Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urban.spaceman

macrumors member
Original poster
I have recently had my 2 month old iPod Touch 5 thieved (made even more annoying by the fact I had my 3rd gen nicked when I was living in New Zealand 18 months ago) so I'm looking to replace it as soon as possible; however, I was wondering if there's an update coming in September that's worth the wait (i.e. a bit more than new colours etc).

Should I wait or should I be checking eBay?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Based on past updates, the low end model will be updated to the newest design. The 32G and 64G will see very little change if any (colors, etc). If you want a 16G Touch that is the latest model, I might wait till fall (September / October). Otherwise, consider buying a replacement now.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I'd say expect a minor spec bump, maybe. Variations on color, but nothing huge. If I were you, I'd keep an eye out for the refurbs. They should be showing up in the next month or so.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If it doesn't get dropped it will likely get the A6 processor (while the iPhone gets the A7) and the cheaper $199 model will likely get the current generations internals. I remember the days when the iPod touch used to be faster than the iPhone (2008)

urban.spaceman

macrumors member
Original poster
I'd say expect a minor spec bump, maybe. Variations on color, but nothing huge. If I were you, I'd keep an eye out for the refurbs. They should be showing up in the next month or so.

If it doesn't get dropped it will likely get the A6 processor (while the iPhone gets the A7) and the cheaper $199 model will likely get the current generations internals. I remember the days when the iPod touch used to be faster than the iPhone (2008)

Based on past updates, the low end model will be updated to the newest design. The 32G and 64G will see very little change if any (colors, etc). If you want a 16G Touch that is the latest model, I might wait till fall (September / October). Otherwise, consider buying a replacement now.

Thanks for your responses everyone - just bought myself a replacement on eBay. Brand new & sealed 64GB for less than a 32GB! Not my preferred colour but at £242 it's a bloody bargain! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.