while the iPad is locked, it has no constant Wifi connection but only connects in intervals to see if there are any notifications.
While the iPad is plugged in, on the other hand, it has a constant connection to the Wifi.

Anybody else experiencing this?
I've noticed that push notifications have been a little spotty on my iPad Mini as well. Sometimes they don't even show up, and iMessage seems to be doing the same thing. Doesn't bother me too much because I use my phone for messaging more than my iPad, but I could see where it can be an issue for some.

The WIFI connection is pretty normal. Most iOS devices deactivate WIFI when they're in sleep mode to save battery power.
darkcoupon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcoupon View Post

The WIFI connection is pretty normal. Most iOS devices deactivate WIFI when they're in sleep mode to save battery power.
Not true. On all my iPads, the wifi connection has been persistent, and notifications will come in even if the screen has been off for hours.

If its not persistent, do a Network Reset on the iPad. When I first received my iPad mini, I has the same issue (non-persistent wifi when the screen was asleep). Network Reset fixed it. Note that you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords. Nothing else is erased.

*the iPhone 5 seems, so far, to be the exception in that it turns wifi off - or at least stops displaying the wifi icon - when asleep as I can see it pop back "on" upon waking the phone. However, all iPads and the iPhone 4/4S should have persistent wifi.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display iPhone 6 Plus
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:43 AM   #5
enigma2k
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Not true. On all my iPads, the wifi connection has been persistent, and notifications will come in even if the screen has been off for hours.

If its not persistent, do a Network Reset on the iPad. When I first received my iPad mini, I has the same issue (non-persistent wifi when the screen was asleep). Network Reset fixed it. Note that you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords. Nothing else is erased.

*the iPhone 5 seems, so far, to be the exception in that it turns wifi off - or at least stops displaying the wifi icon - when asleep as I can see it pop back "on" upon waking the phone. However, all iPads and the iPhone 4/4S should have persistent wifi.
I've already done several network resets with no results. Are you sure your iPads are Wifi only?
enigma2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Stewart21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
I've already done several network resets with no results. Are you sure your iPads are Wifi only?
Yes, WiFi only. My wife's iPad Mini (WiFi) works exactly the same as mine.
__________________
20" iMac 2007 2GHZ C2D 4GB RAM 250GB & 2011 13' MBA 1.7GHz i5 4GB 128SSD. Both OSX Mavericks. iPad Mini 32GB WiFi Black/Slate. ATV3.
Stewart21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:03 AM   #7
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: iLondon/iDurban
I get the same issue with my iPad Mini, a couple minutes delayed compared to my iPad, but my iPad is on iOS 6.1b4 and the Mini's on 6.0.2 so might be something to do with that.
__________________
Mac Mini i7 2012 - 13" MBP 2012 - iPhone 5 - iPod Shuffle - iPad Air - iPod Classic - ATV 2
LaunchpadBS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:16 AM   #8
enigma2k
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
I've solved the issue now. Resetting the network settings didn't help but what helped is even simpler: turning off the iPad and on again.
enigma2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:41 AM   #9
emjaycee18
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I've noticed that my iPad mini gets push notifications a couple seconds faster than my iPhone when they are on the same network.
emjaycee18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
I've already done several network resets with no results. Are you sure your iPads are Wifi only?
Yes. Quite sure.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display iPhone 6 Plus
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5c delayed push notifications BinfordsTool iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Nov 19, 2013 08:53 PM
iPad: safari push notifications on ipad, iphones rick88 iPad 3 Nov 17, 2013 09:57 PM
AP Mobile - double notifications - clusters of delayed notifications Gomer iOS 6 0 Apr 16, 2013 09:45 PM
Receiving Push notifications when wifi is off KatApple iPod touch 1 Mar 21, 2013 05:39 AM
Facebook push notifications on ios 6 only work for iPad, not my iPhone mentaluproar iOS 6 4 Oct 30, 2012 04:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC