Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:10 AM   #1
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Oh people and their iMac boxes...

This just made me laugh... and maybe cry a little bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-iMac-201...item27cf1c69ea
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:16 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Ouch, $290 for a(n)(empty) box
justperry is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:18 AM   #3
cheekychappie
macrumors newbie

haha that cannot be serious!!!
cheekychappie is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:21 AM   #4
madsci954
macrumors 68000

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Last edited by madsci954; Jan 25, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
madsci954 is offline   5
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

A stolen iMac and somebody trying to box it like it is genuine.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:29 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Well, if I were shipping my iMac I would want the actual box. Maybe to them $290 is a small price to pay to ensure it gets to the destination safely.
GoCubsGo is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Chrusty
macrumors newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Ouch, $290 for a(n)(empty) box
I bet his 100% possitive feedback won't last long.
Chrusty is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:53 AM   #8
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrusty View Post
Why? The description clearly says that it is an empty box and no computer is included. It's the buyer's fault for not reading the details if he/she thinks they bought a new iMac for a sliver of retail.
madsci954 is offline   6
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:59 AM   #9
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Who would pay a stinking $290 for an empty box?

It's not even the box of high end 27" iMac .. too high! That should cost $289
iSayuSay is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:01 AM   #10
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrusty View Post
Clearly stated in description.

Quote:
This box will come with no computer, manual, cds, keyboard, or mouse.
justperry is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:34 AM   #11
monokakata
macrumors 65816

Quote:
True! But it seems clear to me the seller was looking to trick somebody, because "Item Specifics" lists nice iMac specs, and those specs are repeated in the second description.

A careless reader, or maybe somebody whose English is rudimentary -- got to be what the seller was looking for -- would fasten onto those specs, having skimmed over the disclaimer.

It's a genius scam, because the buyer will have no recourse. Even so, it's a scam.
monokakata is offline   4
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:38 AM   #12
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

If the buyer didn't know what they were buying, they could probably file a claim since the listing says:

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item"

It's clearly been opened. But who knows - maybe somebody wanted to buy a box - fill it with wood, and sell it for $800 out of the back of a truck.
uptownnyc is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:47 AM   #13
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
I agree, he mentions it a couple of times. I don't think the seller was trying to scam anybody, listing the specs is meant to show which computer was in the box.

Yet I doubt the seller will see the $290 in this case, since the winner has 0 feedback, and was likely just bidding as a joke or because he also deemed it a scam.

But it happened before, I noticed empty GPU and console boxes being auctioned off. I don't understand why people are paying high prices for empty boxes, is that a collector thing?
AndiS. is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:51 AM   #14
nep61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
This just made me laugh... and maybe cry a little bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-iMac-201...item27cf1c69ea
I just laughed... no crying here.
I have an original Purple iMac box from 1998... Tray load CD, 333mHZ processor... wonder what I could get for that?
nep61 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
Yet I doubt the seller will see the $290 in this case, since the winner has 0 feedback, and was likely just bidding as a joke or because he also deemed it a scam.
Saw that as well, I think you're right here, the seller probably won't get his money.
justperry is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #16
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamacthing View Post
What an ass
I don't even understand this statement. If you're referring to the seller then you're sadly misguided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monokakata View Post
True! But it seems clear to me the seller was looking to trick somebody, because "Item Specifics" lists nice iMac specs, and those specs are repeated in the second description.

A careless reader, or maybe somebody whose English is rudimentary -- got to be what the seller was looking for -- would fasten onto those specs, having skimmed over the disclaimer.

It's a genius scam, because the buyer will have no recourse. Even so, it's a scam.
Oh, just blame the seller wholeheartedly but don't hold the buyer at any responsibility.

There was no scam. If people are going to spend THEIR money it's THEIR responsibility 110% to read the auction description completely. If a person has problems reading english they shouldn't be buying stuff on Ebay at all without somebody with better reading comprehension to help them. The seller can sell whatever he wants as long as Ebay allows it and as long the description to the product in question is listed clearly and it was. If people want to be stupid on Ebay and just click "Buy it Now" for a 27" iMac under $300 without reading exactly what they are buying then that's their stupidity and they do not deserve their money back.
HenryDJP is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:18 AM   #17
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Yeah, sure, it's the buyer's fault. However, I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts, based on how the auction was written that someone purchased that "box" believing that there was an iMac in it.

So what's the seller going to do? If he's super honest he will remind them it's only a BOX with no Mac in it before he ships it out. Otherwise what is likely to happen is that he ships the empty box to someone who very promptly files a dispute with eBay and/or Paypal.

I have seen iPhone boxes sell for $20-$30, where the person clearly knew they were just getting a box... there's almost no way someone legitimately pays nearly $300 for an empty iMac box.
jmpage2 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:23 AM   #18
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Yeah, sure, it's the buyer's fault. However, I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts, based on how the auction was written that someone purchased that "box" believing that there was an iMac in it.

So what's the seller going to do? If he's super honest he will remind them it's only a BOX with no Mac in it before he ships it out. Otherwise what is likely to happen is that he ships the empty box to someone who very promptly files a dispute with eBay and/or Paypal.

I have seen iPhone boxes sell for $20-$30, where the person clearly knew they were just getting a box... there's almost no way someone legitimately pays nearly $300 for an empty iMac box.
You'd be surprised. I've seen many expired Amex black cards sold on ebay that have expired and still go for over 1k.

I'd try to sell my box too, but I would want it if I ever move, which hopefully happens soon.

On the listing the seller does state its just a box, so if the buyer files a dispute, I don't think he would win.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:31 AM   #19
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Firstly, people do buy the boxes for products because they either want to sell their iMac and want the box to increase resell value or for shipping. Ever go to Fedex and UPS and try to buy boxes from them? They charge outrageous prices.

Also did you actually check out the auction? The description of the item is clearly stated.

"27inch NEW iMac (2012) box for sale. This box will come with no computer, manual, cds, keyboard, or mouse. Will come with all Styrofoam, and boxes. This is only for the box. Tech Specs are 2.9 GHz quad core i5, 8GB ram, 1 TB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 660m 512 MB DDR5 memory. Thanks for looking."

If a person that's buying this doesn't understand this description coupled with the price then their stupid, plain and simple.
HenryDJP is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:59 AM   #20
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Whether the person is stupid or not does not change the outcome of a person crying foul when they didn't get what they were expecting.

Yes, he said it was only a box, right after his auction said "27" iMac" and showed the specs for an iMac... someone in a hurry might have thought that it was an iMac going for a very low price and put a bid in. If you think that eBay will side with the seller in this case you are wrong for two reasons;

1. he listed item as "new in box" which it's not.
2. he listed item specifics which included the specs for a computer that is not for sale in this auction.

The seller will lose a dispute.

And sure, people buy boxes to increase resale of their electronics or because they are OCD... but $290? Really? You think that a box is going to affect resale of your Mac by nearly $300? I don't think so.
jmpage2 is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:03 AM   #21
Coffee Minutes
macrumors member

Maybe the seller just wanted to increase traffic to their page and had a friend "buy it."
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:31 AM   #22
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Whether the person is stupid or not does not change the outcome of a person crying foul when they didn't get what they were expecting.

Yes, he said it was only a box, right after his auction said "27" iMac" and showed the specs for an iMac... someone in a hurry might have thought that it was an iMac going for a very low price and put a bid in. If you think that eBay will side with the seller in this case you are wrong for two reasons;

1. he listed item as "new in box" which it's not.
2. he listed item specifics which included the specs for a computer that is not for sale in this auction.

The seller will lose a dispute.

And sure, people buy boxes to increase resale of their electronics or because they are OCD... but $290? Really? You think that a box is going to affect resale of your Mac by nearly $300? I don't think so.
There are multiple reasons why somebody would need a box and a product's worth is in the eye of the beholder, you're viewing this price purely on a personal basis.

Secondly, you're dead wrong about Ebay siding with the customer. They protect sellers wholeheartedly. I had to report a seller who screwed me over and his auction clearly stated the the "used" item I was buying was near mint. When I received it, it was old and had severe wear. I contacted Ebay and they did everything they could to protect the seller. The only reason I won the dispute and was able to return it for a full refund is because they seller contacted me outraged because I filed a dispute and he admitted to the product being old and worn and Ebay suspended his account and got me my money back.

In this case here about the box, you're trying to pick apart the details of the item showing "new". The box basically is "new" and regardless of that the seller clearly stated what he was selling. You do realize that companies legally can state in very small print at the bottom of a webpage what they are actually selling? Again it's the customer's responsibility. If this was a legit purchase and the buyer really thought he was buying an iMac, Ebay won't give him his money back, nor is he entitled to it.

You're giving the buyer a pass because they may be in a hurry and didn't read completely? That's the customer's fault. When people are spending their money it's their responsibility to buy smart, bar none. The same can be said about virus writers? When are websurfers going to stop blaming virus writers for giving them a virus. You have to surf smart and know when to and when not to open certain emails.

You'll never make it as a business owner because you only look at business from a customer's perspective.
HenryDJP is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 AM   #23
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

I keep all my boxes for everything (yes my garage is full). I tend to resell everything after I upgrade or whatever having a box really increases the value. If I knew I could get almost $300 for the iMac box I might make an exception.

TouchMint.com is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #24
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
There are multiple reasons why somebody would need a box and a product's worth is in the eye of the beholder, you're viewing this price purely on a personal basis.

Secondly, you're dead wrong about Ebay siding with the customer. They protect sellers wholeheartedly. I had to report a seller who screwed me over and his auction clearly stated the the "used" item I was buying was near mint. When I received it, it was old and had severe wear. I contacted Ebay and they did everything they could to protect the seller. The only reason I won the dispute and was able to return it for a full refund is because they seller contacted me outraged because I filed a dispute and he admitted to the product being old and worn and Ebay suspended his account and got me my money back.

In this case here about the box, you're trying to pick apart the details of the item showing "new". The box basically is "new" and regardless of that the seller clearly stated what he was selling. You do realize that companies legally can state in very small print at the bottom of a webpage what they are actually selling? Again it's the customer's responsibility. If this was a legit purchase and the buyer really thought he was buying an iMac, Ebay won't give him his money back, nor is he entitled to it.

You're giving the buyer a pass because they may be in a hurry and didn't read completely? That's the customer's fault. When people are spending their money it's their responsibility to buy smart, bar none. The same can be said about virus writers? When are websurfers going to stop blaming virus writers for giving them a virus. You have to surf smart and know when to and when not to open certain emails.

You'll never make it as a business owner because you only look at business from a customer's perspective.
Right, because nobody would ever complain if this was in the auction description;

Quote:
Tech Specs are 2.9 GHz quad core i5, 8GB ram, 1 TB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 660m 512 MB DDR5 memory. Thanks for looking.
And feel misled.

I've been on eBay since 1996 with hundreds of auctions as both buyer and seller and have had to fight as both a buyer and seller when an auction went sideways. I still have 100% feedback. From my own experience eBay is far more likely to side with a buyer than seller. Look at the fact that they've handicapped sellers from leaving negative feedback about crummy buyers.

And, thanks for your comments about my inability to run a business, seeing as my wife and I own and operate a very successful dental practice. You are the one who appears to be clueless, since you are making the argument that an opened "box" can be "new".
jmpage2 is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:06 AM   #25
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

when I get my Machine , I might have to consider selling my box and put the funds towards one of these

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Apple-27-I-ma...qH!~~60_58.JPG

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland