Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:49 PM   #26
robvas
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
Have you ever tried to return products?
We never have had to.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 PM   #27
chocoyo00
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal
My 2009 MB Pro with an upgraded SSD and 8GB of Ram was still kicking ass, but I couldn't resist this deal and I've always liked the looks of the Air...so I picked one up tonight at BB! Now time to sell my MB pro .
chocoyo00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:36 AM   #28
superpepino
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Thumbs up Bought a new macbook air

i was on the fence about buying a macbook air to replace my much older macbook and this was enough reason to make the upgrade
superpepino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:10 AM   #29
sam2428
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
This is a great deal... I don't need a laptop until this summer because ill be going to grad school starting in the fall, but now I'm debating if I should jump on this deal or wait until a refresh. ?!?
sam2428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:33 AM   #30
burnout8488
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Endwell, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2428 View Post
This is a great deal... I don't need a laptop until this summer because ill be going to grad school starting in the fall, but now I'm debating if I should jump on this deal or wait until a refresh. ?!?
There will be an update before Fall '13. Wait. You will regret it if you don't.

Hell, there might even be two updates by then, you just never know with the Mac lines.
__________________
Intel: iMac 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1), 2012 MBA 13" Base
PPC: iMac G4 700
iOS: iPhone 5C 16GB Sprint / iPad 2 - 16GB Verizon
burnout8488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:40 AM   #31
babond
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I have a late 2007 Macbook 13in that functions great but could kick the bucket @ any given time. I notice it is starting to show its age in speed. I wasn't in the market for a new laptop but this deal seems almost too good to pass up. Opinions?
babond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:55 AM   #32
urkel
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
There will be an update before Fall '13. Wait. You will regret it if you don't.
While it's true a MacBook Air update will likely be out in a few months, what exactly will that update offer that this one will lack? And before anyone jumps to the default "RETINA" response then lets not forget that Retina came at a surprisingly high added cost and many of us who were waiting for Retina felt like we were punched in the gut when we saw it would cost 40% more to have it. And when it comes to the Air, is Retina really necessary for a machine meant to be an ultralight?

I'm not trying to be negative, but the guy said he's a college student and the 2012 MBA is an amazing machine that has few drawbacks so if a deal like this comes along then you really have to decide whats a better purchase. Buying "last seasons Mac" at a big discount vs waiting 6mo for next seasons price gouge with no discount?
urkel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:43 AM   #33
CaneCollegeboy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Im so tempted to get one that found open item + 10% off just on price alone but truthfully don't think i need it. Im just wondering how long an (latest model) 11 air with 128gb would last? 3 or 4 years? just kinda hard for to me justify since i have the latest iPad and a hand me down macbook (late 2006)thats still alive and kicking
CaneCollegeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:54 AM   #34
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2428 View Post
This is a great deal... I don't need a laptop until this summer because ill be going to grad school starting in the fall, but now I'm debating if I should jump on this deal or wait until a refresh. ?!?
I'd probably go for it. I doubt we'll see a true Retina Display MacBook Air in 2013. We'll probably just see a price cut on the 13" rMBP. The 2012 Air is very nice and these prices are better than Apple refurbished prices.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:09 PM   #35
burnout8488
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Endwell, NY
It will be close to 10 months before they will need the Mac, I feel we might even see two updates to the MBA in that time period. (Early '13 and Late '13)

The latter update may even change form factor. It may not be Retina, but you will get more for your money buying an MBA in Late '13 versus now, even consider the $200 discount we have right now. (You will be eligible for Apple's student discount in the future, for what it's worth) 8GB of ram may be the norm on the base model at that point too. Ivy Bridge will be gone and the integrated graphics will be significantly better.

If you're one that doesn't tend to be envious of the latest and greatest however, you may not mind. This deal was great for people like me that needed a laptop *now*. I'll still love it come a year from now, but if I didn't need one and *could* wait, I sure would wait for the '13s to show their face.
__________________
Intel: iMac 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1), 2012 MBA 13" Base
PPC: iMac G4 700
iOS: iPhone 5C 16GB Sprint / iPad 2 - 16GB Verizon
burnout8488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:48 PM   #36
soulvoid
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Picked up a MBA 11in for $799 at frys last night. Love it.
soulvoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:00 PM   #37
dmk1974
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Here's a table that I compiled for the various MacBook's at Best Buy. The new price for the MBA's is only through today, but the 10% off open box runs through next Saturday. Pre-tax and pre-RZ certs earned of course. (Sorry about the formatting)

Best Buy Open Box Mac Database
1/26/13
Description Model # BB New BB OB BB -10% OB
2012 MBA 11" i5 1.7 4/64 MD223LL/A $799.00 $826.99 $744.29
2012 MBA 11" i5 1.7 4/128 MD224LL/A $899.99 $904.99 $814.49
2012 MBA 13" i5 1.8 4/128 MD231LL/A $999.99 $979.99 $881.99
2012 MBA 13" i5 1.8 4/256 MD232LL/A $1,299.99 $1,218.99 $1,097.09

2012 uMBP 13" i5 2.5 4/500 MD101LL/A $1,099.99 $979.99 $881.99
2012 uMBP 13" i7 2.9 8/750 MD102LL/A $1,419.99 $1,236.99 $1,113.29
2012 uMBP 15" i7 2.3 4/500 MD103LL/A $1,709.99 $1,480.99 $1,332.89
2012 uMBP 15" i7 2.6 8/750 MD104LL/A $2,079.99 $1,811.99 $1,630.79

2012 rMBP 13" i5 2.5 8/128 MD212LL/A $1,614.99 $1,406.99 $1,266.29
2012 rMBP 13" i5 2.5 8/256 MD213LL/A $1,899.99 $1,636.99 $1,473.29
2012 rMBP 15" i7 2.3 8/256 MC975LL/A $2,079.99 $1,811.99 $1,630.79
2012 rMBP 15" i7 2.6 8/512 MC976LL/A $2,649.99 $2,307.99 $2,077.19
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro i5 2.4 ME865LL/A | iPad Mini Retina LTE 16GB Space Gray| iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray | Apple TV3
dmk1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #38
waa1futs
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
While it's true a MacBook Air update will likely be out in a few months, what exactly will that update offer that this one will lack? And before anyone jumps to the default "RETINA" response then lets not forget that Retina came at a surprisingly high added cost and many of us who were waiting for Retina felt like we were punched in the gut when we saw it would cost 40% more to have it. And when it comes to the Air, is Retina really necessary for a machine meant to be an ultralight?
Yep. Even if "retina" comes to the macbook air this year it will cost an additional $500 like it does on the macbook pro ($1199 vs $1699).

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
I'm not trying to be negative, but the guy said he's a college student and the 2012 MBA is an amazing machine that has few drawbacks so if a deal like this comes along then you really have to decide whats a better purchase. Buying "last seasons Mac" at a big discount vs waiting 6mo for next seasons price gouge with no discount?
Exactly. Do you really want to pass on a big discount and have to wait an additional 6 months just so you can get price gouged at full retail?

I don't...

Last edited by waa1futs; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
waa1futs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:28 PM   #39
GiRARDsays
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Send a message via AIM to GiRARDsays
Just bought an Open-Box Base Model 13in MBA for $850 after tax and the 10% off coupon at a semi-local Best Buy location. Battery had 2 Cycles on it and it was completely clean!!
__________________
Laptop: 13in Mid-2012 Macbook Air, 1.8ghz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD, OS X Mountain Lion
Mobile: AT&T iPhone 5s 32GB, Black/Space Grey
Portable: AT&T iPad Air 32GB, Black/Space Grey
GiRARDsays is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:33 PM   #40
Josh125
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
Don't shop with macmall. I had a importent order in with them earlier this week. Got a call, I had purchased to many different products from them so they flagged my account. I was asked to justify my purchase.

I explained you can give things away at the end of the year, have this thing called Christmas. I also explained they can justify me canceling my order.

Big bunch of self inflated asshats over there.
The more I thought about it the more I realized there was no reason for them not to honor their price match policy. The lame excuse didn't help them either.
__________________
3.06 GHz
Josh125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:05 PM   #41
deezayy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I snagged a base 13" and its great but the 4 gigs of ram has me worried for the long run. I've got 60 days to try it so who knows
deezayy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:44 PM   #42
mj1108
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezayy View Post
I snagged a base 13" and its great but the 4 gigs of ram has me worried for the long run. I've got 60 days to try it so who knows
I have my 2011 MBA with 4 gigs of RAM and it's still a fantastic machine. I still love it as much as the day I got it. Of course it does all depend on what you use it for, but I can't see myself upgrading from this for at least another year or two at least.
mj1108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:05 PM   #43
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezayy View Post
I snagged a base 13" and its great but the 4 gigs of ram has me worried for the long run. I've got 60 days to try it so who knows
4 gig of RAM has never been an issue for me so far. My 13" MBA works like a champ.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:08 PM   #44
awtryau89
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Well I purchased an 11" Air 128 4gig from Best Buy on Dec 29th. It was an open box and marked down. I talked them down more to $879 and they threw in a Superdrive. I went back today and they wouldn't give me any additional off. The guy told me I got a great deal and my unit would actually be $849 with the open box discount and I wouldn't get the Superdrive. He said the guy that did it could get int trouble. Not sure if he was lying but I wasn't going to press the issue too much. I have enjoyed mine for almost a month and its not going back.
awtryau89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:27 PM   #45
racer1441
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh125 View Post
The more I thought about it the more I realized there was no reason for them not to honor their price match policy. The lame excuse didn't help them either.
Good for you. They have gotten full of them selves. I have been sharing my story with everyone I can find, and even filed a complaint with the BBB.
racer1441 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:40 PM   #46
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
Well I purchased an 11" Air 128 4gig from Best Buy on Dec 29th. It was an open box and marked down. I talked them down more to $879 and they threw in a Superdrive. I went back today and they wouldn't give me any additional off. The guy told me I got a great deal and my unit would actually be $849 with the open box discount and I wouldn't get the Superdrive. He said the guy that did it could get int trouble. Not sure if he was lying but I wasn't going to press the issue too much. I have enjoyed mine for almost a month and its not going back.
Too bad - always like to hear those stories of getting even more back. Glad you are enjoying your AIR!
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:02 PM   #47
cramazing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by markintosh View Post
I just checked and Amazon is matching the price. Saved another $60 by not having to pay tax. Just ordered another base 13"!
on amazon now, i dont see the price match.
cramazing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:33 PM   #48
timeconsumer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Thanks OP, been looking to purchase an MBA for portable use. Picked up the 11.6" for $899. What a great deal.
timeconsumer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:39 PM   #49
Vikinguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezayy View Post
I snagged a base 13" and its great but the 4 gigs of ram has me worried for the long run. I've got 60 days to try it so who knows


Good lord, what do you folks do with your machines? It wasn't long ago I was running and HP with 512mb of RAM and a core solo chip. Thing ran great.



I snagged the base 13 air last night over the phone with best buy and picked it up today. I cannot wait to get it home. Replacing the first unibody macbook that still runs pretty solid. Gonna sell it for a couple bills if I can get it.
Vikinguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:22 AM   #50
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinguy View Post
Good lord, what do you folks do with your machines? It wasn't long ago I was running and HP with 512mb of RAM and a core solo chip. Thing ran great.

I snagged the base 13 air last night over the phone with best buy and picked it up today. I cannot wait to get it home. Replacing the first unibody macbook that still runs pretty solid. Gonna sell it for a couple bills if I can get it.
RAM is one of those things where the more you have, the more you use. I was fine even using a Windows 7 virtual machine with 4GB. I recently switched to a 13" rMBP and like the additional RAM (of course, on the MBP forums, people complain about not being able to put in 16GB ). The Best Buy promotion was a good deal, and I'm guessing we'll see more of it in the coming months. Good luck with the MBA. If you are replacing an original unibody MacBook I think you'll be in for a treat.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC