Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020

VPN can't connect after new public IP address

Note: I am fairly new to server administration. It is entirely possible I'm missing something obvious here.

I have an OSX server machine configured for VPN access, and everything was working perfectly until the Public IP address changed. Now when I attempt to connect client machines to the network using the VPN Host Name, it doesn't work. I can, however, input the new Public IP address into the Host Name field on the client computer, and it connects fine.

I've tried creating and distributing new Configuration Profiles on the server, but they don't seem to make any difference.

I suppose what I'm asking is how to I get the VPN clients to look for the new Public IP address? I'd like to continue using my VPN Host Name and not have to manually input the IP address into each client.
pdpfilms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfilms View Post
Note: I am fairly new to server administration. It is entirely possible I'm missing something obvious here.

I have an OSX server machine configured for VPN access, and everything was working perfectly until the Public IP address changed. Now when I attempt to connect client machines to the network using the VPN Host Name, it doesn't work. I can, however, input the new Public IP address into the Host Name field on the client computer, and it connects fine.

I've tried creating and distributing new Configuration Profiles on the server, but they don't seem to make any difference.

I suppose what I'm asking is how to I get the VPN clients to look for the new Public IP address? I'd like to continue using my VPN Host Name and not have to manually input the IP address into each client.
I take it your internet connection is on a dynamic ip and not static. Do you use a service such as dyndns that will automatically update if your dynamic public ip changes? If not that might be something to look into. That way you wouldn't have to change the host name as it would be something like: mydomain.dyndns.org.
BlendedFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
malofx
macrumors newbie

What you need is dyndns.org this will change your IP address when ever it changes. I had that setup and it worked great.
malofx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4
mabaty
macrumors member

Agree DynDNS is your best bet, you'll have to run an app on the machine to check against your public ip, unless your router supports DynDNS natively. OR you can buy a static IP from your ISP.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:34 AM   #5
BlendedFrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaty View Post
Agree DynDNS is your best bet, you'll have to run an app on the machine to check against your public ip, unless your router supports DynDNS natively. OR you can buy a static IP from your ISP.
Most modern routers support custom dns and the ability to use services such as dyndns.
BlendedFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:09 PM   #6
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020

I'm running the server through a new Airport Extreme. It'll be fine with dynDNS?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
malofx
macrumors newbie

Yes it will be fine, you should try it now.
malofx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:54 AM   #8
mabaty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendedFrog View Post
Most modern routers support custom dns and the ability to use services such as dyndns.
I was referring to DynDNS specifically.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:26 PM   #9
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020

Hey everyone, thanks for the help.

So the main problem was that we didn't have a static IP, which is being added as I type. My new question is this- If I use OSX server to create new configuration files, will they reflect the new IP address? The reason I ask is that after our IP address changed for the first time and I tried this, the configuration files I recreated did not allow computers to VPN in.

Last edited by pdpfilms; Feb 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store