Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

The evolution of the iPad

So, one main excuse Yahoo Financial is using why people are dumping Apple stock today is the lack of innovation, just incremental steps in their line up.

What are some thoughts on where the iPad can go from its current state to be considered cutting edge once again?

My suggestion: Make a iPad Pro line, it would be a fully functioning iPad with Retina Display. One thing of difference, however, is that it would run Mac OSX instead of iOS. You could dock it with a keyboard dock (ie. Asus transformer or even Microsoft Surface Pro) which would have a track pad, full keyboard, sd slot, usb slots and extend the battery to 20+ hours! With the iPad Pro docked and in closed position, it would be no thicker than the 11.6" Air.

In fact, I'd propose this iPad Pro replace the Air 11.6" altogether in form, function and take its entry level macbook price.

To get away from "Pro" moniker to not be confused with Microsoft, they could call it the iPad Air or something?

Last edited by mpayne2k; Jan 24, 2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling errors
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular

So you're suggesting creating an Apple style Surface?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Right, basically merge the high end iPad Retina (64gb) with the low end Air.

If they had done this two years ago when the iPad 2 was coming out and split the line up into entry level iPad and iPad HD/Pro/Air, then they'd be considered groundbreaking.

Today, they'll just be considered copy cats, but still wouldn't people want this in a Pro format iPad?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Not a fan. Just buy a dock. Also, iPad mini was extremely successful. The only reason the stock tumbled was due to miscalculated earnings in Q1.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
bandrews
macrumors 6502

No, won't happen. Reason is OSX isn't touch optimised. Win8 has a touch interface and a desktop interface. Everyone I have spoken to about it say it is completely disjointed and feels like two different operating systems. Next you have to think of cooling the unit because its going to get hot. Then there's battery life - you ain't going to get thin AND iPad's legendary battery life.
I don't think this is where the innovation needs to happen. Tim Cook's speech couldn't have hinted more towards TV. I think they're being quite clever - slow the rate of big releases - wait until everyone starts ringing the death bells - then BOOM, hit them with something big.

At least that's what I'm hoping.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

So no one would want a clamshell option for their iPad.

Any other "innovative" thoughts on where this thing is going?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:57 PM   #7
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Its entirely possible based on the rumor of new airs with radical new chip a while back, that Apple could indeed release a 11" touch screen MacBook Air with ARM A7 Quadcore running IOS 7 (if they overhaul it as expected) and 32GB of storage as standard.

Released at a cost of $699-749. ($250 less thn the normal air, and $100-150 above the iPad 32gb) it could find a market.

There are plenty of people slapping down $100 on keyboards for their iPads.

Bundle it with Pages / Keynote and Numbers it would go up well against Windows RT style tablet laptop hybrids.

Battery life would be vastly superior (double or more) to current MacBook Airs and you would have a very tempting hybrid.

Given the push of Windows RT and Atom Windows 8 touch screen laptops, this would offer an Apple solution to consumers whilst giving them an OS that is more tailored to touch than the messy mix of Windows 8 start menu / desktop offered from Microsoft.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:02 PM   #8
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

The main reason I mentioned a touch based mouse system is when using my current set up of iPad and bluetooth keyboard, I don't like the disjointed feeling of having to raise a finger to the propped up screen. I think iOS 7 should offer hardware based keyboard and cursor support.

Last edited by mpayne2k; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: fixed mispellings :-p
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:07 PM   #9
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
The main reason I mentioned a touch based mouse system is when using my current set up of iPad and bluetooth keyboard, I don't like the disjointed feeling of having to raise a finger to the propped up screen. I think iOS 7 should offer hardware based keyboard and curser support.
If they ever did push out an Air with iOS then I imagine it would still support te trackpad with a cursor appearing when detecting input via trackpad.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad