Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:10 AM   #1
walkreed
macrumors newbie

20" Cinema Display with Macbook Pro

So I bought an old 20" Cinema Display at a yard sale for dirt cheap. I didn't have any way to test it, but for the price I took their word that it worked great.

Now I've got it connected with a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter, but all I'm getting on the monitor is a black screen. My laptop (newer Macbook Pro) recognizes it, but I don't get anything on the monitor.

Does this mean the monitor is shot? Or do I need some other sort of connection?

Thanks!
walkreed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkreed View Post
So I bought an old 20" Cinema Display at a yard sale for dirt cheap. I didn't have any way to test it, but for the price I took their word that it worked great.

Now I've got it connected with a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter, but all I'm getting on the monitor is a black screen. My laptop (newer Macbook Pro) recognizes it, but I don't get anything on the monitor.

Does this mean the monitor is shot? Or do I need some other sort of connection?

Thanks!
When you say "newer MBP," what exactly do you mean by newer? Because if it's a TB MBP, then I don't think it will work with that display.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
walkreed
macrumors newbie

Not sure what you mean by "TB" but it's about two years old. It's the Intel i5, I think.
walkreed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkreed View Post
Not sure what you mean by "TB" but it's about two years old. It's the Intel i5, I think.
I mean Thunderbolt. I don't know if the thunderbolt enabled Macs are compatible with the older displays.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

In theory, the Thunderbolt -> mini-DP -> DVI route should work. Like you said, though, the monitor might be shot. Do you know anyone else with a Thunderbolt MBP that can test the monitor?

You also might try any other (non-Apple) monitors you have. The problem could be with mini-DP/Thunderbolt port, but I doubt it since your MBP is detecting the cinema display.

Last resort would be to take it to an Apple store, if convenient, and see if it works with any of their machines.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:04 AM   #6
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adpater works

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...to-dvi-adapter
ThirteenXIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:08 PM   #7
keehinckley@gma
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenXIII View Post
Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adpater works

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...to-dvi-adapter
Nice in theory. Not good for me. I have 2011 17" MacBook Pro and a 20" Aluminum Cinema. I've tried multiple Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adaptors. Nothing. However the monitor works just fine with my DVI MacBook Pro. I've tried it with another MacBook. It worked a couple times, and then stopped. Very odd.

With the adapter on my laptop, I get nothing. Not a sign that the machine so much as knows something is plugged in.

With the DisplayPort->VGA adapter, and a VGA->DVI adapter, the laptop sees the display (I can even change the settings on the power buttons and such), but the monitor stays dark. I can put windows on it, I can't see them. Changing display sizes does nothing to help.
keehinckley@gma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:18 PM   #8
altuixde
macrumors member

Is the monitor on? Forgive me if that's too obvious, I just want to be thorough.
altuixde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:07 PM   #9
eatinbugs
macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt connection to ... old cimena display

I've been beating my head against the wall with this for a few days now. Yes, it can work... at least it did for a while. Here's a link to my post on the Apple Support forum: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21189700#21189700
eatinbugs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help