Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:03 PM   #126
matjamca
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
Trolling aside, I do believe the iPhone 5 and 4 inch screen was without a doubt a reaction to the Android market and the increasingly larger phones. Apple will react again at some point, whether it be 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen, but for me personally it might be too late.

I LOVE all of my Apple products, I have a Macbook pro which couldnt be pried away from my hands. The iPad is awesome. I want a bigger phone though, and the only thing keeping me with iPhone for the time being is the ecosystem, however I'm constantly looking into all that would be required to switch platforms and I have to say I am close to the point where a new state of the art Samsung phone in the ~5" range would be seriously appealing to me. I'm close to switching, and can't imagine that I am the only one.
I went to the Galaxy S3 from a 4S. I gave my brother the 4S. About 3 days later I was begging for my 4S back. The S3 screen is a nice size but the OS and build quality is very poor IMO. Have the iPhone 5 now and I love it. A bigger iPhone screen would be even better though.
matjamca is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:05 PM   #127
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarsInk View Post
I miss downvoting.
Every upvote of your comment equals downvot for his. Right now, he'd be sitting at a handsome -22

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing.
Straight from the samsung marketing team
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:08 PM   #128
Mystic386
macrumors regular

Quote:
Let me ask again. Apple professed for years, 3.5 inches was the perfect screen size. And the Apple hopeful completely ate it all up and were in complete agreement. So now they believe 4 inches is perfect and that's how they advertise it. So if 4 inches is the perfect size, what about all those years at 3.5 inches?
I'm wondering whether to answer this question or not.Times change, products change, perceptions change. Screens with many have increased in size, just as the iPhone was a leap over other screens. We all have a opinions on what sizes we prefer.

To suggest "Apple hopeful" completely ate it and were in complete agreement is an unbelievable statement. Just looking at the forum you see regular comments from your "Apple hopeful" stating they want different specs to what they are getting.

Your statement is?

a/ Naive
b/ trolling
c/ poorly thought out
d/ all of the above

(Note - not intended to offend. Just a light hearted look at a comment that is so full of holes it could make a good sieve.)
Mystic386 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:11 PM   #129
maroontiger2k9
macrumors regular

october is a perfect time to launch ipads...

and the 2nd version of the iphone is at least 3 years overdue
maroontiger2k9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:14 PM   #130
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
Speaking only for myself, I said I was fine with the 3.5 inch screen because for me, the advantages of iOS and the app selection/quality far surpassed the advantages of a 1" bigger screen.

I also preferred the build quality of the iPhones. Since they moved to 4 inches and managed to make the phone only a tiny bit taller while making it thinner and lighter...SURE, why not? I don't think that makes me a hypocrite. And if they somehow manage to make a 4.7" screen while keeping the phone small by shrinking (or eliminating?) the bezel, SURE why not?

A bigger screen would be great, but not if it makes the phone heavy or bulky. And if I have to give up Airplay, my apps, and move all my iCloud stored photos and music? No way.
flux73 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:19 PM   #131
WLS
macrumors 6502a

A stretched iPad mini? I got's to say it
The new iPad maxi mini!!!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:29 PM   #132
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Focus on improving iOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I'm more interested in iOS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalone View Post
This all seems very reasonable and therefore believable.

But the focus this year needs to be iOS 7.
Exactly. I want to see something new on the iOS front.
kobyh15 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 PM   #133
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I wish Apple would get a new product idea instead of just rehashing their old lineup.
Apple just received a patent for smart iSneakers.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/wor...patent-1127395
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:35 PM   #134
Darkhrse99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
What's wrong with it exactly? I hear the anti-Apple zealots always saying how iPhone sux, iOS sux, but they never say why. "because you are bored with the home screen" isn't a reason either. I can tell you a dozen reasons why Android sucks though.

----------

What does the SG3 have that's enticing you? A larger, but inferior, screen? What is it about Samsung that people think is so innovative?

I for one want my phone to be as small and light as possible. I carry it in my front pocket, I run and workout with it, I use it with one hand while holding coffee walking down the street. These large phones may be good for people who always have two hands free, or for women who put them in their purse, but that's not me.
Here is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nh2NSLgaII

I think this video makes you think differently about the Galaxy phones. At least it made me take a closer look at my girlfriends S2. Now I know not too many people would hook a monitor up to a phone, but the potential is there! I've always been an Apple fan and have all their products. My contract is up in May and I hope the 5S is worth the wait. I didn't feel the iPhone 5 was worth paying the full price to upgrade from my 4S.
Darkhrse99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:47 PM   #135
Haswell
macrumors member

Who cares how much the phone costs. It's the monthly fees that are the real killer. Give me lower monthly rates, then I'll think about getting a smartphone/iPhone.
Haswell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:02 PM   #136
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpolygraduate View Post
So the only upgrade to the iPhone 5 -> 5S is rear camera wtf?
Seriously?

The only noticeable EXTERIOR improvement.

I'm sure all the internals will be updated just like previous S versions.

