Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since Apple sent out media invitations for a special announcement on October 12th, the rumor mill has been buzzing. There have been reports of a video iPod, an Airport Express with Video, as well as PowerMac and Powerbook updates.

ThinkSecret amends their earlier PowerMac/Powerbook rumor report with some further details of the upcoming media event.

According to the rumor site, Apple will be delivering an iPod update alongside Pro Mac updates... but ThinkSecret reports that Apple will not be delivering a Video-capable iPod. This is contrary to a recent claim by Appleinsider.

The new iPod will boost storage capacity to 80GB as well as what appears to be minor cosmetic and interface changes. ThinkSecret maintains that there will be no Video iPod, which is in concordance with historic comments by Steve Jobs.

Meanwhile, PowerMac and Powerbook updates are still expected but details are still limited.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Maybe they'll be updating all their hard drive-based iPods so that they have video functionality. So there wouldn't be an actual iPod video release. Just new iPods with that function built in.

Okay, I'm just hungry. Forget it. :D

Squire

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i'll trust thinksecret over appleinsider any day. yes on the PB and PM updates. yes on a potential increase in capacity on the ipod. NO to the video ipod or all things video. not gonna happen

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Finally, the 80gb iPod I've been waiting for... although I will continue to wait until the price drops as it always does after 6 months or so. Be interesting to also see if they've fixed those distortion problems in the earlier Photos...

I will continue to suffer with the burden of my 4th 40gb iPod. ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Squire said:
Maybe they'll be updating all their hard drive-based iPods so that they have video functionality. So there wouldn't be an actual iPod video release. Just new iPods with that function built in.

Uhh yeah, or not :p

This is interesting... No bluetooth in the iPod, and no video playback.. What are they planning on doing to make it worth an update?

The new PowerMacs with DDR2 are gonna make me jealous though :(

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i wander if the new ipods will come in black......

as for the above poster, wtf?

trailblazer

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2004
bluetooth would be terrible in an iPod.. such small thoroughput.. no good for transfers... headphones and remote controls might be ok, but headphones = no wires = harder to hang on to! and then theres batteries...

llapgoch

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2005
Why the media invitations

If it's such a seemingly insignifigant update to the iPod then why is there a media invite - why not just update the product and announce it on the website?

I don't see the relevance of hosting this gathering if it's just a capacity increase and / or minor cosmetic changes.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
llapgoch said:
I don't see the relevance of hosting this gathering if it's just a capacity increase and / or minor cosmetic changes.

Neither do I but video is OBVIOUSLY not going to happen... you only have to read the over confident posts of some people on here to see that.

Maybe they'll be announcing Pro iPods... aluminium, huge capacity.. erm... no video.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
nomad01 said:
Neither do I but video is OBVIOUSLY not going to happen... you only have to read the over confident posts of some people on here to see that.

Maybe they'll be announcing Pro iPods... aluminium, huge capacity.. erm... no video.

hehe, Pro iPods... toroidal transformer, audio optical out, midi interface, 64 track playback, hmm, Organic LED Screen, biometric security, fuel cell, etc... :D

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Is everyone still forgetting the damn red movie curtain and no updates to the videos on iTunes? There has to be something movie related or video related whether it's an iPod, or some new feature or something on the iTunes store. And the invite indicates it's something special you would think, he never says that catch phrase unless he's showing something to wow you.

odd-eyo

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2005
many of us make a living with a PM or PB .... ` could not care about iPod and holly-rocks...

up-grade(s)!?

:rolleyes:

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
llapgoch said:
If it's such a seemingly insignifigant update to the iPod then why is there a media invite - why not just update the product and announce it on the website?

I'm with you. Unless the form factor is a radical departure from the current model. The move to the iPod photo got a media event. The nano got one. The shuffle was introduced at MWSF. When else have they had an event for a simple upgrade? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Squire

odd-eyo

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2005
zv470 said:
hehe, Pro iPods... toroidal transformer, audio optical out, midi interface, 64 track playback, hmm, Organic LED Screen, biometric security, fuel cell, etc... :D

good one...

that IS 64 in/out correct?
perhaps ill-logic and a (i)breakout box too?

I want a PB with......... --> more power. NOW!

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
odd-eyo said:
many of us make a living with a PM or PB .... ` could not care about iPod and holly-rocks...

up-grade(s)!?

I'm with you on that one, but it looks like most of the people here are just thinking iPods. I need a good PowerBook. I will say that with a red curtain though it had to be cinema related, seems strange no video iPods, anyway we will all find out next week. Who know maybe it's an update on iDVD or iMovie. :eek:
Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.