Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Newjackboy
macrumors member

Why don't Apple allow XBMC on App store?

What is the official reason for not allowing XBMC on the app store?

Have developers attempted to submit it?
Newjackboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Newjackboy
macrumors member

Anyone know the official reason?
Newjackboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
Anyone know the official reason?
When XBMC was originally developed for iOS, it was done using APIs that Apple doesn't allow developers to use.

That means that if it was submitted in its current form, it'd be automatically rejected by Apple.

By not working within the App Store ecosystem, the developers aren't as restricted in what they can do.

As an open-source project, development is driven by the community, and it seems that they're content with just making it available on jailbroken devices. Making it suitable for submission to the App Store would take additional work and could mean that they'd have to drop features.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
When XBMC was originally developed for iOS, it was done using APIs that Apple doesn't allow developers to use.

That means that if it was submitted in its current form, it'd be automatically rejected by Apple.

By not working within the App Store ecosystem, the developers aren't as restricted in what they can do.

As an open-source project, development is driven by the community, and it seems that they're content with just making it available on jailbroken devices. Making it suitable for submission to the App Store would take additional work and could mean that they'd have to drop features.
Apple users typically don't mind losing features. Should have at least made "XBMC light"
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Maybe apple would be a better recipient for your question as anything any one here says will be pure scatologic information.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Maybe apple would be a better recipient for your question as anything any one here says will be pure scatologic information.
What makes you say that?

My post was pure fact.

The XBMC developers have clearly stated that they make heavy use of non-public APIs, and any "idiot in a hurry" knows that the App Store Guidelines state:

Apps that use non-public APIs will be rejected
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
MVallee
macrumors 6502a

Use Plex. Its based on XBMC, and it works now on both Windows and Mac. Plus they have an excellent iOS app.

I have a Mac Mini running Plex and watch stuff on my iPhone and iPad all the time. Love it.
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Air Video works great for me for watching stuff on my phone.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
pat park
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Non public API's, no App Store submission. No point in talking with Apple. No point in this thread.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:00 AM   #10
John Adams
macrumors regular

"Why don't Apple"?
John Adams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:15 AM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I guess I don't see what, exactly, about xbmc on iOS requires the use of non public API's. but then again, I don't develope, so I have only a basic understanding of what it takes. Sure would be nice to have in the AppStore, but in happy it's at least available via jailbreak.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
What makes you say that?

My post was pure fact.

The XBMC developers have clearly stated that they make heavy use of non-public APIs, and any "idiot in a hurry" knows that the App Store Guidelines state:

Apps that use non-public APIs will be rejected
Unless you're sitting in the room when apple discussed this issue you have no clue. You can speculate, and that speculation may be right but that's all it is in the long run.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:45 AM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Unless you're sitting in the room when apple discussed this issue you have no clue. You can speculate, and that speculation may be right but that's all it is in the long run.
Nobody is speculating. Apple will not allow apps that use APIs that hey don't personally real ease for use. The devs use these APIs by their own admission. In short, as it currently exists, it violated Apple's terms. As such, Apple won't let the app through the AppStore. There is no need to "sit in the room when Apple discusses the issue".
Old Jun 3, 2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
You don't seem to understand that Apple instantly rejects Apps which use private APIs. They wouldn't ever have a discussion about it, because they run an automated tool to block any app submission that uses the undocumented APIs.

If you're going to make hostile posts, you need to make sure that they're backed up with research!

Last edited by Daveoc64; Jun 3, 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:34 AM   #15
pat park
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
LOL. Unauthorized API's cannot be used in any app that wants to be sold thru the App store. I am really surprised you don't know that. You seem to spend a lot of time here and have some knowledge about iOS and Apple in general. Surprised to see you do not understand the API thing.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone