Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
rsted222
macrumors member

Help---My iMac (G5) is trippin' out.

It just randomly shuts off...goes black. I start it back up and it will eventually do it again. Right now I have about an hour streak going with now random shut down.

Any ideas?
rsted222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsted222 View Post
It just randomly shuts off...goes black. I start it back up and it will eventually do it again. Right now I have about an hour streak going with now random shut down.

Any ideas?
Sounds remarkably like problems I had with mine. Do a search for "G5 imac swollen capacitors". Good news is there is lots of information on DIY fixes. Could also be the power supply. if your G5 is one of the first 2 generations, easy to open/work on. If third, harder. Easy way to tell-3rd gen had the isight camera. To work on it, have to pull screen. Gen 1-2, comes apart like a dream.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
riciad
macrumors 6502

Might also be the fans. We our 1st g imac g5 was overheating and shutting down and I opened it up, cleaned it out and replaced the fans (very simple at a cost of about 25).
riciad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
giampablo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsted222 View Post

Any ideas?
First thing, check the air intake on the back of your iMac (just under the stand hinge). Me too, a couple of years ago, had random shutdowns and finally I just cleaned the outer air intake: it was fully covered with cat hairs and dust (yes, I have a cat). Problem solved.

I'm writing this in a 7 year old G5 isight iMac (2005), waiting for the new iMac.
giampablo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
rsted222
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

The first thing I did was open it up and blow it out real good.

I'll try some more of these options.

Of course, it may just be time to charge a credit card.
rsted222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac