Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:30 PM   #1
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

How do I set the position of an element relative to another element?

I need to position an element directly below another element, but I don't know the element's position, and I don't want to take the time to figure it out. I could probably whip up a little script, but is that the only way, or can I do it all in CSS?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 03:41 AM   #2
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
I need to position an element directly below another element, but I don't know the element's position, and I don't want to take the time to figure it out. I could probably whip up a little script, but is that the only way, or can I do it all in CSS?
I think the element will be automatically under it. What element are you talking about?
Hexiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 07:33 AM   #3
elppa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
I am not sure I am 100% certain of what you are asking, because you haven't really given enough information about the styling currently applied to the two elements in question.

If you do have parent element which is relatively positioned then by making the child element absolutely positioned you will ensure the child is always positioned relative to its parent.

By way of an example:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>
<head>
	<title>Positioning Example</title>
</head>

<body>	
	<div>
		parent element
		<div>child element</div>
	</div>
</body>
</html>
Code:
div {
	width: 200px;
	height: 200px;
}

body > div {
	position: relative;
	background: #f00;
	margin: 0 auto;
}

div > div {
	position: absolute;
	top: 200px;
	left: 50px;
	background: #ff0;
}
Thus you can easily position the child below the parent (provided you know the parents height).

If the elements are floated, then you can just clear floats. That will put on element below another.

We do probably need a bit more information about the current CSS properties applied to the elements to be able to help more though.
elppa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

Elppa, maybe next time include ID's/classes in your div example because although "div > div" certainly is legal, it could be dangerous to use that example in a real site as some newbies would, affecting any div within another - what a potential mess. Using ID's/classes also helps newbies and guru's alike when debugging style issues, plus extremely useful if tied into Javascript methods.

Yep, I admit fully I am being picky here. My apologies for that, but of course nothing personal intended and of course your advice was spot on, as always.

Cheers to you, please don't kill me for this.

SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development