Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
phas3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bachelors in Business vs Associates in Information Technology

Okay so before I get into the nitty gritty here's a little background about me. I'm 25 years old, after high school I joined the Marine Corps did 4 years and got out to start going to school. I got out in 2009 and since then I've been on the path to getting a Bachelors in Business. I will be at the end of that path next winter. Right now I'm a full time student working for AT&T as a Uverse Technician. I meet a lot of people in my job, Uverse Technicians(Premises Technician) are essentially the face of AT&T.

The other day I met someone that works for a company called Mandiant (information security company) and we got to talking about the IT world, how he got where he is now. I've always had a keen interest in IT. We had a good conversation about it and it totally had me thinking twice about my educational path.

Now as mentioned before I'm a little over half way with my Bachelors in Business but I was thinking of switching over to Information Technology and just getting an Associates and working on my certifications in the IT world and eventually getting a Bachelors in IT.

OR I can keep on track with my BA in Business and at the same time take side classes to get an Associates in Information Technology since I've already got all my general education courses done and would just need to take the core classes for IT.

Would like your opinion on what path should I take?
phas3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:49 AM   #2
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
Okay so before I get into the nitty gritty here's a little background about me. I'm 25 years old, after high school I joined the Marine Corps did 4 years and got out to start going to school. I got out in 2009 and since then I've been on the path to getting a Bachelors in Business. I will be at the end of that path next winter. Right now I'm a full time student working for AT&T as a Uverse Technician. I meet a lot of people in my job, Uverse Technicians(Premises Technician) are essentially the face of AT&T.

The other day I met someone that works for a company called Mandiant (information security company) and we got to talking about the IT world, how he got where he is now. I've always had a keen interest in IT. We had a good conversation about it and it totally had me thinking twice about my educational path.

Now as mentioned before I'm a little over half way with my Bachelors in Business but I was thinking of switching over to Information Technology and just getting an Associates and working on my certifications in the IT world and eventually getting a Bachelors in IT.

OR I can keep on track with my BA in Business and at the same time take side classes to get an Associates in Information Technology since I've already got all my general education courses done and would just need to take the core classes for IT.

Would like your opinion on what path should I take?
Both seem kind of generic. I think job security wise IT would be better since you would actually be trained to do something, and if you like it, all the better.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I would say go for the 4 year degree. As bad as it sound sthe 4 year degree opens more doors to get what you want to do than a 2 year degree.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Not necessarily
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 AM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above seal level
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
I would say go for the 4 year degree. As bad as it sound sthe 4 year degree opens more doors to get what you want to do than a 2 year degree.
I agree

Many positions now, and in the future, require a 4 year degree. Not to mention, most managerial positions require often a BS or even a grad degree.
dukebound85 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:17 AM   #6
phas3
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I agree

Many positions now, and in the future, require a 4 year degree. Not to mention, most managerial positions require often a BS or even a grad degree.
But what if I really want to have a career in the IT world, should I go with the last option BA in Bachelors and an Associates in IT + Certs?

I'm turning 26 next month and I just feel like I'm so late to everything, and now I'm at a crossroad where I don't know which educational path I want to take...
phas3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:22 AM   #7
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
But what if I really want to have a career in the IT world, should I go with the last option BA in Bachelors and an Associates in IT + Certs?

I'm turning 26 next month and I just feel like I'm so late to everything, and now I'm at a crossroad where I don't know which educational path I want to take...
Wouldn't worry about the age. It literally doesn't matter at all except your state of mind.

If you can do the BA and IT, go for it. But the question here is how do those two degrees compliment each other? Do they? Have you considered switching to be a computer science major?

I may be wrong, but I'm generally not a fan of just a generic degree in bizznezz. What quantifiable skills does such a degree give you? You've probably learned more about managment in the military than you will learn in school. That degree could be a great compliment to something, or perhaps an MBA, but idk about just a straight bizznezz degree.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:26 AM   #8
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midwest
Go for the Associates in IT. I have a bachelor's in business and any business/marketing degree is pretty worthless. I more or less got it, just to have a degree. Anything business wise you will get based on your personality and work ethic, I can't think of 1 thing I learned in school that I have really applied to what I do now.

I guess a lot of it depends on your financial situation. If you are going to have lots of student loans then I'd get out now. In my case, my parents paid for it all so I just stuck with it. I minored in Sociology as well. The only 4 year degrees I feel are really worthwhile are ones that you have a specific skill set......like law, accounting, or medicine.
__________________
2012/13 27" iMac, (2013)13" MacBook Air, iPhone 5s, iPad Air, Apple TV
JoshMKB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:28 AM   #9
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
Go for the Associates in IT. I have a bachelor's in business and any business/marketing degree is pretty worthless. I more or less got it, just to have a degree. Anything business wise you will get based on your personality and work ethic, I can't think of 1 thing I learned in school that I have really applied to what I do now.
Yeah that's kind of what my suspicion is.

Unless you go to a very, very top tier business school
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
But what if I really want to have a career in the IT world, should I go with the last option BA in Bachelors and an Associates in IT + Certs?

I'm turning 26 next month and I just feel like I'm so late to everything, and now I'm at a crossroad where I don't know which educational path I want to take...
Age is not a big of an issue as you think it is.

Also the Bachelors in business is a great degree that to me function as a multiplier on something else. Worthless on its own but great when paired with something else but you want to get into IT so it can work pretty well with it and give you a good understanding of a lot that goes on in IT that many pure IT guys do not know or have to learn later.

I personally have 2 Bachelors that in 90-99% of the time are not complimentary of each other. I got lucky the company I work for works for the industry my first degree is in but other than having an extra understanding of construction completely worthless to me and my CS degree.

I turn 30 this year and at that point I will have about 1 year under my belt in as a software developer.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #11
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Yeah that's kind of what my suspicion is.

Unless you go to a very, very top tier business school
Even top top top tier business school degrees aren't worth much if you're a POS

I'm debating about doing a Master's degree now just because........like you said a business degree is pretty much worthless besides saying you have a degree. It allows you to skip working up from the very bottom, instead you might start like 2 levels above the bottom level haha
__________________
2012/13 27" iMac, (2013)13" MacBook Air, iPhone 5s, iPad Air, Apple TV
JoshMKB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
phas3
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
thanks for the replies everyone, I've got the GI Bill so the Veterans Association is paying for my education.

Now if I continue on getting my BA in Business and get an Associates in Information Technology + Certifications would I have a better chance than someone with a BA in IT trying to get a job in the IT World?
phas3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:21 AM   #13
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
thanks for the replies everyone, I've got the GI Bill so the Veterans Association is paying for my education.

Now if I continue on getting my BA in Business and get an Associates in Information Technology + Certifications would I have a better chance than someone with a BA in IT trying to get a job in the IT World?
All else equal, yes because you also have a BA. But what you really need to consider is getting degrees that compliment each other, or look into computer science or electrical engineering even.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:41 AM   #14
phas3
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
All else equal, yes because you also have a BA. But what you really need to consider is getting degrees that compliment each other, or look into computer science or electrical engineering even.

But I absolutely hate math lol
phas3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:45 AM   #15
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020
 
Macky-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
thanks for the replies everyone, I've got the GI Bill so the Veterans Association is paying for my education.

Now if I continue on getting my BA in Business and get an Associates in Information Technology + Certifications would I have a better chance than someone with a BA in IT trying to get a job in the IT World?
When you're starting out and looking for a job in IT, your Associates in IT will leave you at a disadvantage against other job hunters with a BS in IT.
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:11 AM   #16
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
But I absolutely hate math lol
When was the last time you took a math class?

And you have to consider, this is going to be applied math, and you're going to be using it to do something cool.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:29 AM   #17
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midwest
I don't think there is a way around math........I hate math as well, but I still couldn't avoid taking statistics and some accounting courses as well. Both are fairly easy numbers wise, its just getting all the #s to work out that sucks!
__________________
2012/13 27" iMac, (2013)13" MacBook Air, iPhone 5s, iPad Air, Apple TV
JoshMKB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC