Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icetech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
So, I sold my iphone 3GS on ebay and decided on resetting the phone for the new owner. Here is exactly what happened

This iphone is IOS 6 and tethered jailbroken. It was off and when i turned it on, I DID NOT BOOT THROUGH REDSNOW, thinking i did not need to since all i needed to do was reset the phone and all shall be good. When i pressed reset, the apple logo came up, then a loading bar and then the loading circle.

As of now: The loading circle is still on my phone.

How do i fix this?

BE AWARE: The power button on this phone is broken and is super super super hard to get it to work. In other words, IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to put this phone into DFU mode.

I already "tried" to put it into DFU mode, unsure if i pressed the home button hard enough or not. I tired to hard reset. I tried the up volume reset trick. Nothing is working. iTunes AND redsnow cannot find the device.

Any help would be awesome!!

Last edited:

icetech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I cant DFU. Also the computer doesnt see the device when i connect it.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Time to refund the buyer and re-sell it as broken/for-parts.

That way you won't have to deal with a chargeback when the buyer can't get the phone to power on or off lol...

A 3GS is no longer worth the trouble unless it's MINT. If it's broken (as this one is), sell it "as-is" and move on.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I cant put it into DFU mode, idk how many times I have to say it.

lol - I was thinking the same thing.

If you haven't seen it already, there is a forum for jailbreaks and hacks. If you can't get what you need here you might get more play over there. Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question.

Oh, and you'll probably get grief for using the term "bricked" if there's something on the display. ;)

Edit: I just Googled and there are some links. Here's one and the only reason I see that Step 10 has you use iTunes is to back it up. Good luck!

Edit #2: Opps. I didn't read far enough. They want you to restore the special .ipsw via iTunes. Sorry.

Last edited:

icetech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Are there anyways to force shutdown the iphone?

Also, if i were to let the iphone die? what should i do after that?

HKSSS

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Repeat what i say: NEVER PRESS THE RESET/ERASE BUTTON A JAILBROKEN IDEVICES.

You've learned your lesson.

I suggest refund the it and sell it as parts OR fix the button and sell it again.

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
you can use redsn0w to get it into dfu mode if you have a non-working button (you install a dfu ipsw i believe).

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
DFU Mode

I cant put it into DFU mode, idk how many times I have to say it.

sorry about that. i was basing my response on the fact that I have on many occasions had to put the phone in DFU when the screen was completely blank.
I would get the phone in DFU mode and then connect it to itunes and do a restore.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
OP are you sure you're trying to get into DFU mode and not just restore mode? They're different things and as far as I know DFU is in the ROM and it's not really possible to **** it up unless you have a hardware fault.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
OP are you sure you're trying to get into DFU mode and not just restore mode? They're different things and as far as I know DFU is in the ROM and it's not really possible to **** it up unless you have a hardware fault.

His sleep button is broken so he can't.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
His sleep button is broken so he can't.

You can try and jump it into DFU from PwnageTool or similar apps.

Or can't he just try pushing the button at the right angle or with the end of a key or something to make it work? My home button's bust but if I push it at a certain angle hard it still works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.