Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Newjackboy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Why don't Apple allow XBMC on App store?

What is the official reason for not allowing XBMC on the app store?

Have developers attempted to submit it?
Newjackboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Newjackboy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Anyone know the official reason?
Newjackboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
Anyone know the official reason?
When XBMC was originally developed for iOS, it was done using APIs that Apple doesn't allow developers to use.

That means that if it was submitted in its current form, it'd be automatically rejected by Apple.

By not working within the App Store ecosystem, the developers aren't as restricted in what they can do.

As an open-source project, development is driven by the community, and it seems that they're content with just making it available on jailbroken devices. Making it suitable for submission to the App Store would take additional work and could mean that they'd have to drop features.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
thehustleman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
When XBMC was originally developed for iOS, it was done using APIs that Apple doesn't allow developers to use.

That means that if it was submitted in its current form, it'd be automatically rejected by Apple.

By not working within the App Store ecosystem, the developers aren't as restricted in what they can do.

As an open-source project, development is driven by the community, and it seems that they're content with just making it available on jailbroken devices. Making it suitable for submission to the App Store would take additional work and could mean that they'd have to drop features.
Apple users typically don't mind losing features. Should have at least made "XBMC light"
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Maybe apple would be a better recipient for your question as anything any one here says will be pure scatologic information.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Maybe apple would be a better recipient for your question as anything any one here says will be pure scatologic information.
What makes you say that?

My post was pure fact.

The XBMC developers have clearly stated that they make heavy use of non-public APIs, and any "idiot in a hurry" knows that the App Store Guidelines state:


2.5
Apps that use non-public APIs will be rejected
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
MVallee
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Use Plex. Its based on XBMC, and it works now on both Windows and Mac. Plus they have an excellent iOS app.

I have a Mac Mini running Plex and watch stuff on my iPhone and iPad all the time. Love it.
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Air Video works great for me for watching stuff on my phone.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
pat park
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Maybe apple would be a better recipient for your question as anything any one here says will be pure scatologic information.
Non public API's, no App Store submission. No point in talking with Apple. No point in this thread.
__________________
pat park is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:00 AM   #10
John Adams
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX USA
"Why don't Apple"?
__________________
Late 2012 13" Macbook Pro Retina
iPhone 5S, 64gb, Verizon
iPad 4, 16gb, Verizon
John Adams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:15 AM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
I guess I don't see what, exactly, about xbmc on iOS requires the use of non public API's. but then again, I don't develope, so I have only a basic understanding of what it takes. Sure would be nice to have in the AppStore, but in happy it's at least available via jailbreak.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
What makes you say that?

My post was pure fact.

The XBMC developers have clearly stated that they make heavy use of non-public APIs, and any "idiot in a hurry" knows that the App Store Guidelines state:


2.5
Apps that use non-public APIs will be rejected
Unless you're sitting in the room when apple discussed this issue you have no clue. You can speculate, and that speculation may be right but that's all it is in the long run.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:45 AM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Unless you're sitting in the room when apple discussed this issue you have no clue. You can speculate, and that speculation may be right but that's all it is in the long run.
Nobody is speculating. Apple will not allow apps that use APIs that hey don't personally real ease for use. The devs use these APIs by their own admission. In short, as it currently exists, it violated Apple's terms. As such, Apple won't let the app through the AppStore. There is no need to "sit in the room when Apple discusses the issue".
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Unless you're sitting in the room when apple discussed this issue you have no clue. You can speculate, and that speculation may be right but that's all it is in the long run.
You don't seem to understand that Apple instantly rejects Apps which use private APIs. They wouldn't ever have a discussion about it, because they run an automated tool to block any app submission that uses the undocumented APIs.

If you're going to make hostile posts, you need to make sure that they're backed up with research!

Last edited by Daveoc64; Jun 3, 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:34 AM   #15
pat park
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Unless you're sitting in the room when apple discussed this issue you have no clue. You can speculate, and that speculation may be right but that's all it is in the long run.
LOL. Unauthorized API's cannot be used in any app that wants to be sold thru the App store. I am really surprised you don't know that. You seem to spend a lot of time here and have some knowledge about iOS and Apple in general. Surprised to see you do not understand the API thing.
__________________
pat park is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens when you don't read the fine prints on App Store veruska Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Feb 16, 2014 02:15 AM
I don't have the app store dibsonme Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Dec 16, 2013 09:46 AM
App that I don't own continuously shows up in app store for update. CoolMacDude OS X Mavericks (10.9) 8 Nov 8, 2013 04:53 PM
Why don't they allow videos in the App Store? johnbro23 iOS 7 5 Oct 15, 2013 12:59 AM
'Apple Store' iOS App Update Coming Tuesday with Free iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore Deals MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 77 Jul 31, 2013 03:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC