Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Roku 2 and Mac Mini?

Does anyone here use a Roku as an interface with their Mac media server and how does it work for you?
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:22 AM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

for using plex it works great.

if you've got content purchased from the iTunes store, it won't work at all.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:22 AM   #3
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
for using plex it works great.

if you've got content purchased from the iTunes store, it won't work at all.
Thanks for the info. I don't watch anything from the iTunes store. I'm just more concerned with my own mkv and mp4, mp3, and a couple of other formats that I think Roku by itself won't play. Also, if I just plug the Roku into the same airport extreme that the mini is plugged into, I'm guessing that Roku will be able to stream the content from the mini (via Plex) directly through the ethernet connection without wifi .... is that right?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
davidg4781
macrumors 65816

Sorry, just to clarify, plex won't play content purchased from the iTunes store?

Don't mean to hijack or anything.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:58 AM   #5
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Also, from what i've just read in the Plex forums, Roku can have issues with playing back MKV files with 5.1 audio. It apparently has Plex transcode the file and certain people have to tell Roku to kick it down to 2.1 in order to get it to stream properly. It's something they're working on but it does appear to be a problem of sorts.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:46 PM   #6
waw74
macrumors 68020

the top of the line roku ($99) is the only one with an ethernet port. so if you get that one, you don't need wifi

I use the roku with stereo speakers, so don't use 5.1 with it.
I have tried it in the past with the roku in the living room, and i did get 5.1, but not too extensive of testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
Sorry, just to clarify, plex won't play content purchased from the iTunes store?

Plex will not play videos purchased from iTunes, not sure about audio, and what kind of DRM apple is including now.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #7
DAMAC3
macrumors regular

I just tried out the Roku 2 XS. I also have a 2012 Mac Mini. They work fairly well together when using PLEX. I prefer Plex on the hacked Apple TV 2 better, but Roku would be my 2nd choice over any of the other devices that are out there (including Google TV).

I don't have a 5.1 setup anymore. I was just using my TV as the audio source. You need to plan on the Roku needing a lot of your files transcoded by your Plex Server (Mac Mini), so your Mini better at least be a Core2Duo 2.4GHZ 4GB RAM model. The transcoding still looks good IMO. As I said, the Roku makes a decent Plex front end device.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
2crazy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
Does anyone here use a Roku as an interface with their Mac media server and how does it work for you?
You might be better off connecting your mini directly to your TV and use Plex directly or XBMC.
2crazy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:06 PM   #9
mrrippey
macrumors regular

Have mini, ATV2 and Roku...experiences

Having all of the mentioned hardware, here is my experience

mini (2011) has 8GB RAM and when I am watch either ATV2 (hacked) or Roku, nothing else is running (not even screen saver). FiOS router (strictly on N network, isolated channel but likely the bottleneck in things)...

try to run any high def file (anything blueray ripped) and it usually studders on both Roku (I have two) and ATV2 (I have two)

standard def files run fine, can run and I can stream to two TV's without issue

MKV and mp4 files are hit and miss on Roku (even when connected via USB using USB Channel)

using mini direct to the TV is best (but you only can watch on that TV), I have three TV's

Plex clients are not consistant. Can watch on the mini but not watch on the Roku (same file via USB) and streaming buffers alot

Rippey

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater