Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:12 PM   #26
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyriley View Post
The point of it would be to protect the screen when not in use and used as a kick stand. The sleep when closed feature is the least desired out of the three.

That looks really awesome! I just send apple feedback on the iPhone and said I would like to see a Smart Cover for it. Like I said you did a really good job making that look good.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Have fun trying to take a quick photo with a flip case! Flip it open, wrap it around the back and oops, it's blocking the camera. Or hold the cover out with one hand, and trying holding and taking pic with the other.
Good point have not thought about that. But I think that could be worked out.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:16 PM   #27
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
That looks really awesome! I just send apple feedback on the iPhone and said I would like to see a Smart Cover for it. Like I said you did a really good job making that look good.

----------

Good point have not thought about that. But I think that could be worked out.
It could work if the cover was quickly detachable, instead of just a wrap. Not sure if that would require magnets on the case.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:35 PM   #28
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

There is going to be a iPhone case/cover coming from apple that's supposedly going to turn the entire case market upside down.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:40 PM   #29
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Have fun trying to take a quick photo with a flip case! Flip it open, wrap it around the back and oops, it's blocking the camera. Or hold the cover out with one hand, and trying holding and taking pic with the other.

All you would have to do is fold one half of the Smart Cover over..

Or just detach it. Man someone really needs to make this for the 4/4S. Idk about the 5 because it doesn't stick to it like it does on the 4/4S.
Shadyriley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:50 PM   #30
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:

Or just detach it. Man someone really needs to make this for the 4/4S. Idk about the 5 because it doesn't stick to it like it does on the 4/4S.
That would work for using the camera.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
There is going to be a iPhone case/cover coming from apple that's supposedly going to turn the entire case market upside down.
I have heard nothing about this. It would be great if they did.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That would work for using the camera.
My point exactly
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:20 PM   #32
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The point of it would be to protect the screen when not in use and used as a kick stand. The sleep when closed feature is the least desired out of the three.

No actually, that's kinda the poin of the "smart" cover.....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:46 AM   #33
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

If they ever come out with one, I will buy.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:43 AM   #34
chambone
macrumors 6502a

magnetic mat case

the case industry is way ahead of y'all
chambone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:51 AM   #35
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

I prefer to have my phone with as little casing as possible. I have a rigid silicone case on my iP5 that I bought from Tesco for £6 and it barely looks like the phone as a cover on it, being completely clear. I also have a decent screen protector too. Can't be fiddling around with flip cases I'm afraid.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:55 AM   #36
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambone View Post
magnetic mat case

They all look like crap, plus they are cases, not smart covers.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:04 AM   #37
Mac7
macrumors 6502a

http://www.spigen.co.kr/shop/detail.php?pno=65684369725BE7C63A49221213A928E6&cno1=1001&rURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spigen.co.kr%2Fshop% 2Fbig_section.php%3Fcno1%3D2203&cafe_id=
Mac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:06 AM   #38
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambone View Post
magnetic mat case

No you are very wrong. All the ones I saw were cases that had a magnetic cover on the back of the case. None of the cover the screen. I am not sure you understand what a Smart Cover is. I know that magnetic technology has been out forever, but apple has not used it for the Smart Cover in the iPhone. I am not saying I or anyone that has posted is saying they came up with something new. I just had an idea for something apple already made just for a different product.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:09 AM   #39
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7 View Post
http://www.spigen.co.kr/shop/detail.php?pno=65684369725BE7C63A49221213A928E6&cno1=1001&rURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spigen.co.kr%2Fshop% 2Fbig_section.php%3Fcno1%3D2203&cafe_id=
Not a smart cover.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:13 AM   #40
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Its going to be an amazing, brand new, revolutionary feature of the iPhone 5S.
Do you currently have an iPhone?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:35 AM   #41
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7 View Post
Yes this is not a Smart Cover also it looks like this is a Korean site. I can't speak Korean so this does not help.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:56 AM   #42
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
http://www.firebox.com/product/5394/TidyTilt

Something like this would be good but for the front and for the iPhone 5.
adztaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:56 AM   #43
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adztaylor View Post
http://www.firebox.com/product/5394/TidyTilt

Something like this would be good but for the front and for the iPhone 5.
I think we will see a lot of these because apple I am sure has the patent for the Smart Cover technology.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:36 AM   #44
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I think we will see a lot of these because apple I am sure has the patent for the Smart Cover technology.
Tidy tilt so retarded IMO, why would you want a Smart Cover on the back of the phone?! And you have to glue a magnetic peace to your phone? YEAH OK. Good luck with that. "Oh but you can stuck your phone on the fridge!" Lmao
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #45
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Tidy tilt so retarded IMO, why would you want a Smart Cover on the back of the phone?! And you have to glue a magnetic peace to your phone? YEAH OK. Good luck with that. "Oh but you can stuck your phone on the fridge!" Lmao
Yea I know what the the purpose. Think companies are trying to sell stuff that may look somewhat the same, but they can't use the Smart Cover technology cause we all know apple would sue the crap out of them.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:07 AM   #46
Number29
macrumors newbie

The problem with a Smart Cover for the iPhone is that they are relatively clumsy and are specifically designed as a means to prop up the device in a viewing or typing angle, which are features that just aren't really necessary for a pocket sized device like the iPhone that is designed to be operated while Nestled in your palm.
Number29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:57 PM   #47
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yea I know what the the purpose. Think companies are trying to sell stuff that may look somewhat the same, but they can't use the Smart Cover technology cause we all know apple would sue the crap out of them.
There are plenty of Smart covers that aren't made by Apple. IDK, licensed, I suppose. But I'm not sure that is necessary, it's just a magnet in the case, no proprietary tech. It's just a feature they have to follow to match up with the iPad, like matching button location. Someone would probably have to license it to put the actual tech side of it in a phone.

I personally don't see the point of what you want for the phone, but it is interesting. I hit one of the buttons as I pick it up, so it's not really an extra motion to me, don't need a case to Wake for me. There are plenty of cases that do everything else that has been mentioned (except the Smart tech, of course), just search for "folio" case.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:02 PM   #48
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
There are plenty of Smart covers that aren't made by Apple. IDK, licensed, I suppose. But I'm not sure that is necessary, it's just a magnet in the case, no proprietary tech. It's just a feature they have to follow to match up with the iPad, like matching button location. Someone would probably have to license it to put the actual tech side of it in a phone.

I personally don't see the point of what you want for the phone, but it is interesting. I hit one of the buttons as I pick it up, so it's not really an extra motion to me, don't need a case to Wake for me. There are plenty of cases that do everything else that has been mentioned (except the Smart tech, of course), just search for "folio" case.
I just like that it does have the magnets and it has a slim fit. The cases that are out are nice, but they don't stay closed unless they have latch or something. Also the apple one is very slim. I don't know maybe it want ever happen I just would not mind seeing it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:18 AM   #49
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I just want to say that this is one nice mock up...

Anywho like the poster up above said its just to clumsy. This is a portable highly use hand held device especially since it has a camera thats highly used.
This is the same reason I loath folio and wallet style cases..
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:31 AM   #50
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
ahhh smart cover on an iphone, ehhh guys you aren't thinking this through.

Think about it, an ipad is not in and out of your pockets all day, a phone is.

Smart cover held on only by...magnets....easily detached....you know much you'd be fussing with it trying to keep it attached to your phone??

Just get an iphone case fellas...
Agreed. A smart cover held on by magnets isn't a great idea. I wouldn't buy one.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone