Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunahilga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Hello all, new to this forum.
I have to have windows for a uni course.As far as i can see windows 8 is unsupported on apple but it is £40, whereas windows 7 which is what i need (I think) is £125.Have I got this wrong or is there a cheaper way to do it? Thanks in advance.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hello all, new to this forum.
I have to have windows for a uni course.As far as i can see windows 8 is unsupported on apple but it is £40, whereas windows 7 which is what i need (I think) is £125.Have I got this wrong or is there a cheaper way to do it? Thanks in advance.

I would go with Windows 7, although 10.8.3 will bring Windows 8 support in Boot Camp. Windows 7 is a much better OS for non-touch devices.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I suspect the biggest reason is that that win8 is an upgrade.

Also Microsoft has been running a promotion on windows upgrade that is ending which had the win8 upgrade price very cheap - you may be seeing that in action

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I started with win8, purchased the upgrade, and did the upgrade as documented when you have a Win7 media disk (requires a registry edit). Win8 installed, and I got enough of it to see how BAD it was. Almost unusable in my eyes. It corrupted itself via parallels the next day, and I installed Win7 instead. It did me a favor I think!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.