Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began a new 'Get Stuff Done' promotional sale, offering discounts on several popular productivity apps.

applegtd.jpg
The sale, which will take place over three weeks, features three categories: Prioritize, Organize, and Utilize. This week's category is Prioritize, and features list making apps like Clear and Things at a deep discount. Here's a full list along with prices:

-Clear: $6.99 down from $9.99 [Direct Link]
-Things: $24.99 down from $49.99 [Direct Link]
-2Do: $14.99 down from $29.99 [Direct Link]
-Due: $4.99 down from $9.99 [Direct Link]
-Todo: $6.99 down from $14.99 [Direct Link]
-TaskPaper: $11.99 down from $24.99 [Direct Link]
-The Hit List: $24.99 down from $49.99 [Direct Link]
-BreakTime: $2.99 down from $4.99 [Direct Link]

The sale on these apps will last from January 24 to January 31. Next week, Apple will feature a new set of apps for sale.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Get Stuff Done' Promotion for Mac App Store

astrobill

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Ok, but....

....will the preceding weeks' sale prices stay up as the remaining weeks' deals are revealed? Also, what if some of the apps in each of the three categories go together? How does a user know in advance if there's a "suite" of apps they should get that work well in a three-app sequence better than other combos???

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
so apples saying there own reminders, calender and notes app wont cut it? Lol
Or, maybe they're saying "our default Apps are pretty good, but if you really want to take one of them to the next level, take a look at these".

Apple can't do everything, (I'm sure they would love to...) but if they did, iOS wouldn't ship every year.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
....will the preceding weeks' sale prices stay up as the remaining weeks' deals are revealed? Also, what if some of the apps in each of the three categories go together? How does a user know in advance if there's a "suite" of apps they should get that work well in a three-app sequence better than other combos???

It does not look like these sales will last longer than one week, so they won't stay on sale when next week's deals appear. Things' app description says the sale ends January 31, as do the app descriptions of some of the other apps on sale.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I remember getting The Hit List with MacHeist a loooong time ago. Pretty good, but I've now replaced it with Firetask, which I got at last year's MacHeist. :D I find it to be a lot nicer, and it has an iPad app, unlike THL.

Looking forward to next week's Organize sale. :D

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

You already gave Apple your money when you bought their product. Now you should buy theses apps so Apple can take their 30% profit.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Well, not explicitly.

I think it is good, though, that apps like these exist at all, and the old thing about "no duplicating existing functionality" has been dropped.

Especially from Apple, historically keen on intentionally limiting features for the sake of simplicity.

----------

I'm about to buy a copy of FCPX to Get Stuff Done. Can I get a 50% discount on that? :D
Well, FCP 7 was sold at $1000. FCP X is sold for $300.

That's a pretty big discount right there, especially considering all of the new features added.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
A "GTD" promotion without OmniFocus? Maybe Apple really is slipping...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Don't you just love selling your stuff in a store where the owner periodically shoves your product out of the way? Sure is tons of fun when Apple picks the winners.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Don't you just love selling your stuff in a store where the owner periodically shoves your product out of the way? Sure is tons of fun when Apple picks the winners.

How is that different than ANY OTHER retail environment?

If you sell a product in a brick and mortar store, there will still be sales, displays, items marked 'best seller' and probably even displays setup with certain products, while other products remain on the shelves, perhaps even covered in dust and behind a pallet jack!

I can't think of any online software store that doesn't do these same sorts of things. What good is it to a customer if the software store just throws all the apps in there willy nilly. Customers want ratings, they want to know what sells well, and they want occasional promotions like this where certain apps are highlighted.

Apple is no different here than any other retail environment.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Nah, they're just saying, "buy some apps so that you can do more stuff! Doesn't matter if they're our apps or not, we make money either way!" :p

Users here are never happy. Apple always promoted third party app, you have choice.

rdvg

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Apple Broke GTD

Apple broke GTD apps by removing the reminders from Calendar. I used to love Things and used the quick entry into iCal from iStat Menus. This is now broken with 10.8.

An usual Apple trick introduce new "features" and deprecating and removing useful ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.