Last edited by cmichaelb; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
cmichaelb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:05 PM   #137
Darkhrse99
macrumors regular

I hope the battery gets better with the 5S. My 4S battery sucks and without Mophie, I have to have the iphone connected to a charger all the time..
Darkhrse99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:05 PM   #138
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhrse99 View Post
Here is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nh2NSLgaII

I think this video makes you think differently about the Galaxy phones. At least it made me take a closer look at my girlfriends S2. Now I know not too many people would hook a monitor up to a phone, but the potential is there! I've always been an Apple fan and have all their products. My contract is up in May and I hope the 5S is worth the wait. I didn't feel the iPhone 5 was worth paying the full price to upgrade from my 4S.
My wife bought an SIII and while the screen is nice, I can't really get into Android. There are some extra features, but I much prefer the ease of use of the iPhone.
Quote:
I hope the battery gets better with the 5S. My 4S battery sucks and without Mophie, I have to have the iphone connected to a charger all the time..
Really? My 4S has great battery life. Have you tried conditioning the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjamca View Post
I went to the Galaxy S3 from a 4S. I gave my brother the 4S. About 3 days later I was begging for my 4S back. The S3 screen is a nice size but the OS and build quality is very poor IMO. Have the iPhone 5 now and I love it. A bigger iPhone screen would be even better though.
Exactly! Sort of lol. The build quality is good, but the iPhone is great. My wife's SIII just feels awkward to me due to the screen size. Also, the fact that the icons for apps are various sizes kind of makes it harder to locate certain apps and looks sloppy IMO. Minor quibble, but still noticeable to anyone with an artistic bent.

Last edited by cmichaelb; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
cmichaelb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:18 PM   #139
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
The iPhone 5 with 99% Adobe RGB is the one with the most accurate colours, not the overblown OLED colours that are in the 115% range. And the iPhone 5 has proper RGB pixels, not PenTile as some OLED screens have, including the Galaxy S3.

Of course OLED screens could be calibrated for 100% Adobe RGB to make them accurate, but that isn't happening. Until then, the LED backlit IPS LCD is still the better option.
It is happening. Not only you have different picture modes on Android, e.g. Standard, Dynamic, Movie, you can also install various apps to calibrate OLED to any color space you want. I am not doing on my phone a movie CGI post-production, so I do prefer a bit more vivid colors.
saturn88 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:30 PM   #140
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Boy, the iPad line sure is moving fast these days... But it's about time they got rid of that massive bezel
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:54 PM   #141
Darkhrse99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelb View Post
My wife bought an SIII and while the screen is nice, I can't really get into Android. There are some extra features, but I much prefer the ease of use of the iPhone.

Really? My 4S has great battery life. Have you tried conditioning the battery?

Exactly! Sort of lol. The build quality is good, but the iPhone is great. My wife's SIII just feels awkward to me due to the screen size. Also, the fact that the icons for apps are various sizes kind of makes it harder to locate certain apps and looks sloppy IMO. Minor quibble, but still noticeable to anyone with an artistic bent.
I haven't conditioned it. I've had it for years now and figured it wouldn't help. I did have it in a regular case this past weekend and was on the phone a lot and it only lasted 6 hours.I mainly use a Mophie case and it is capable of 150% battery life, which works well for me.
Darkhrse99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:09 PM   #142
bazinga!!
macrumors member

Quote:
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
Every time I see a Samsung commercial ,which features only one thing: photo editing, I wonder who the **** gives a **** about making a birthday card on your phone.

----------

Quote:
I get about 5-6 days standby and 7 hours of using it. Not that bad.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:23 PM   #143
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Apple just received a patent for smart iSneakers.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/wor...patent-1127395
I guess at least they're trying
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:37 PM   #144
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
.....hurry up with something on the TV side! I want to dump my cable by the end of 2013.
or soooooner, PLEEEASE! I soooo want to give them 'directions'
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:33 PM   #145
scupking
macrumors 6502

I never bought an iPhone because the screen size has been always to small for me. Heck my Razzr max with a 4.3" screen could be bigger. I think 4.5 would be perfect. At that point I may think about Apple for a phone but until then I will stick with Google.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:46 PM   #146
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Either that, or you'll have a smaller home button.

Though why all the hate for bezels? It's not like I'm bothered by the one around my iPad right now. Sure, it could make for a potentially smaller device if the front is mostly screen, but it'll also make it that much more difficult to hold.
This rumor really doesn't make any sense for the full size iPad, but it's exactly what I'm hoping for on an upcoming mini.

Just cut the weight of the full size iPad -- reducing the bezels would only make it more difficult to use (even with good touch rejection). What would be gained from it? It still wouldn't get it into the range of what could be considered pocketable. What would be the point?

The mini, on the other hand, would become my dream large(ish) portable device with this bezel reduction. I'm hangin with the Nexus 7 till this hopefully comes along.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:07 PM   #147
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
At least TRY not to be obvious about your trolling.
Apple having a 4-inch screen is trolling.
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:11 PM   #148
cube
macrumors G3

October would be too late. It should come out in April at the latest.

And a 128GB option is required.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:44 PM   #149
hobx
macrumors regular

I want the iPad 5 already. Can't get on board with the mini, the screen is just too small. But a smaller lighter version of my ipad 4 sounds great!
hobx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:49 PM   #150
Eric E. Schmidt
macrumors member

phones will soon die off, the ipad is where it's at. the iphone, while successful, is merely a side step, a dip in a world where people rely on traditional voice services. i expect the ipad to shrink to pocketable size rather than iphone to grow.
Eric E. Schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion