Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:07 PM   #126
JoeNZ
macrumors newbie

The solution to this mess.

Why not instead make the LOCKING of handsets illegal?

And for those that argue that this would make phone companies unable to provide handset subsidies, you still have to pay early termination fee to exit your contract early (effectively paying back the phone subsidy).

Locking handsets in one of the most anti-competitive practices that exists.
JoeNZ is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:10 PM   #127
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Hooray! Another win for corporate lobbyists!

In capitalism, competition ensures the consumers always win.
ThunderSkunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:12 PM   #128
rivertrip
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
You will not find any unlocking service sold on ebay since last week. By legit, you mean it worked and not that it's legal after the law comes into effect.
You are not able to confirm your statement by actually looking at Ebay?
rivertrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:13 PM   #129
achtung!
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
They cant even properly track a stolen phone. How the hell are they going to track unlocked ones?

Btw: I think it's illegal to unlock mobile phones in Portugal, but most shops do it, they just label it as an software upgrade.
but what's really sad in Portugal, is that most consumers don't know that if they bought an unlocked iPhone via apple store (web), it will just about the same price as buying a locked one in a store, locked to a carrier like Vodafone, TMN or Optimus. so it's pretty silly to buy a locked phone in Portugal nowadays.
achtung! is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:15 PM   #130
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
Hooray! Another win for corporate lobbyists!

In capitalism, competition ensures the consumers always win.
Except that government has nothing to do with capitalism. They either prevent corruption or create it. In this case, they are creating it.
ConCat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:15 PM   #131
jay_app
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Actually, this is what government controlled by powerful corporations looks like! I'm all for government run well--by people, not by money. But money talks. Take government out of the picture or shrink it and you'd still have big money--big corporations--running the show. In fact, I'd say a WELL-run powerful government, wielding power by/for all people instead of the rich alone, is the only way to keep unreasonable power away from abusive corporations.

(Sadly, such a government is not what we have. The path to getting one begins, I feel, with a multiple-vote system, thus breaking the stagnant two-party system. Some cities use such a system already. They work!)
Unfortunately its not possible to have a powerful central government be for the people — this country was founded on liberty and the idea that we are self governed. In the history of mankind powerful central governments always lead to tyranny. Big money big corporations among themselves are not the issue since corporation are just a organized groups of people with no authority to take your freedom away — the issue is the power structure between Big money big corporations and our federal government. Its not a structure for the people. The problem is we no longer follow our constitution, the federal government now decides who wins and who losses in every aspect of our lives.

Last edited by jay_app; Jan 25, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
jay_app is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:20 PM   #132
turtlez
Banned

hahahaha, seems like the world did end last year
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:21 PM   #133
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised.....

I thought the existing provision of DMCA that makes circumventing a protection measure illegal would already have made unlocking a phone, in a manner the network don't approve of, illegal.

I would also recommend extreme caution to anyone thinking of ignoring the ruling. The US justice system doesn't exactly operate with rehabilitation in mind.
Internaut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:25 PM   #134
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWil View Post
Pay congress enough money and you can get any law passed.
Spend $4 trillion you don't have and anybody can be President.
Bubba Satori is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:30 PM   #135
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Isn't it an inside job through at&t anyway, meaning at&t can easily eliminate the culprit if they so desire?
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:30 PM   #136
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Yet another law to ignore.
Diseal3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:30 PM   #137
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
I thought the existing provision of DMCA that makes circumventing a protection measure illegal would already have made unlocking a phone, in a manner the network don't approve of, illegal.

I would also recommend extreme caution to anyone thinking of ignoring the ruling. The US justice system doesn't exactly operate with rehabilitation in mind.
What, are they going to throw you in one of America's Hardest Prisons for unlocking your phone?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:33 PM   #138
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

This is one of many things to come..

I hope you all now see the USA's descent into TOTALITARIAN rule by the Communist government of the USA.. This is one of many things to come. Expect more of our freedoms to go by the waste side. I have been unlocking my phones for many years now and this is a direct blow to DEMOCRACY and Freedom.

The USA under the current Communist regime has no right to take our freedoms away.. Who cares if one wants to unlock their own phone for use on another carrier. I say its time for the people to stand up and revolt against this new law.. We need to mobilize massive protests against this decision by our government.

Yes, 1984 is happening all over again.. The US Government has become far too powerful and corrupt.. but this is just what happened in the 1930s when Germany's government went down the toilet.. The same will happen to the US..

People wake up!!! If you think taking our rights to unlocking our phones for use on another carrier is bad, wait until the next few months and years.. Yes, things are going to get ugly.

I was not born in America, but I can sense the danger of the current regime in this country.
PowerPCMacMan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:35 PM   #139
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

This is what I consider big government, regardless of this actually being enforceable.

This is what happens when you don't participate in your government people and give it away to these very corporations that lobby for these anti-consumer laws. We in the United States have the best government that money can buy by these corny capitalists.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:37 PM   #140
saud0488
Banned

The wording of the ruling is iffy, at best.

How will they determine whether an iPhone or any other phone for that matter, is on contract? Isn't that the only phones that they look to ban from unlocking? That is, phones that are STILL under contract.

It seems the unlock services will stay around to unlock phones since it's likely that most of their unlock requests are for phones that are not under contract. Besides, AT&T before wouldn't unlock phones out of contract but that was pretty easy to get around for those who knew how.

I feel this is aimed more at unauthorized unlocking such as hardware or software mods, since you know, that language is specifically stated in the ruling.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Isn't it an inside job through at&t anyway, meaning at&t can easily eliminate the culprit if they so desire?
Unlocking of iPhones? I think that's done at apple through requests from carriers.
saud0488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:44 PM   #141
jeff051177
macrumors newbie

way to take a big step backwards US!

As somebody else posted - you're in contract, so you have to pay the carrier, why do they care if you unlock your phone.... and MORE IMPORTANTLY why is corporate bribery of this sort tolerated? Oh sorry, you call it "lobbying" don't you.
jeff051177 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:44 PM   #142
DJsteveSD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
Does ATT offer discounted cell/data plans if you already own your unlocked phone? (that is, do they offer subsidized and un-subsidized plans at different prices?)
no they don't, you still have to pay the same crappy rates as the subsidized phones.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:44 PM   #143
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
What, are they going to throw you in one of America's Hardest Prisons for unlocking your phone?

You'd be surprised what you can get thrown into prison for here in the USA. I was listening to a story earlier today where a woman was thrown into prison for having the wrong last name, looking like she was of middle-eastern decent, and sitting next to two middle-eastern looking people on a plane. All the while, she was simply headed home to her middle-class life to her twin children from a trip to visit family on the other side of the country.

Since 9/11 and the passage of the so-called Patriot Act, which actually restricted the freedoms of the citizens of the USA, our country has gone deep into the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
I hope you all now see the USA's descent into TOTALITARIAN rule by the Communist government of the USA.. This is one of many things to come. Expect more of our freedoms to go by the waste side. I have been unlocking my phones for many years now and this is a direct blow to DEMOCRACY and Freedom.

The USA under the current Communist regime has no right to take our freedoms away.. Who cares if one wants to unlock their own phone for use on another carrier. I say its time for the people to stand up and revolt against this new law.. We need to mobilize massive protests against this decision by our government.

Yes, 1984 is happening all over again.. The US Government has become far too powerful and corrupt.. but this is just what happened in the 1930s when Germany's government went down the toilet.. The same will happen to the US..

People wake up!!! If you think taking our rights to unlocking our phones for use on another carrier is bad, wait until the next few months and years.. Yes, things are going to get ugly.

I was not born in America, but I can sense the danger of the current regime in this country.

Fascists, oligarchs, and hard-right crazies have taken over our country. It's the minority that is telling the majority what to do these day.
iMikeT is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:45 PM   #144
iphoneclassic
macrumors 6502

Geart, lobbying always pays off.
iphoneclassic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:46 PM   #145
Eso
macrumors 68000

This is ********!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:52 PM   #146
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Haha, what a backwards country.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:55 PM   #147
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502

Anybody still planning on trying to get an online unlock before they disappear?
For $4-10 I always wanted to bite the bullet, but trying to find a legit one after they went down on eBay and now the legal issues, I don't know if it's worth it.
moldy lunchbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:56 PM   #148
Vasilioskn
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Vasilioskn
I'm so glad they have their priorities straight. All these unlocked phones KILL PEOPLE.
Vasilioskn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #149
gertruded
macrumors regular

"Fascists, oligarchs, and hard-right crazies have taken over our country. It's the minority that is telling the majority what to do these day."

This!!!!!!
gertruded is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:05 PM   #150
itsmeok
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
This is what I consider big government, regardless of this actually being enforceable.

This is what happens when you don't participate in your government people and give it away to these very corporations that lobby for these anti-consumer laws. We in the United States have the best government that money can buy by these corny capitalists.
Yes, we are going back, one step at a time.

Whats the next step? We want to contractually tie the car manufacturers to gas station brands, i.e., you can get a subsidized Toyota if you sign a 5-year contract with Shell. If you have a Toyota and buy gas from Chevron, you will be arrested.
itsmeok is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion