Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 PM   #126
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
The Amazing Secret Lives of Bob Stephens

Legendary CEO of Apricot Inc. and world renowned SUPERSPY! Inventor of the Alderman computer, the MyJuke portable music player, the MyCell Smartphone, and the MyTab (which needs no introduction).
HAHAHAH!!!! It took me a while to understand you...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 PM   #127
iAco
Banned

Hollywoodland is totally wrong.
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:36 PM   #128
balamw

What seems totally wrong about this still (haven't watched the scene yet) is Josh Gad's curly/kinky hair as Woz.

B
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:37 PM   #129
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
There is nothing wrong with a movie taking creative license with the story of Steve Jobs. The problem is that it is more or less presented as fact -- and helps to create a myth about his true initial motivations and the role of others in the creation of Apple.
Oh god, not another one. Fact?

You people really don't know what that word means. Hollywood movie = fact. Yeah.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #130
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I think the mistake all these Steve Jobs stories make is focusing too much on the Jobs/Wozniak era which is fairly small in terms of Jobs' overall career.

Really the most defining era of Jobs was during the Macintosh, return to Apple after exile, iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad...all of which take place long after Wozniak was out of the picture.

Jobs is far more synonymous with with the Mac and i-devices, than the Apple II.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:03 PM   #131
Gamoe
macrumors regular

I had the feeling it was all wrong. Now Woz has chimed in to confirm that. And come one guys- If you wrote a book about your past achievements and how it went down and saw something portray it totally inaccurately on TV, you'd be telling people to read your book too. Check it out at the library if you don't want to buy it.

Just because you suggest your writing to someone doesn't mean that your primary motivation is monetary compensation.

Also a movie can be pretty accurate and still be entertaining. That's called good story-telling. Poetic license can mean changing some events to make them more dramatic or understandable, not changing the whole feeling and important elements of the story. If you need to do that, then create other fictional characters, because obviously you are not fit to tell the true story here.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:07 PM   #132
jkdsteve
macrumors member

It's a movie fer christ's sake.

As fun as it is to listen to Woz...hasn't been relevant for what, 20 years now?
jkdsteve is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:07 PM   #133
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Wozniak Rules!!!

I'd basically believe anything Woz has to say, even more so than if Jobs was still alive. They really should have gone to Woz first, for techincal aspects of this movie.

TrentS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:09 PM   #134
mtrctyjoe
macrumors 6502

Well, that sucked. Horrible acting and now Woz dissed it ..... I will wait until it is streaming on NetFlix for free ... which will probably be 2 weeks after it launches.
mtrctyjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:28 PM   #135
baryon
macrumors 68030

Okay, but why aren't film makers consulting the people they're making a movie about? I thought it was the absolute most basic thing to do: ask those who you make a movie about, let them tell you how it happened, isn't that the most authentic way of doing things?

Walter Isaacson didn't just write the biography without consulting everyone he could about everything.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:31 PM   #136
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
What seems totally wrong about this still (haven't watched the scene yet) is Josh Gad's curly/kinky hair as Woz.

B
I agree, that looked crap. Also, facially there seems to be little resemblance. Strange casting.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:35 PM   #137
Aiwaz418
macrumors newbie

Well, yeah...

Everybody knew this was going to be a steaming pile with any and all facts thrown out the window.
Aiwaz418 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:53 PM   #138
krravi
macrumors 65816

When Woz is still there, I can't believe the movie makers did not sit with him and get the facts straight.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #139
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

It would be much better if they made this an accurate movie. They can have fun with it in other ways but changing what was said by who I think is just wrong. Take artistic liberties elsewhere in the movie design process.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:10 PM   #140
AaronEdwards
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpe33 View Post
Oh come on, Woz! It's a movie, it's supposed to take some creative license. I'm sure the true way it happened is probably rather boring...nobody wants to see that!
Exactly! Consider how boring a movie would be about how Jobs got his ideas. With a bit of creative license I'm thinking a movie that starts with Jobs making a deal at a crossroad and ends with the man he made the deal with collecting would be a lot more interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalis View Post
The best part of the movie is the end, where Jobs ascends into heaven.
There is the issue with Jobs being a Buddhist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post

B
That photo really explains why Kutcher was picked as Jobs.

Last edited by AaronEdwards; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
AaronEdwards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:10 PM   #141
DavidTheExpert
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm embarrassed but if the movie is fun and entertaining, all the better.
Woz is such a good guy. He points out blatant inaccuracies without sounding bitter about it. And then still taking an opportunity to plug his book at the end.

<3 Woz
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:45 PM   #142
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Totally disagree....

I fully realize this is a movie -- but that doesn't give the writers an automatic pass to misrepresent things.

When you make a movie about an event that happened far in the past, it's one thing. All the people you could have consulted to get the facts are dead. Your job a a movie-maker is to read the information you're able to get and to imaginatively fill in the blanks.

If you have no interest in making the effort when major characters in your movie are alive and well, and could simply be interviewed? That's ridiculous and ruins the quality of the production, IMO.

And sure, there's such a thing as "artistic license". But the same people who hide behind that as an excuse for laziness in researching how to make the movie portray events or people accurately turn around and slap, "Based on a true story!" banners all over the place. IMO, you can't really have it both ways. If you want the sales it generates to promise your movie portrays real events or people, you either portray them realistically or your film is that much worse for not doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good.

Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.
kingtj is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:01 PM   #143
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good. Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.
If the movie was about you, I am certain you'd have a different opinion.
macs4nw is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:11 PM   #144
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Uh he did get his way which is why his company is successful today.
I know! I enjoyed the book too

Just saying he's a cry baby
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:07 PM   #145
ThomasJL
macrumors 6502a

Why do so many Apple fanboys say hostile things about Woz? Such fanboys are ingrates. Without Woz, there would never have been Apple, and thus this forum would have never existed for those fanboys to make such ignorant remarks.

It's a shame that Woz doesn't get the level of credit he so richly deserves.

Last edited by ThomasJL; Jan 25, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
ThomasJL is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:18 PM   #146
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Hollywood getting something wrong? What did they do right?

PS- I love Woz. I like that he'll burn Apple to the ground if they deserve it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:49 PM   #147
JoeIsInTheCloud
macrumors member

Settle down, Woz...

That's ok, Woz. All of these movies take fictional liberties in order to be entertaining. Nobody takes them as gospel anymore than anyone with any context believes you invented the personal computer. Relax.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJL View Post
Why do so many Apple fanboys say hostile things about Woz? Such fanboys are ingrates. Without Woz, there would never have been Apple, and thus this forum would have never existed those fanboys to make such ignorant remarks.

Oh, give me a break, Thomas! Did you notice the subtitle of his book includes the phrase "How I invented the personal computer"? Woz gets more credit than he deserves from Apple Fanboys and so-called computer "journalists" alike. If you believe he invented the personal computer, allow me to convince you how I invented sex.
JoeIsInTheCloud is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:50 PM   #148
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJL View Post
Why do so many Apple fanboys say hostile things about Woz? Such fanboys are ingrates. Without Woz, there would never have been Apple, and thus this forum would have never existed those fanboys to make such ignorant remarks.

And exactly where was your boy WOZ when the company almost folded? So by your words, without WOZ there wouldn't have been a dying company called Apple Computer.
Where was WOZ when the company got back on it's feet and became the success it is today? WOZ had ZERO to do with Apple's success today, ZERO.

Your name calling is just unnecessary and rude.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:54 PM   #149
JoeIsInTheCloud
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
WOZ had ZERO to do with Apple's success today, ZERO.
Absolutely correct, sir. But he has demigod status among the mass media, along with "tech journalists" (i.e. Cringely, et. al.) who should know better. Since Jobs is dead, and Woz is so accessible, they trip over themselves to probe the mind of Apple employee #1. It's the same old ignorance and revisionism that's easily swallowed by a general public.
JoeIsInTheCloud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:32 PM   #150
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

Bryan
I wonder what would happen if Apple Brought Woz back on the Board of Directors?
SmileyBlast! is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion