Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
AABirdy
macrumors newbie

Does iMovie create files importable to Dragon

I would like to digitally record meetings and then have the recording transcribed into printable text. It has been suggested that I use iMovie to do the recording (ignoring the video) and Dragon for transcription. From a brief review of the files produced by iMovie I do not see any formats that Dragon could import, thus iMovie is IMJ not appropriate for this purpose; I would need sw dedicated to audio recording.
AABirdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Which formats are suitable for Dragon? You could always Share from iMovie to Garageband, which splits the video and audio, delete the video and then Share the audio to iTunes.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:36 AM   #3
James Craner
macrumors 68000

I have not used the product, but you probably need MacSpeech Scribe, as that is designed to be used with Audio Media. One problem is all of the dragon products including MacSpeech scribe are designed to be used with one voice at a time, as the software uses a leaning mode to fine tune the audio / text conversion. They do specifically say that all their products do not work that well to transcribe meetings were more than one person is speaking. If you only need to capture audio you are better off using garageband rather than iMovie. Garageband can output in a variety of audio formats.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store